Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. Re: Is It Time To Trade For major Tarde OL Player

Anyone else surprised at the number trades other teams are pulling off so close to the season? I hope this trend continues because it could be really good for the league.

Re: Is It Time To Trade For major Tarde OL Player

I wonder if anyone with any sort of value will be cut. We could use a good OL for sure
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

A lot has been said about our future O-lineman, which begs the question....Is Billick, being under the gun, mortgaging our future because of a must win mentality?

The O-line will be the last and final piece that Billick has not handled properly and, in so doing, will expose him for what he really is. Unfortunately at the expense of our future.

Keep in mind that I am not trying to play "negative Nelly" here. The "buck" has to start and end somewhere. Can you suggest another courtyard?
    SS

Quote Originally Posted by Raineman
    A lot has been said about our future O-lineman, which begs the question....Is Billick, being under the gun, mortgaging our future because of a must win mentality?

The O-line will be the last and final piece that Billick has not handled properly and, in so doing, will expose him for what he really is. Unfortunately at the expense of our future.

Keep in mind that I am not trying to play "negative Nelly" here. The "buck" has to start and end somewhere. Can you suggest another courtyard?
    Well, how about the GM - the one who actually acquires the talent (or non-talents) on the OL?

And, how is Billick mortgaging our future? Just because he isn't playing young guys right now? Umm, most of those guys who aren't playing - Terry, Brown, Chester - will be here for at least 3 more years, so regardless of what happens this year, they are still the future. The bottom line is that if Billick, and the coaching staff, thought they could help now, they would play them - after all, having the best players playing gives the team its best chance to win, which would be Billick's best chance of keeping his job, right?
    Last edited by B-more Ravor; 08-28-2006 at 09:11 PM.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Since Billick is not the GM I would say know. Ozzie Newsome has ignored the line for years. In case people forget, the line sucked with Mitchell and Rabach and every other bargain rate scrub Ozzie has brought in the last 8 years.
    How long did he ignore the wr adn qb position?

Another courtyard has been suggested, and I never made Oz or Steve B. exempt in this either. They have given the players to BB. He is the one that chooses how to use them. If he is wrong, it is on him. But he chooses to be wrong (if that is the case) at the expense of our future by not getting valuable playing time and him actually expecting a different result with the same tools.

Once again BRavor- Nobody is exempt here. But someone has to take on the oneness, and Brian just seems to be the same "unscolded" self that he is. Excuse the analogy, but he could fast become the "T.O. of coaches" by giving us the same product with a different cover.

There was no secret that the O-line was the first and foremost priority that needed to be addressed this offseason. This was the consensus around most of the football genre. Yet it remains the most stagnant part of our team. Yes, it has been addressed, but with players that all need development (even in their second year) and not ones that can make an immediate impact. Draft was not an option. It was spent on D-line (which I agree was needed-as far as Ray was concerned) and our inability to acquire impacting free agents where needed the most (Yes, I went there) was exposed.

As Forrest Gump said, Thats all I have to say about that.
    SS

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan86
    I have to say that Ozzie's track record for the draft is legandary. To draft two HOF players in the same draft, in the same round is incredible. I like the way Ozzie operates and I respect him. That being said, they spent countless hours eveluating the season last year before they made any decisions. The group (Biscotti, Ozzie, Eric, Brian) came to a concensus that we could win with this offensive line. It's hard to imagine that Ozzie would lay his name on the line for that group. Other then JO, they are fairly plain and ordinary.

It is obvious that if the Ravens cannot run the ball effectively on the road they become very predictable and as it seems quite easy to defend. McNair will not last 5 games in if the oline plays as they did in Minn. Also the oline coach and Billick should be teaching them how to fire off the ball in unison without hearing the snap count and working as one. I was starting to trust Foerster somewhat after the iggles game. Now I am again not very confident in his coaching ability. This is the NFL. Games on the road in a hostile environment are pretty common. Its coaching and talent level.

If the FO and Billick were content with this group then we should see coaching make up for lack of talent to a degree. I haven't seen it.

