Thread: Is it True?

1. Is it True?

That the Ravens new "Special Teams" coach has changed Matt Stover's timing when kicking field goals because of the fear of getting his kicks blocked? If this is a fact, then they need to allow him to go back to his old way of kicking!
    Last edited by Tspot-D-Ravenator; 10-06-2008 at 03:14 PM.

Re: Is it True?

I found the article.

Under new special teams coach Jerry Rosburg, the Ravens have sped up the snap-and-hold exchange on field-goal tries by a fraction of a second.

When Stover missed from 47 yards in the season opener, he was too quick on making the kick. When he hit the right upright from 48 yards Sunday, he tried to overcompensate and was too slow.
    Link: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/f...0,112956.story

How 'bout we just use whatever "exchange timing" Stover feels comfortable with? I think he was doing fine before Rosburg got here.

3. Re: Is it True?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswarrior19 View Post

How 'bout we just use whatever "exchange timing" Stover feels comfortable with? I think he was doing fine before Rosburg got here.
    Thanks for the link

I heard this on NST and couldn't believe it. When was the last time he had a blocked kick?
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

I heard part of Harbaugh's press conference this afternoon, and according to him, the reason for speeding Stover's delivery was to give him more time to look at the ball before he kicked it. He never mentioned blocked kicks.

Either way, it doesn't sound like a particularly good idea. I dislike the expression "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," but in this case it seems to apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswarrior19 View Post
    I found the article.

Link: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/f...0,112956.story

Agreed, how about our special team coordiantor spends his time getting the guys to stay in their lanes and not letting the returner get around the end. Leave Stover alone. He has earned that right.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    I heard part of Harbaugh's press conference this afternoon, and according to him, the reason for speeding Stover's delivery was to give him more time to look at the ball before he kicked it. He never mentioned blocked kicks.

Either way, it doesn't sound like a particularly good idea. I dislike the expression "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," but in this case it seems to apply.

Same thing I've been saying. We started with one of the most accurate and reliable kickers in NFL history and the ST coordinator messes with his TIMING???? :grbac:

Apparently, speeding up the process was supposed to prevent blocked FGs. Well have we had a problem with blocked FGs??

This just makes me mad.

The 1 part of our team that was never broke, & the new regime comes in & breaks it. This would not have been an area I would have addressed as I stepped into the orginization. How about trying to teach the ST players to stay in their lanes? Do we miss Gary Stills this much? Is he sitting @ home right now?

My youngest son Kyle w/ Michael Phelps after the Browms game 12/24/11

Season Ticket Holder Since 96,
    Loud, Proud & Purple in Section 504. GO RAVENS, all the way to Indy for the Lombardi!!!