Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

The Suggs penalty

So there was a false start on the Titans and a personal foul on us. I swear that last week there was a very similar situation...something like illegal motion or substitution or something like that, with a personal foul on the play by the defense (don't know that it was our game). In that game, the ref called the penalties off-setting.

I remember this really specifically because I was surprised that they called it like that. Does anyone else remember this?

- C -

Re: The Suggs penalty

Maybe that only applies when it's a real penalty, not some figment of the referee's imagination.

This was a killer ghost call for malice in the heart. He did not even appear to hit the helmet. Game over if we do not get that call.

Surely a false start is pre-snap anyway and thus the play should've been whistled dead and "no play occurred". Seems off to me.

That was a very weird call. This doesn't seem right to me at all

Anyone know what the e-mail address is for the Official Review Segment on NFL Total Access on Wednesday's? It won't change anything but I'd at least be interested to know whether it was a blown call not to enforce the false start and negate the play.

Blog Entries

I'm sure Pereira will explain it away.

Well the NFL's rule segment on their website is useless. I've got the NCAA's rulebook on my laptop on a .pdf and that backs up my understanding that the pre-snap false start penalty should've whistled the play dead and made Suggs' penalty irrelevant. Now if only I could find a .pdf of the NFL's rulebook and see if there's any difference there, can't imagine that there should be but always good to be sure.

Seems to me that the ref ignored and enforced the wrong penalties.

Blog Entries

QB's are like saints now, you can't touch them!!!....and as others have said, a false start would be a dead play so how can Suggs hit a QB?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenStockers View Post
    Well the NFL's rule segment on their website is useless. I've got the NCAA's rulebook on my laptop on a .pdf and that backs up my understanding that the pre-snap false start penalty should've whistled the play dead and made Suggs' penalty irrelevant. Now if only I could find a .pdf of the NFL's rulebook and see if there's any difference there, can't imagine that there should be but always good to be sure.

Seems to me that the ref ignored and enforced the wrong penalties.
    It is a crappy page at nfl.com! Why wouldn't they have a .pdf of the rules?

Champagne's on ice in the refs' locker room.

BS

Quote Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
    It is a crappy page at nfl.com! Why wouldn't they have a .pdf of the rules?
    Yep, that's what I found, went there first and realised it was useless so went to my NCAA pdf. Can't imagine there would be a difference, but we all know that the rules protecting the QB are very different between the NCAA and the NFL so it's not beyond the realms of the possible that a roughing the passer penalty overrides a false start.

Though continuing this officiating bitch (yes I'm bored, and hungry, why didn't I eat during the game? Why am I rambling?) Haynesworth should've been called for a personal foul when he threw Flacco to ground on his encroachment.