Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: I'm starting to lose respect for Mason

I have no problem with anyone voicing about where they want to play next, to do that they have to play well in there current enviroment. If he acts like a dick on the field then we have a problem. Until then this doesnt really bother me. Marvin harrison does this from time to time...granted he doesnt say he wants out but he still voices his displeasure

All I'm saying is, on the one hand you have almost two full seasons of saying and doing all the right things, and on the other hand, you have this one stray quote that in isolation is kind of ugly.

I'll give him credit for two seasons of class, character and skill before I start complaining about one bad quote.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

I'll give him credit for two seasons of class, character and skill before I start complaining about one bad quote.
    This is 100% on the mark. The man has shown nothing but class since he got here. Earlier this season he was not afraid to give the offense bad grades (mostly before Fassel got the boot), and folks generally admired his honesty for it.
    Now he makes one small negative comment about his involvement in the offense and some of you are practically calling for his head?
    People in this town freak out at any little comment.
    I could not possibly agree more!

Clayton has said that DMase has helped him a lot, first to get through his rookie year, then to make the adjustments that would help him be more in synch with McNair. A selfish player doesn't do that, a team player does.

Some folks around here need to seriously cut Mr. Mason some slack.
    "Well, I'd rather live with the hound dogs, for the rest of my natural-born life." Swamp Music by Lynyrd Skynyrd

If Mason reacted to situations half as badly as some of the posters on Internet football boards, THEN I'd be worried...

As it stands, his comments don't concern me one bit. Look at how open Jamal has been with the media in the past and yet on Sundays when he's grinding our opponents into dust in the 3rd and 4th quarters I don't seem to hear anyone complaining about him...

UNLEASH THE BEASTS!!!!

Now he makes one small negative comment about his involvement in the offense and some of you are practically calling for his head?
    Well just a minute. This isn't the first "small negative comment" he's made either. He did some of this last year too.

And I've never heard Marvin Harrison complain. The guy has had double digit touchdowns and over 1000 yards and over 80 completions a year for the last 8 years. Not once have I seen a single quote from Harrison about not getting the ball or not being appreciated.

And I've never heard Marvin Harrison complain.
    I know I've seen little snippits of Marvin not being happy about not getting looks. I did a quick search and found this . There has been some pouting from him.

4. The Indianapolis defense certainly deserves the criticism leveled at the unit. But three second-half points against the Titans is inexcusable.

Is Marvin Harrison a problem in Indy?

A week after pouting through a one-catch, 8-yard performance in a victory over Philadelphia, Harrison was the focus of Indy’s offense against the Titans. He caught seven balls for a 172 yards and a TD.

Good for Marvin. However, Indy’s offense works best when Peyton Manning is spreading the ball and not worried about spoon-feeding Marvin enough balls so that Marvin is happy enough to avoid letting a DB strip away a perfectly thrown Manning bullet.

My local rap boy Tech N9ne made a song about Marvin Harrison. The song, “Mitch Bade,” came out in the mid-1990s. It’s still relevant.
    http://sports.aol.com/whitlock/nfl/_...07111409990001

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    And I've never heard Marvin Harrison complain. .
    There was most definitely rumblings out of Indy about Marvin being unhappy with his role this season.

Here's a blurb from the 11/26 edition of the IndyStar.

The writer is answering a question about Marvin not being happy with Manning and his role.

"First, James. Yes, you noticed as I did that Marvin was an unhappy camper during this game. I mention it in my wrapup blog. Harrison is always surly when he doesn't get enough catches. And because the great one is so moody, it's hard to get a read on what is enough. The Colts played well on offense. Addai ran wild. Reggie Wayne couldn't be stopped when they needed him. So Marvin only got two balls thrown to him. It won't happen often, this much I'm sure, but you were astute in this observation, no question. Neither Marvin nor Peyton will ever address that situation. Marvin probably won't say anything and Peyton is too smart to rip Marvin. But watch next week. Harrison will have a monster game at Tennessee next week and all will be forgotten. That's the way it's gone down in the past when Marvin has sulked about being "under-appreciated."

So I guess Marvin has sulked about his role more than once in Indy. Now, his personality is different than Mason's in that he won't comment on it.

I can understand people not liking to hear Mason vent a bit but that's what you get.

People seemed to like Mason when he would speak his mind about things last season. Now he's speaking his and it's rubbing the wrong way.

Again, NFL players, especially WRs have egos that sometimes rub us the wrong way. Would it have been better not said? Sure.

However, the overreaction to Mason's comments is what gets me the most. People acting like they can't believe a guy would say this and that it's so out of the ordinary. AND that it's a big deal. Please people. It's not.

PP

Mason is a terrific pro, I'm glad we have had him but he wears his heart on his sleeve. He is not the ideal team player because he speaks or acts his mind too often in the public forum. I was put off last year when Mason threw a temper tantrum on the playing field because Billick wouldn't challenge a no catch call. Other players might be just as upset by something but they keep it over on the sidelines, or in the locker room and don't act out publicly, or whine to the press. Apparently, numerous players went to Billick about Fassell but Mason was most vocal about the offenses problems to the press and the public. Sure you want players that are fiery and competitive, but you don't want a player that whines to the press several times a year. I don't think it is just this incedent that many people are reacting to. Although this incident in particular is more me-oriented then past incidents.

I would be very suprised if Mason is here next year. Mason is an aging vet on the downside of his career. Clayton is being groomed to be the number one and D. Williams will be the future number two. Mason is a competitor and he sees the writing on the wall. Clayton and Williams have a huge upside. They are the future and they are being given chances as the primary that were formally given to Mason. Everytime Mason opens his mouth he probably makes it more likely he will be elsewhere sooner rather than later.