We are not a good football team on the road. Especially falling behind in the score. We are not built to become pass happy and protect the QB. I still have trouble believing Ozzie would lay his reputation on this offensive line. It is out there for all to see.
    I don't get what you mean about Ozzie. It's his job to build the team and if he thought the O-line wasn't up to snuff, it's his job to fix it. He's the GM and oversees the talent, not the coaching staff. I totally agree with AZRaven, this mess falls directly at the feet of Ozzie if it doesn't work out.

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor
    Well, how about the GM - the one who actually acquires the talent (or non-talents) on the OL?

And, how is Billick mortgaging our future? Just because he isn't playing young guys right now? Umm, most of those guys who aren't playing - Terry, Brown, Chester - will be here for at least 3 more years, so regardless of what happens this year, they are still the future. The bottom line is that if Billick, and the coaching staff, thought they could help now, they would play them - after all, having the best players playing gives the team its best chance to win, which would be Billick's best chance of keeping his job, right?

Bingo, great post Ravor. I don't believe for one second that the coaching staff is not playing the best players. Billick knows that he's on the hot seat, that loyalty stuff is pure BS, the guy wants to win.

Keep an eye on this situation: (hear that OZZIE!!)

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twinci...a/15383722.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Raineman
    Another courtyard has been suggested, and I never made Oz or Steve B. exempt in this either. They have given the players to BB. He is the one that chooses how to use them. If he is wrong, it is on him. But he chooses to be wrong (if that is the case) at the expense of our future by not getting valuable playing time and him actually expecting a different result with the same tools.v
    Again, he can only play the players that he has been given. If he is choosing not to play some of the young linemen than it is because he and the coaching staff (with input from the FO as well, I sure) feel that the gusy they are playing give the team the best chance to win. Yeah, it sucks that that all we've got - but that's the reality.

Once again BRavor- Nobody is exempt here. But someone has to take on the oneness, and Brian just seems to be the same "unscolded" self that he is. Excuse the analogy, but he could fast become the "T.O. of coaches" by giving us the same product with a different cover.
    And, what of your criticism has anything to do with Billick? The only thing you have remotely said that could be Billick's fault is that he is somehow not playing the young guys and mortgaging our future. Hello, this team isn't about the future - it's about getting to another SB before Ray and Ogden retire and before Rolle, Mason and McNair get too old to contribute. This team is all about the here and now - and that is why Billick is playing the guys that he thinks gives him the best chance of winning. Again, it sucks that that's the best we've got, but until one of the younger guys truly steps up - that's it.

There was no secret that the O-line was the first and foremost priority that needed to be addressed this offseason. This was the consensus around most of the football genre. Yet it remains the most stagnant part of our team. Yes, it has been addressed, but with players that all need development (even in their second year) and not ones that can make an immediate impact. Draft was not an option. It was spent on D-line (which I agree was needed-as far as Ray was concerned) and our inability to acquire impacting free agents where needed the most (Yes, I went there) was exposed.
    And, again, that is on Ozzie. You keep bringing Billick into your rant, but much of your criticism is misplaced.

Quote Originally Posted by 52decleetzu
    Keep an eye on this situation: (hear that OZZIE!!)
    Yeah, I kept hearing the names of Liwienski and Rosenthal in the 2nd half on Friday night and was somewhat astonished that those guys were now back-ups.

I would definitely take a look at Rosenthal (also, he played for Fassel in NY) if he gets cut loose. IMO, OT is the more pressing need. Hell, I'd even offer Minn a lower round draft pick for their trouble. Granted, it's going to be tough for any OLmen to come onto the team now and get up to speed, so he may not be able to make an immediate impact. Still, we're one OT short at this point anyway, IMO, since we only have 3 viable ones on the roster. When you carry 9 OL on the 53-man roster, you usually are looking to carry 4 OTs, and after Ogden, Terry and Pashos, we've got no one that is deserving.

I've never held back on my dislike for Billick, here or on YBR. However, it seems convenient for you to miss my "nobody is exempt here" statement.

Hell, I was just asking the questions. Since you have all the answers, I'll stop.
    SS