Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Let's go Flacco.

Joe will be a good QB the game is very fast for him right now. There is a big difference between the Pros and College ball. He has to relax and throw the ball away when the pass play is not there. The two interceptions he threw were passes that should not have been thrown. Remember many of us thought 5-11 record this year. So stay on his side. The foul called on Suggs was horrible. However we still should have stopped them and we didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayvens52 View Post
    Yes it is all about him being a rookie...are you serious. This is about him learning what to do with the ball. You see vet's make the same mistake in games.
    Are YOU serious? Im going to go out on a limb and say that while at Delaware, he learned that when you dont have an open man after you roll out you throw the ball away. Heck, I bet he even learned that in High School ball as well. Not knowing to throw the ball away is a mental mistake, not a rookie one.

That said, I am not on the bench him bandwagon. I hope that it was just one of those bonehead things QB's do at times.

He'll be fine, people need to chill out and stop trying to make him Big Ben or 04 cause it won't happen. I love the fact that his demeanor never changes each week, he know he can improve and he will
    Waiting for the next one!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Are YOU serious? Im going to go out on a limb and say that while at Delaware, he learned that when you dont have an open man after you roll out you throw the ball away. Heck, I bet he even learned that in High School ball as well. Not knowing to throw the ball away is a mental mistake, not a rookie one.

That said, I am not on the bench him bandwagon. I hope that it was just one of those bonehead things QB's do at times.
    I agree he learned that a long time ago, what I am saying is that as a Rookie he is going to try and force things and do things to move the O that a vet would not do and that means not throw the ball away when he should. It is a rookie mistake. He is going to learn these defenders are faster then the ones in college and will stop trying to make to much happen.
    Hating Steeler Fans Since Birth

Section 126, Row 33

Lets Go Flacco :happyanim

Quote Originally Posted by Sports Steve View Post
    Joe will be a good QB the game is very fast for him right now. There is a big difference between the Pros and College ball. He has to relax and throw the ball away when the pass play is not there. The two interceptions he threw were passes that should not have been thrown. Remember many of us thought 5-11 record this year. So stay on his side. The foul called on Suggs was horrible. However we still should have stopped them and we didn't.
    I agree with Sports Steve about Flacco. We need to be patient and he needs to stop trying to do too much when rolling out of the pocket. Hey - at least the man rolls out of the pocket and doesn't look like he's auditioning for The River Dance like Boller!

I am not saying bench him now, but I am not at all in the Billick camp about protecting an ego over the team. This team can win now with competent Qb play. They do not need the Qb to make a lot of plays, they just need to limit the mistakes and take some shots downfeild, hitting one out of 3 or so.

This season reminds me a lot of the 2000 season. The defense and runnig game are good enough. The O line is good enough. The Wrs and TEs are good enough. The Qb just has to no suck too bad. Dilfer missed a lot of wide open Wrs down the feild, but at least he did not throw many picks or fumble when he got sacked.

The first pick that Joe threw that was bobbled out of bounds was not good, but we can call that a rookie mistake. I saw the coach talking to him after that on the sidleline, and yet he still came out and did the exact same thing 2 more times. I don't know how I am supposed to say that was a rookie mistake. It was a very, very dumb choice, that he should have had enough short term memory to avoid a 3rd time in the same situation.

The biggest problem I had with Billick back in the day was not being willing to take the Qb out for a series or two and coach him up while the backup got a shot to spark a stagnant offense. It is not like baseball where you can not put the guy back in the game, but I want some sort change if the guy is not responding to the coaching. This is not the place for on the job training. The Ravens are in contention, and have been down this road before with a rookie QB learning on the job. I like Troy Smith, but wanted some sort of vet Qb in the mix since training camp, who was not named Todd or Kyle. NOt that there is anything wrong with that, but we needed and still need a Qb like a Kerry Collins, Kurt Warner or Jeff Garcia, or Daunte Cullpeper who we could turn to instead of a rookie if he was not ready.

At this point I have seen enough good stuff from Flacco to think he will be a great Qb, but right now I do not think we need a great Qb to win, and if he is unwilling or unable to play winning football, we need to turn to the backup before the playoffs are out of reach. Then let the rookie get every snap.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    Throw the ball away. Just throw the freaking ball away.

The first time was unnacceptable, but we can chalk it up to a rookie mistake or what ever, but the second one should have gotten you benched. There was no pressure, no need to make a play that was not there, and how about launching the ball as far down the feild as you can in those situations, instead of possible pick 6 late to the sidleine or accross the body in the middle.

Take away those 2 throws, and he played almost pefect football, but those 2 or 3 plays a game have gotten us beat two weeks in a row.

I see a QB controversy. Troy Smith get your game together, because you may be going back in.
    No controversy. You stick with the franchise.

I say give me the best Qb to win the next game. The Franchise QB needs to play like it. I am not in favor of throwing away a promising season just to develop a rookie QB. If he is the best option, he plays, but if Troy or Todd are going to make less mistakes and win more games, Joe can continue to learn in practice. If and when we are out of contention, then you hand him the job and see what he can do, until then the competion should be on in practice to see who gives us the best chance this week. That should be Flacco, but the Billick era of appointed or annointed starting QBs, needs to be over.

This all points back to letting your rookie carry the clipboard and absorb the game before throwing him into the fire. Now we all know that Joe had no choice in the matter, so I'm more than willing to forgive, but not forget the boneheaded INTs he threw Sunday, but he absolutely can NOT continue to make these mistakes, especially since we've seemed to have underestimated our team's potential to compete for a playoffs spot.

I don't think Harbaugh is willing to sacrifice a possible shot at the playoffs for Flacco's ego, but I also feel that the kid will right the ship and the option of sitting him down temporarily won't come up.

Rookie or not though, his decision making MUST improve IMMEDIATELY.

if Troy or Todd are going to make less mistakes and win more games
    & exactly what makes you think that?

Quote Originally Posted by SHORTTRACK View Post
    & exactly what makes you think that?
    3 of the dumbest looking picks I have seen in one game since Vinny Testaverde looked like he was intentionally throwing the games in the 4th quarter for the mob.

Boller would only have tossed 1 or 2 of them. the 3rd is just unacceptable on any level of football past pop warner.

I say give me the best Qb to win the next game. The Franchise QB needs to play like it. I am not in favor of throwing away a promising season just to develop a rookie QB. If he is the best option, he plays, but if Troy or Todd are going to make less mistakes and win more games, Joe can continue to learn in practice. If and when we are out of contention, then you hand him the job and see what he can do, until then the competion should be on in practice to see who gives us the best chance this week. That should be Flacco, but the Billick era of appointed or annointed starting QBs, needs to be over.
    And we don't have a better option today. Its not Troy or Todd. Flacco alone didn't cause us to lose either game. What about Flacco's drive at the end of the Steeler game? If the defense makes a stop against Tenn, we win and we aren't having this discussion. Expect ups and downs with a rookie QB. This isn't a Super bowl bound team. We are building a team here w/a young online, QB and backfield.