That being said, he could be very big in the remaining games and I'm sure he will continue to give 100% regardless of any of his comments.

PP, what they guy wrote was pure speculation. It was just that, a "rumbling". And it was emphasized when he said:

"Neither Marvin nor Peyton will ever address that situation. Marvin probably won't say anything and Peyton is too smart to rip Marvin."

The guy is already on 90 catches for 1292 yards and 11 touchdowns. I doubt very highly he's going to tell someone in the media that he was unhappy or felt unappreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    PP, what they guy wrote was pure speculation. It was just that, a "rumbling". And it was emphasized when he said:
    [/QUOTE]That's the way it's gone down in the past when Marvin has sulked about being "under-appreciated."[/QUOTE]

Cmon Stinger.

It was reported earlier this season that Marvin was pissed. He had 1 TD through 5 games and that's when this stuff started to surface.

The above quote certainly shows, to me at least, that Harrison has been unhappy in the past as well..

Again, I could do without what Mason said. But Im not gonna start throwing him under the bus because of it either.

This town is too thin skinned about EVERYTHING. We've had these conversations before. Just listen to talk radio. After the Bengals loss, you would've thought this team wasn't making the playoffs. It goes on and on and to me, this is just another example. He didn't call out anyone. His voiced some frustration.

I will certainly be critical of him if he doesn't play 100%. But he's too much of a professional for that.

And like I said before, I think he's gonna have a big impact in the playoffs.

PP

PP, again it was REPORTED. There is no quote from Harrison, like we have with Mason. And reported while Marvin was in the middle of another record setting year? And you're telling me to come on?

I'll tell you this, if Marvin Harrison has been unhappy with the last 8 years, than he is worse than TO and Randy Moss put together.

As for Mason, throwing him under the bus is a little harsh. But at the same time, it's a little frustrating to hear him make those kind of comments publically in a 12-3 season when we're one game from clinching a first-round bye, because it makes him look selfish.

Sigh.

OK dude.

You wanna get on Mason, go ahead.

I was just pointing out that even guys that have good reputations (like Harrison and Mason) aren't all hunky dorey all the time.

Again, this guy's quote:

"That's the way it's gone down in the past when Marvin has sulked about being "under-appreciated."

The guy specifically said how Marvin has sulked about being under-appreciated in the past. Is he lying? I guess he could be but that's a pretty bold statement if he's completely making it up.

"Since I already stand accused of dwelling on the negative, and at this late hour nobody else is going to scoop us on this, I advised my colleagues and particularly columnist Bob Kravitz that Colts receiver Marvin Harrison was an unhappy camper during this game. Harrison walked off the field, a la LeBron James earlier this NBA season, to the locker room as the Colts were kicking a last-second field goal to finish the first half. Harrison was obviously upset with not getting more balls thrown his way. The future Hall of Fame receiver caught one pass for eight yards the whole game. Dispirited for much of the night, he sulked at the left end of the Colts’ bench. His body language spoke volumes. I mention this now because it’s what some will be talking about later today when the spotlight returns to the Colts’ complex. Some will suggest we, as reporters, are making too much of it. But is it too much to ask from a great receiver that he share in the victory and not pout because he didn't have a great night? Our history with Harrison has always been touchy at best. He’s dissed us after catching three touchdowns in a game. That’s just him. He doesn’t want to talk about what he does. He wants his play to speak for himself. But his actions weren’t exactly professional this night. It took away from going 10-1.

My point is that this shit happens alot but for some reason people in this town can't accept it. Imagine if Mason walked off the field like that. People would FREAK out.

Again, Im not agreeing with what Mason said or condoning it.

We're just going in circles now. The only play this quote is getting is on here between us. It's just not a big deal IMO.

PP
    Last edited by purplepoe; 12-31-2006 at 01:19 AM.

I'm not "getting on" Mason. He made a comment that didn't sit right with me. That's not "getting on" him. I'm not out here saying cut the guy or bench him or whatnot.

And as for that guy, he is speculating. If you think he's the only reporter out there that makes bold statements that aren't exactly "accurate", you never read Mike Preston. Marvin Harrison has NEVER TO THE PRESS voiced displeasure with the Colts. There is no quote anyone can link to of Marvin Harrison saying any such thing, which BTW was my original point. And there is no reason for him to, he's once again statistically one of the better receivers in Football. So if he's somehow complaining, then he's worse than T.O.

I don't listen to other people telling me what someone is saying. I listen to the person that actually said it.

if you believe ray voiced displeasue it isn't so hard to see Marvin doing the same. for example the phrase no comment never was scuntized so intenesely before right here in baltimore. quietly they both got there messages accross without saying a word...which is what I initially brought up about marvin. the guy is a pro, but if he isn't getting the ball, he gets the word out one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyraven View Post
    I know I've seen little snippits of Marvin not being happy about not getting looks. I did a quick search and found this . There has been some pouting from him.

http://sports.aol.com/whitlock/nfl/_...07111409990001

The article does not say "a week after alleged rumblings from Marvin Harrison," it says a week after rumblings. It speaks as fact that Marvin was complaining, but it must not have been a big deal. Same in this situation. Yiu cannot begrudge a player that wants to be more involved.

As Aaron Wilson said on his show yesterday morning, "the players are okay with what Mason said, so us fans should be okay." We fans are making this more of a distraction than the situation calls. It is not as if Mason spit on someone or fell asleep during a team meeting.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!