Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Heroes and Goats...Week 5

That's the beauty of Suggs...He also drops back into pass coverage, and is getting pretty good at that, too...At this point in the season, he's right on track for a Pro Bowl invite. A homegrown playmaking sack artist who stuffs the run and is capable of dropping into coverage is a player I want on my team.

Quote Originally Posted by RAVENOUS52 View Post
    Stop using logic, Jeremiah... I give up on this HoustonRaven cat...

He seems to think insulting folks gives his point of view more validity.

Best to puttem on ignore.
    What did I say that was insulting? :insane:

I went back and looked, and I can't find where Suggs was putting pressure on Collins at any point except for the blown ref call. Other than that he was nowhere near the ball all game. And for that matter not much near Collins for a good chunk of that game.

BTW, he only had 2 tackles the entire game too, less than Douglass, Reed, and Scott.

I'm not sure where this is coming from.

Look at the game tapes, not the CBS broadcast... Or better yet, NFL Live probably has a breakdown of the action. Admittedly, we rushed 4 most of the time, but I distinctively remember Suggs' pursuit causing Collins to jump forward in the pocket and release an errant pass, which C-Mac picked off. His tackle for a 5-yard loss was a big momentum shifter and... okay, I'm done with the play-by-play.

Read the disclaimer at the top of this thread...:celery

According to the box score he had 3 ... not that one tackle really means a whole lot more. Just finished watching the TiVo of the game myself and I too didnt see any sort of double team, Suggs putting pressure on Collins, etc.

I know where this is coming from. They have a man crush on Suggs. I am guilty of it too -- I have strong opinions of number 52.

We all seem to agree Suggs is an elite LB in this league.

What seems to be the sticking point is that if you point out a sub-par performance, you have committed the message board equivalent of calling their mothers a whore.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    According to the box score he had 3 ... not that one tackle really means a whole lot more. Just finished watching the TiVo of the game myself and I too didnt see any sort of double team, Suggs putting pressure on Collins, etc.

I know where this is coming from. They have a man crush on Suggs. I am guilty of it too -- I have strong opinions of number 52.

We all seem to agree Suggs is an elite LB in this league.

What seems to be the sticking point is that if you point out a sub-par performance, you have committed the message board equivalent of calling their mothers a whore.
    That is not even close. It is about perspective. Did our defense play a great game, in my view yes, and Suggs was a big part of it.

When you break down one drive in the game that was added 15 yards on 3rd down with a bogus penalty, yuo can find mistakes. What did they do the rest of the day though? That matters too or we never would have been in positon to win with one more stop.

You are not the only ones upset at the outcome, but when you start nitpicking the top rated defense in the NFL, I think you need to take a step back and look at the big picture.

This reminds me of all the Samari Rolle bashing that was going on in 2006. You would think he was the worst DB in the NFL the way the fans complained about him, but as soon as he got hurt, we could not cover anyone.

If we do not have Suggs out there, perhaps we can not stop the run or get pressure on QBs. The Ravens are forcing every Qb they play into a very bad day, but Ben and the Titans made the one drive at the end of the game.

Did anyone else see Suggs getting held while he "roughed Collins" or the takedown of Ray Lewis by Maway on the pass to Bo. He just grabbed him and tackled him on the blitz. The Ravens have to get some of those calls in order to get the stop, or they need to get some more points, so one drive does not beat them.

Blog Entries

I've given up complaining about holding. All you ever hear in response is "It evens itself out" and "If they called every hold the game would go on forever" and whilst I've applied perfectly logical arguments which counter those fallacies, people just don't want to hear it. It seems like, unless the D is making a big hit, people just don't want to watch a good defensive game, it's all about high-scoring shootouts because people have the attention span of gnats and want pretty passes to keep them amused. So you get columnists like Michael Silver saying that the Ravens play boring football because we run and play defense.

