Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Who likes WR Roy Williams?

Boldin is signed through 2010 despite some people thinking he's a FA after this season.

Williams is signed through this season with 2009 being a voidable year. Basically, he's gonna be a free agent.

Why would anyone want to cough up a 1st rounder for a guy in the middle of the 2008 season when he will be on the market 5 months later.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by The Fanatic View Post
    Solid at what?

If either one of those two cats were "solid" this thread probably isn't even started on here.

I doubt either one of those two could do what Mason does right now even if we had a true #1 and Mason was gone.

Neither IMO will amount to much more then they are now which is perhaps a #3 at best with having a true #1 on board.

No way do we cough up a #1 in the draft.
    I think Clayton and Williams are good Wrs. If they played for the Saints they would have big numbers. I see decent speed, hands quickness and route running in both guys. Williams has decent size but both are pretty small complimentary type WRs. The Ravens need a WR who can draw double coverage and beat it. I think if we had someone who did that, Clayton, Mason, D Williams and Heap would get 1 on 1 matchups they would beat more often.

Boldin is under contract for 3 more years and is going to be much harder to get. i am also not sure he is better than Roy Williams, he just lines up accross from Fitzgerald who I think is the best Wr in the NFL.

You really need a bunch of good WRs with different skills and size. Someone has to go accross the middle and be a big target for the Qb and the safties.

I think Clayton has been a HUGE disapointment.

He is a small possession WR who struggles to get separation and contrary to his rep in college, sucks at YAC.

D-Will has potential to have a Keenan McCardell type career if he can stay healthy.

Niether have lived up to expectations and that is why we are still complaining about lack of playmakers out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I think Clayton has been a HUGE disapointment.

He is a small possession WR who struggles to get separation and contrary to his rep in college, sucks at YAC.

D-Will has potential to have a Keenan McCardell type career if he can stay healthy.

Niether have lived up to expectations and that is why we are still complaining about lack of playmakers out there.
    Look at the Jags WR who were drafted ahead of Clayton. Jones and Williams have done about the same or less than Clayton so far. Wrs take time to develop and you have to have a QB.

The only time Clayton and Williams had a QB was 2006 with McNair and they had good numbers.

Clayton was the slot receiver in his rookie year and he did well. Then Mason, as I recall, kinda demanded that he be the slot guy and now he is doing well.

That seems to be the "go to" position in our offense. When Clayton switched positions his productivity plummeted. I think they are both (Clayton and Williams) better than they are showing lately. I see Clayton getting open at times but Flacco just doesn't look his way as often. He's not suited to be the wide out, he's more of a slot guy, possession type receiver.

When Mason retires or gets injured, Clayton will be able to step in and do a decent job. We need a big fast burner to complement that position though.

As for Clayton's ability to run with the ball, he didn't do too badly on the end around.

I still have faith that D. Williams is good enough to play in the NFL and to help the Ravens but the offense needs to open up some before he'll get his chance. He has speed, good hands and the ability to adjust to the ball but his route running leaves something to be desired. I hope that coaching will fix that.

I'd give probably a second and third for him. Two firsts will never happen...no one's paying two first round picks for a lease on a guy they're gonna have to pay big money for 12 games from now. Honestly, because of that, I'd hesitate giving a second and third for him, and just shoot for him in the off-season, and if not him then some of the other FA or draftable WRs...

FWIW, WR is a big need for us, but it's definitely not our #1 need.

- C -

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    I'd give probably a second and third for him. Two firsts will never happen...no one's paying two first round picks for a lease on a guy they're gonna have to pay big money for 12 games from now. Honestly, because of that, I'd hesitate giving a second and third for him, and just shoot for him in the off-season, and if not him then some of the other FA or draftable WRs...

FWIW, WR is a big need for us, but it's definitely not our #1 need.

- C -

I'd give a 1st and maybe a 5th for him. As much as I would think we need a corner or safety as a bigger need, Wide Receiver to me now seems our biggest need. Mason isn't going to be here that much longer and he's a possession receiver. Clayton as a 1st rounder is a bust. And it seems like they don't have enough faith in Williams to truly get him involved in the offense as a deep threat.

I think if we're going to have a functioning offense, it's time to put stud receiver at the top of the list.

I'll pass thanks, far too inconsistent. Having watched a number of Lions games in the last few years he drops way too many passes, his blocking is poor and his reactions and intelligence working back to the QB when he moves out of the pocket etc. is pretty poor. No doubt he's the sort of big play threat that this offence could do with, but why surrender a 1st round pick (a round that Ozzie far more often than not hits out of the ballpark for a consistent, top level starter) for an inconsistent WR?

I think Clayton will step up this season after Cam lets Flac air out the ball on more plays. Just once I want to see the following drive in my Life:

Ravens return to the 36 (no flags)
    1-10 from the 36 Pass Flacco to Heap gain of 14
    1-10 from the 50 Pass Flacco to Mason gain of 25
    1-10 from the 25 Pass Flacco to Clayton TD !!!!

Then Stover extra point is GOOD !!!

Wow if that ever happens I might offer $5.00 shirts for $3 !!! LOL Just think of it as the New 3 and OUT !!! LOL I am sure the D would rather keep the drive a 8 min plus clock burn ... But I am praying to the FOOTBALL GOD !!! JUST ONCE !!!

"It is not how you play the game that matters... It is Winning The Super Bowl that counts"... Rumor Ray

Baltimore Has 10 Pro Football Championships!
    Baltimore Colts [NFL] in 1958, 1959, 1968, and 1970
    Baltimore Stars [USFL] in 1985
    Baltimore Stallions [CFL] in 1995
    Baltimore Ravens [NFL] in 2000 and 2012
    Baltimore Mariners [AIFA] in 2010
    Baltimore Mariners [AIF] in 2014

I dont know. I just dont see it.

When I think of Clayton, I think of a WR who gives up on his routes and doesnt give that extra something to go get the ball.

Flac can air it out all he wants. I juts dont see it mattering much as far as Clayton is concerned.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

T.O. drops a lot of passes too. This guy always seems to have @100 yards and a TD or two at the end of the game. I had him on a fantasy football contest leauge, and he was just killing every week for me. He had like 2 or 3 bad games, but pretty much got me good production in every game. He was also the only threat in Detroit for a long time.

I am not sure about the blocking and the coming back to the ball and all the subtle stuff, but that is what the coaches are for. He seems like a pretty smart guy in interviews. I think he will be a star for a long time, and worth a 1st and a 3rd even with only 1 year on his deal left. We can tag him, and draft picks are still a bigger gamble particuarally if you want to draft a WR.

The fact that drafted WRs normally take a few years to develop makes grabbing Roy Williams more attractive.

A guy who can step right in, learn the basics of the offense and start producing immediately would be ideal for us. I can only imagine how happy I would be if the Ravens were considered a threat to go deep at any time...