'young qb' trend

the NFL is prone to fads like anyone else (one-back offense, 'shutdown corner'). The last few years have seen a spate of young qbs thrown into play early, the philosophy being the best/quickest (maybe only) way to learn is by doing. Put Jones in as a rookie, let him take his lumps, and by year 2 he'll have a handle on it. best success; Peyton Manning and Troy Aikman, who struggled early but got it going.
    I think the trend has run its course. Ravens fans saw Kyle Boller start early (and his peer Byron Leftwich); then we got Joey Harrington, Alex Smith, Matt Linehart, J.P. Losman, Tavaris Jackson. You'll notice that NONE of these guys is a starter as of now (plus Vince Young, who got injured, but probably won't see a start real soon), and several have 'relocated' (and/or dumped by their original teams). Their replacements vary from recycled stars (Kurt Warner) to journeymen (Gus Ferrotte) to J.T. Sullivan (?).
    IMHO JFlacc has exceeded expectations. the real poster child for Young QBs is down in DC, as Jason Campbell seems to have Gotten It.
    Do we still say it takes 3-4 years for an NFL qb to develop? That was part of the thinking behind NFL Europa (Warner played a year there).

ps; Matt Ryan is 3-2 in Atlanta and just beat the Pack at Lambeau. Perhaps throwing them in early works--but only in certain situations.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Re: 'young qb' trend

Quote Originally Posted by sailorsam View Post
    the NFL is prone to fads like anyone else (one-back offense, 'shutdown corner'). The last few years have seen a spate of young qbs thrown into play early, the philosophy being the best/quickest (maybe only) way to learn is by doing. Put Jones in as a rookie, let him take his lumps, and by year 2 he'll have a handle on it. best success; Peyton Manning and Troy Aikman, who struggled early but got it going.
    I think the trend has run its course. Ravens fans saw Kyle Boller start early (and his peer Byron Leftwich); then we got Joey Harrington, Alex Smith, Matt Linehart, J.P. Losman, Tavaris Jackson. You'll notice that NONE of these guys is a starter as of now (plus Vince Young, who got injured, but probably won't see a start real soon), and several have 'relocated' (and/or dumped by their original teams). Their replacements vary from recycled stars (Kurt Warner) to journeymen (Gus Ferrotte) to J.T. Sullivan (?).
    IMHO JFlacc has exceeded expectations. the real poster child for Young QBs is down in DC, as Jason Campbell seems to have Gotten It.
    Do we still say it takes 3-4 years for an NFL qb to develop? That was part of the thinking behind NFL Europa (Warner played a year there).

ps; Matt Ryan is 3-2 in Atlanta and just beat the Pack at Lambeau. Perhaps throwing them in early works--but only in certain situations.
    As a general principle, I don't think throwing them into the fire works, but we had no choice in Flack's case... I also don't think he's exceeding expectations yet but, who knows, maybe my opinion will be different by the halfway mark of the season.

It's a tough call. Every once in awhile that special talent comes along and breaks the mold. Will Flacco be one of those? It's still too early to ascertain.

But, thus far he's done better then anyone thought he would. That's promising, if not definitive. Time will tell, as it always does. And, we'll know before the end of the season I believe.

Don't forget about Jay Cutler too. I think if they got it, they will get it, and if they don't they won't...

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Don't forget about Jay Cutler too. I think if they got it, they will get it, and if they don't they won't...

Cutler is the exception to the rule.

It depends on the QB.

If he's the type who won't lose confidence over losses or mistakes and has good fundamentals than, by all means, put him in the game. Unless there is a better QB available, of course.

Playing one real game is about equal to 25 practices in terms of learning.