Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: We need to finish and replace Stover

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    You can also blame out utterly crappy kick coverage and return teams. Worst I've seen in YEARS. Pretty ironic.
    Very true! Very True!

Those who say that Stover "cost us the game" are nuts.

He has the range. His timing is off. Excuse the fu*k out of me, but the dude has been our offense for 10 years. Cut him some slack.

If you want someone to blame, you can blame:

1. Harbaugh for being a complete pussy and not taking even one shot to score a TD from the 28 yard line with 14 seconds left in the half. I was beside myself for that lameass move and I'm still not over it.

2. Flacco for serving up 2 (should have been 3) room-service INTs.

3. The defense for not putting ANY pressure on Collins during that last drive.

Everything you said is true. But you cannot, CANNOT keep Stover off that list. If he made his field goal, at the least we're tied and headed into overtime again.

3. Re: We need to finish and replace Stover

A friend of mine told me that the new Special teams coach is making Stover kick faster so there is less chance for a blocked field goal:grbac: ...I think he's screwing with the wrong person

It was a 45 yard attempt. That is not easy. We've been spoiled by Stover and sometimes forget what he does is so exacting. Yes, he missed one (1) field goal today. He is not the problem. But feel free to lay blame in the wrong places.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

5. Re: We need to finish and replace Stover

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswarrior19 View Post
    Someone explain this to me. They bring in a new special teams coach, Jerry Rosburg. He decides it is best to speed up the exchange from long snapper, to holder, to kick.

They work all training camp speeding up the process, and have admitted (after week 1) that Stover is having a hard time with the adjustment. They say his timing is off - he's too fast one kick -- too slow the next -- etc.

Why mess with Stover's timing at all? Isn't he borderline HOF anyway? If there was anyone on our team not in need of adjustment, it was Matt Stover in my mind.
    That's exactly what I heard too:grbac:

Stover is having a hard time adjusting because he is 40 years old. Now, while I totally agree with all of the posters who say why mess with Stover; it is like getting a new boss after 20 years of doing everything the old way and suddenly you are forced to do things a new way. Some people can adjust and others can't. The team is at an impasse and they have to decide to go back to Stover's old way or cut bait with him. However, our offensive model has always depended on a reliable field goal kicker. While Joe Flacco is still learning--we really need a good dependable kicker.

Blog Entries

Hey Camden, you can't discount the fact that Harbs chose to go for the FG because he assumed Matt would make it.....remember, we had no timeouts and if Flacco completes, but we didn't get a TD, we wouldn't have time to kick. It sucks, but it was the best option at that point.

It wasn't the single reason we lost, but we left points on the field!!

This team is driving me nuts with their lack of discipline!!

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard
    It was a 45 yard attempt. That is not easy. We've been spoiled by Stover and sometimes forget what he does is so exacting. Yes, he missed one (1) field goal today. He is not the problem. But feel free to lay blame in the wrong places.
    camdenyard, you can cut Stover all the slack you want, but the point is that he has missed three field goals in four games, and they weren't moon shots, they were very makeable. Even the CBS commentators mentioned, with a measure of amazement, that Stover is only 4-for-7 this year on field goals.

I'm not saying he lost this game, as there was plently of blame to go around, and I agree that we have been spoiled by his excellence over all these years. But we have already been in a couple of low scoring knockdown games, and field goals are important, and he's missed some that used to be routine for him. I don't think Ravens fans are out of line by pointing out that so far, he has not had a good year.

Hey Camden, you can't discount the fact that Harbs chose to go for the FG because he assumed Matt would make it.....remember, we had no timeouts and if Flacco completes, but we didn't get a TD, we wouldn't have time to kick. It sucks, but it was the best option at that point.
    Now you got me started.

I know nothing about what was running through Harbaugh's head. Unless he said so in his presser, neither do you.

But here's what I do know. When you have 1st down and 10 with 14 seconds left, and are at the 28, and have a strong-armed QB and a line that has been giving him protection all game, you take a fucking shot at the endzone. Maybe two. Or at least a quick out to get you closer.

A 45-yard FG is not a chip shot! It never has been.

We have a hard enough time scoring points. When you are presented with an opportunity, you take the shot. Unless you simply don't trust your QB, and if that is the case what culture are you trying to set? What message are you sending to your defense? I think it was a chickenshit move.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Blog Entries

Now you got me started.

I know nothing about what was running through Harbaugh's head. Unless he said so in his presser, neither do you.

But here's what I do know. When you have 1st down and 10 with 14 seconds left, and are at the 28, and have a strong-armed QB and a line that has been giving him protection all game, you take a fucking shot at the endzone. Maybe two. Or at least a quick out to get you closer.

A 45-yard FG is not a chip shot! It never has been.

We have a hard enough time scoring points. When you are presented with an opportunity, you take the shot. Unless you simply don't trust your QB, and if that is the case what culture are you trying to set? What message are you sending to your defense? I think it was a chickenshit move.
    We can all guess what Harbs was thinking, but I feel like he was playing the averages. We've got a rookie QB whose been erratic all game, no timeouts,14 seconds before the half. If Flacco throws an INT in the endzone (which was a distinct possibility today), then what? Everyone would be bitching and wondering why we didn't take the FG attempt!?! Stover has been old reliable and I assume Harbs wanted 3 before the half.

I guess we'll just disagree. If we had a timeout, I'd be with you 100% though!!

Agreed!! Stover you have been great in the past and thanks for winning us games since you been here. Stover flat out does not have it anymore. We need to look for a field goal kicker come next season. I'm not saying Stover cost us the game, he's not accurate anymore like he has been for us.

I wouldn't have thought so till he missed the 45 yarder today. It's not like those things are automatic, but I feel like we can't count on him unless it's inside 40, and that's really dangerous. Time to find a replacement.
    I'm feeling the same way about Stover, unless it's inside the 40 then I feel confident that Stover will make it, anything beyond that? Who knows??
    We need to find somebody with a stronger and more accurate leg. JMO.
    Former Season ticket holder from 1996 to 2016

How about this play call?

1st and 10, 0:14 to go, 28 yd. line.

Spread Formation, QB draw up the middle. Pick up 5+/-2 yards. Everyone line right back up. Spike. Kick FG.

Just another idea. I don't like what we did, but I do see it as a difficult situation. The bigger problem was clock management up to that point. We let 25 seconds tick off before Gaither's false start.

And I still want to know, WHY TAMPER WITH STOVER'S TIMING!?!?