I mean, half the time I wonder if the NFL didn't send a memo to officials telling them not to bother calling holding unless it's really flagrant, because it's getting ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
    I've given up complaining about holding. All you ever hear in response is "It evens itself out" and "If they called every hold the game would go on forever" and whilst I've applied perfectly logical arguments which counter those fallacies, people just don't want to hear it. It seems like, unless the D is making a big hit, people just don't want to watch a good defensive game, it's all about high-scoring shootouts because people have the attention span of gnats and want pretty passes to keep them amused. So you get columnists like Michael Silver saying that the Ravens play boring football because we run and play defense.

I mean, half the time I wonder if the NFL didn't send a memo to officials telling them not to bother calling holding unless it's really flagrant, because it's getting ridiculous.
    Word.:word

This defense is the only reason we ain't 0-4. Please Believe that.

That is why I have argued to just allow the holding that is called inconsitantly now, but eliminate all cut blocks in excahnge.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    That is why I have argued to just allow the holding that is called inconsitantly now, but eliminate all cut blocks in excahnge.
    It's frustrating, but I think your solution may be just a tad extreme...

Maybe the should just receive better training and practice calling games instead of it being essentially a part-time job.

Quote Originally Posted by RAVENOUS52 View Post
    *The opinions expressed in my weekly thread are mine alone, but are probably endorsed by the majority of level-headed, even-keeled Ravens fans...

HEROES:

1) Le'Ron McClain- A premium blend of shifty elusiveness and smashmouth ground & pound, he is quickly becoming my favorite Ravens back. Another week, another touchdown...

2) Ray Lewis- You are timeless and playing some of the best football I have ever seen you play...A healthy #52 is more than worth his weight in gold, even in these harsh economic times...

3) Todd Heap- Welcome back, HEEEEEAAAAPP! Hopefully yesterday's performance is a harbinger of you returning to Pro Bowl form on a more consistent basis.

4) Derrick Mason- A first down machine who I've come to admire for his sheer will to get to the ball and gain yardage afterwards. Are you sure you're 34-years-old?

5) Terrell Suggs- Nevermind the senseless roughing call of an effeminate referee, you simply harass the QB non-stop all game and cause him to make mistakes...Now if only said effiminate referee would learn to recognize and call "holding" on the O-linemen, you'd truly be unstoppable.

GOATS:

1) NFL Officiating- Dude, I don't know who you are or where you live, but when every sports highlight program unanimously agrees that your roughing call was a load of fertilizer, you may want to consider a) Stronger glasses or b) Another vocation. Overall, I'd rate the officiating of yesterdays game a D-minus :grbac:

2) Matt Stover- Brother, I love you to death and for a long time you have been the primary source of offense for this team, but I'm getting pretty worried that your accuracy isn't what it once was. Notice that we've lost the past two games by a FG each time and I think you understand where I'm coming from.

3) Yamon Figurs- Since returning from your injury, you've been an indecisive basketcase. With a limited offense, we NEED you to perform up to your potential! :hammer:

4) Coach Harbaugh- Another week, another overabundance of silly penalties and personal fouls. Don't even get me started on wasting timeouts in consecutive games because we can't get plays run on time...Up your game, coach...I know you have it in you...

5) Joe Flacco- Listen man, I understand better than anyone that you're a rookie, but the offense has been Dilfer-ized especially for you, so that you DON'T throw the game away with that strong arm of yours. Work on your decision making and stop randomly reverting to a Division I-AA QB, especially when coverage on our receivers is good. I'll tell you this: I'd much rather see Bazooka Joe or even The Average Joe out there than "Sloppy" Joe...:grbac:

Great post. I have to disagree about Figurs though. The special teams haven't done any decent blocking for him lately. I don't think anyone short of Devin Hester could do much better with what he's had to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenStockers View Post

Both teams are paid to play and adjust on the fly, the Titans did a good job of adjusting their passing plays and protection schemes to buy Collins time and move the pocket to avoid the pressure on the final drive, the credit goes to them rather than it being an indictment of our defence IMO.
    This is the first time I've heard anyone give credit to the Titans line and it is deserved. They did an excellent job of protecting Collins. Way better than any team we've faced this year.