Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Is It Time To Trade For major Tarde OL Player

The front office obviously felt comfortable with the lineman we have. It won't take long to see if they were right.

My major problem is this.

Take a look around the league at some other teams offensive lines. You'll see rookies and 2nd year players starting and contributing. Why hasn't/isn't that happening with the Ravens? Are we not drafting well? Is it the coaching? What gives?

We trade up to get a guy like Terry and like Fanatic said, he's barely serviceable now. Same goes with Brown.

Im telling you, something is screwed up big time.

It's pretty obvious that the coaching staff is very loyal to the veterans and that isn't helping either. Seems like they aren't willing to go through a few growing pains with the young guys. But if they dont' do that, then the young guys are just gonna ride the bench and never cut their teeth with legitmate live action. And we're left with wondering why we have to watch Flynn year in and year out.

Whatever it is, it's almost laughable that we're sitting here less than 2 weeks before the 2006 season and STILL talking about this issue.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe
    It's pretty obvious that the coaching staff is very loyal to the veterans and that isn't helping either.

Cowher was criticized for the exact same thing following that miserable Steelers season.

Billick has always been loyal to a fault. I don't think that's going to change.
    Also, we've got a great Oline coach that got FIRED in Miami.

Defensive guys keep getting hired away and most of the same offensive people were around until the owner stepped in and said "this person needs to go".

Where is the accountability for poor coaching on this team?

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRaven
    Billick has always been loyal to a fault. I don't think that's going to change.
    I agree, but (and I know PP will enjoy this), on the news the other night (can't remember which channel), he threw Mason under the bus, for running a missed route on the INT to Smoot. However, he can't admit that he F'd up on the running play before the half, in the previous game.:grbac:

P.S.-not trying to hijack, just an observation.

To me the only thing that has changed is that we can no longer blame it all on the quarterback for making the line look bad. We are forced to accept that the OL does, indeed, SUCK!
    Our line has sucked for years to me it seems like just a philosophical disconnect.. Oz and the boys think any fat guy can be a successful OL and so they place no particular value on looking for top tier people. I also think our OL coaching sucks, these guys never seem to develop. As someone else posted, other teams bring along guys by their second year, by the second year most of our OL draftees have barely seen the field.. WHY??
    I really blame Ozzie for this mess and hope he is held accountable if the season doesn't go well.

Interesting article about David Carr I just read.Sound Familiar?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/4145078.html

I have to say that Ozzie's track record for the draft is legandary. To draft two HOF players in the same draft, in the same round is incredible. I like the way Ozzie operates and I respect him. That being said, they spent countless hours eveluating the season last year before they made any decisions. The group (Biscotti, Ozzie, Eric, Brian) came to a concensus that we could win with this offensive line. It's hard to imagine that Ozzie would lay his name on the line for that group. Other then JO, they are fairly plain and ordinary.

It is obvious that if the Ravens cannot run the ball effectively on the road they become very predictable and as it seems quite easy to defend. McNair will not last 5 games in if the oline plays as they did in Minn. Also the oline coach and Billick should be teaching them how to fire off the ball in unison without hearing the snap count and working as one. I was starting to trust Foerster somewhat after the iggles game. Now I am again not very confident in his coaching ability. This is the NFL. Games on the road in a hostile environment are pretty common. Its coaching and talent level.

If the FO and Billick were content with this group then we should see coaching make up for lack of talent to a degree. I haven't seen it.

We are not a good football team on the road. Especially falling behind in the score. We are not built to become pass happy and protect the QB. I still have trouble believing Ozzie would lay his reputation on this offensive line. It is out there for all to see.

I agree, but (and I know PP will enjoy this), on the news the other night (can't remember which channel), he threw Mason under the bus, for running a missed route on the INT to Smoot. However, he can't admit that he F'd up on the running play before the half, in the previous game.
    Actually, that was Clayton who screwed up that route.

You guys should all know by now that Bilick will never admit anything to the press.

Some might argue that some of our OL players (especially on the right side) ARE major tardes.
    She had me at "Hell, NO!"

Quote Originally Posted by BaltimoreRon
    Some might argue that some of our OL players (especially on the right side) ARE major tardes.

Hank Fraley is available..kind of late but the Eagles are willing to make trades.

12. Re: Is It Time To Trade For major Tarde OL Player

Jacksonville just lost Greg Jones for the season and Fred Taylor hasn't been durable in years. We've worked friendly deals with Jack Del Rio before. Maybe give up some running back depth for a decent tackle? They might be able to spare Kalif Barnes (dreaming and coming off an injury), Stockar McDougle or Mike Williams for top RB backup?

I'd love to keep the RB depth but feel strongly that it will be wasted unless we add another quality/half-decent OT to at least improve our depth if not bump Pashos to a backup where he belongs.