Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Film Study

Re: My Film Study

Quote Originally Posted by Gwaihir View Post
    My only problem with Flac yesterday was the play to D-Will that ended up being Intercepted. DWill had good separation and if Flac airs it out it's 6 for us instead of picked.

He always seems to underthrow the deep balls, especially to D-Will, I hope this is just a timing issue and works itslef out, he did the same thing against Tennessee. It's like he just underestimates the speed of our receivers as well as the DB's.

If he can fix this.... .... the sky's the limit!
    He's underthrowing short too though, and he's floating screen passes.

All things that can be fixed, but they need to be fixed now.

Just as a little side note...the most trouble he has had this season is against teams that run the cover 2. I am not saying this is an excuse but it definitly shows where he needs to work in film study. He has to understand how to pick apart the zone and use it to his advantage.

Of course to do this you need a line that can protect for more than a 3 step drop.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    7 INT's with 1 TD and I am wrong?

PP makes a great point that our WR corp is average at best. So yes, his targets are limited and that may explain the 1 TD. I get that.

But, as Stinger pointed out in another post, it's one thing if these were rookie mistakes. It's quite another when he stares down receivers, throws into double and triple coverage and cant seem to learn the very basic of QB skills -- throwing the ball away!

David Steele and, dare I say it, Preston, both point out something I had forgotten or simply chose to block out of my mind -- Flacco missed the most basic of passes, having dirted short throws and throwing high on the throws to the RB out of the backfield.

My GM haze has worn off so I am not going to thrown in my STFU card just yet. But my concern for his abilities have increased a lot of the past three games.

camdenyard, instead of insults, how about debating some facts? Where am I "wrong" here?
    I heard on the radio today that Troy Aikman, Eli Manning, and Peyton Manning all threw 7 picks in their first 5 games.

I think that if you're evaluating a rookie QB, especially one without prior NCAA Div. I experience, you don't go so much by the on field performance the first year. You look to see if he has poise, an arm, pocket awareness, able to throw accurately on timing patterns. That sort of thing.

Year 2 should show marked improvement as long as the team has a decent OL and recievers. If he isn't showing anything by then it's reasonable to start worrying in earnest.

So far Flacco has looked way better than Eli Manning in his first year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lap View Post
    You look to see if he has poise, an arm, pocket awareness, able to throw accurately on timing patterns. That sort of thing.
    Huh?
    This guy couldn't find an open receiver if he had a strobe light on his head. Pocket awarness? He stands back there like a statue waiting to get sacked while trying to find Mason. His accuracy both short and long has left much to be desired. Doesn't ever step up in the pocket. Basically he looks like what he is, and should be on the bench learning. Now the kid in Atalanta has showed these things, but not Flacco.

Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by POPSinPA View Post
    Huh?
    This guy couldn't find an open receiver if he had a strobe light on his head. Pocket awarness? He stands back there like a statue waiting to get sacked while trying to find Mason. His accuracy both short and long has left much to be desired. Doesn't ever step up in the pocket. Basically he looks like what he is, and should be on the bench learning. Now the kid in Atalanta has showed these things, but not Flacco.

Are you watching the same games as the rest of us?

He has completed 10+ consecutive passes in two straight games...
    He has evaded the rush all the way accross the field on at least one occasion...

You are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by POPSinPA View Post
    Huh?

I see his abilities much much differently, but then scouts checking out college talent often disagree on the same individual too. It's hard to evaluate young talent that hasn't developed yet. Time will tell. More young QB's fail than succeed so you and the Flacco detractors have the odds on your side.

I still say he's going to be a very good NFL QB and I admit that I could be wrong too.