Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: I'm starting to lose respect for Mason

Look, I'm not throwing Mason under the bus, but even if these comments were in response to a question (very likely), he didn't need to respond with something like, "Hopefully, one day you'll be appreciated, whether that's with the current team you're at or someplace else." The Ravens are looking to wrap up a bye and he's talking about being appreciated at the next team he plays for? Sorry, but that's ridiculous. I think he's plenty appreciated here, and I hope he has some great games in the playoffs, but these remarks were not necessary at all. Whether it was an answer to a question or not.

The man wants to contribute more to our success. What is wrong with that?

I will say that I don't want passes going his way if he is not getting open. I don't want us forcing balls Mason's way just to get him the ball, however with the way Clayton is playing, teams will start doubling Clayton. Of course, you can't double Clayton, Heap, Mason AND Williams.

Mason will get his chances very soon.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

The only thing that really bothers me is the "someplace else" comment.

He might get what he is implying in the offseason if he isnt careful.

"Hopefully, one day you'll be appreciated, whether that's with the current team you're at or someplace else."
    THAT's the part that doesn't sit well with me. I get he's frustrated (although being frustrated on a 12-3 team makes me wonder just a little what Mason is really after). As if the team doesn't appreciate him. As if they don't think his possession catches that make 1st downs aren't important.

McNair was his QB for 12 years (11 in Tenn, 1 here). If he feels like someone isn't appreciating him, he needs to talk to Steve.

I have no problem with anyone voicing about where they want to play next, to do that they have to play well in there current enviroment. If he acts like a dick on the field then we have a problem. Until then this doesnt really bother me. Marvin harrison does this from time to time...granted he doesnt say he wants out but he still voices his displeasure

All I'm saying is, on the one hand you have almost two full seasons of saying and doing all the right things, and on the other hand, you have this one stray quote that in isolation is kind of ugly.

I'll give him credit for two seasons of class, character and skill before I start complaining about one bad quote.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

I'll give him credit for two seasons of class, character and skill before I start complaining about one bad quote.
    This is 100% on the mark. The man has shown nothing but class since he got here. Earlier this season he was not afraid to give the offense bad grades (mostly before Fassel got the boot), and folks generally admired his honesty for it.
    Now he makes one small negative comment about his involvement in the offense and some of you are practically calling for his head?
    People in this town freak out at any little comment.
    I could not possibly agree more!

Clayton has said that DMase has helped him a lot, first to get through his rookie year, then to make the adjustments that would help him be more in synch with McNair. A selfish player doesn't do that, a team player does.

Some folks around here need to seriously cut Mr. Mason some slack.
    "Well, I'd rather live with the hound dogs, for the rest of my natural-born life." Swamp Music by Lynyrd Skynyrd

If Mason reacted to situations half as badly as some of the posters on Internet football boards, THEN I'd be worried...:grbac:

As it stands, his comments don't concern me one bit. Look at how open Jamal has been with the media in the past and yet on Sundays when he's grinding our opponents into dust in the 3rd and 4th quarters I don't seem to hear anyone complaining about him...

Now he makes one small negative comment about his involvement in the offense and some of you are practically calling for his head?
    Well just a minute. This isn't the first "small negative comment" he's made either. He did some of this last year too.

And I've never heard Marvin Harrison complain. The guy has had double digit touchdowns and over 1000 yards and over 80 completions a year for the last 8 years. Not once have I seen a single quote from Harrison about not getting the ball or not being appreciated.

And I've never heard Marvin Harrison complain.
    I know I've seen little snippits of Marvin not being happy about not getting looks. I did a quick search and found this . There has been some pouting from him.

4. The Indianapolis defense certainly deserves the criticism leveled at the unit. But three second-half points against the Titans is inexcusable.

Is Marvin Harrison a problem in Indy?

A week after pouting through a one-catch, 8-yard performance in a victory over Philadelphia, Harrison was the focus of Indy’s offense against the Titans. He caught seven balls for a 172 yards and a TD.

Good for Marvin. However, Indy’s offense works best when Peyton Manning is spreading the ball and not worried about spoon-feeding Marvin enough balls so that Marvin is happy enough to avoid letting a DB strip away a perfectly thrown Manning bullet.

My local rap boy Tech N9ne made a song about Marvin Harrison. The song, “Mitch Bade,” came out in the mid-1990s. It’s still relevant.
    http://sports.aol.com/whitlock/nfl/_...07111409990001

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    And I've never heard Marvin Harrison complain. .
    There was most definitely rumblings out of Indy about Marvin being unhappy with his role this season.

Here's a blurb from the 11/26 edition of the IndyStar.

The writer is answering a question about Marvin not being happy with Manning and his role.

"First, James. Yes, you noticed as I did that Marvin was an unhappy camper during this game. I mention it in my wrapup blog. Harrison is always surly when he doesn't get enough catches. And because the great one is so moody, it's hard to get a read on what is enough. The Colts played well on offense. Addai ran wild. Reggie Wayne couldn't be stopped when they needed him. So Marvin only got two balls thrown to him. It won't happen often, this much I'm sure, but you were astute in this observation, no question. Neither Marvin nor Peyton will ever address that situation. Marvin probably won't say anything and Peyton is too smart to rip Marvin. But watch next week. Harrison will have a monster game at Tennessee next week and all will be forgotten. That's the way it's gone down in the past when Marvin has sulked about being "under-appreciated."

So I guess Marvin has sulked about his role more than once in Indy. Now, his personality is different than Mason's in that he won't comment on it.

I can understand people not liking to hear Mason vent a bit but that's what you get.

People seemed to like Mason when he would speak his mind about things last season. Now he's speaking his and it's rubbing the wrong way.

Again, NFL players, especially WRs have egos that sometimes rub us the wrong way. Would it have been better not said? Sure.

However, the overreaction to Mason's comments is what gets me the most. People acting like they can't believe a guy would say this and that it's so out of the ordinary. AND that it's a big deal. Please people. It's not.

PP

12. Re: I'm starting to lose respect for Mason

Mason is a terrific pro, I'm glad we have had him but he wears his heart on his sleeve. He is not the ideal team player because he speaks or acts his mind too often in the public forum. I was put off last year when Mason threw a temper tantrum on the playing field because Billick wouldn't challenge a no catch call. Other players might be just as upset by something but they keep it over on the sidelines, or in the locker room and don't act out publicly, or whine to the press. Apparently, numerous players went to Billick about Fassell but Mason was most vocal about the offenses problems to the press and the public. Sure you want players that are fiery and competitive, but you don't want a player that whines to the press several times a year. I don't think it is just this incedent that many people are reacting to. Although this incident in particular is more me-oriented then past incidents.

I would be very suprised if Mason is here next year. Mason is an aging vet on the downside of his career. Clayton is being groomed to be the number one and D. Williams will be the future number two. Mason is a competitor and he sees the writing on the wall. Clayton and Williams have a huge upside. They are the future and they are being given chances as the primary that were formally given to Mason. Everytime Mason opens his mouth he probably makes it more likely he will be elsewhere sooner rather than later.

That being said, he could be very big in the remaining games and I'm sure he will continue to give 100% regardless of any of his comments.