Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: We need to finish and replace Stover

I feel like I am the only one on this board who supports Matt Stover. Maybe it's because for 13 years he has been "Mr. Automatic". Maybe it's because I have done some kicking myself on a school and club level and know just how hard it is to nail 40+ yard kicks through an 18-foot space - consistently, in different field and wind conditions. It isn't easy.

So here's one of the very best, sitting at 4-7 early in the season and you are ready to cut him. Swell.

Matt will more than make you forget these two kicks by the end of the season, and the cut Matt talk will stop.

BTW, I believe all of his kickoffs yesterday were to or beyond the goal line. That is standard for NFL kickers.

Don't be a hater!

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    BTW, I believe all of his kickoffs yesterday were to or beyond the goal line. That is standard for NFL kickers.

Don't be a hater!
    no they werent buddy and when i say kick into the endzone im talking about a TOUCHBACK.and seriously dude,im not sure your getting the point we are trying to make.im so proud of you that you kicked some field goals when you were 16.sit back feel like a man and smoke another cigar.im sure your wall is lit up with trophies because of all the championships you won making game winning kicks from 47 yards out.

but the point is stover is getting OLDER!!!!his skills and leg strengh are begining to decrease.if we are a rebuilding team then it doesnt hurt to bring in a young guy with a powerful leg to get some experience in game situations and hey maybe you never know,we might find another top kicker.....

if you dont mind me asking since you have some experience would you wanna go try out.shit whats the worst they will say?

Are you always such a dick, or only about things you really have no clue over?

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    We at least need a KOS. They just can no give up that much hidden yardage in every game.
    I dont think KOS was even thought of until Stover lost his ability to kick
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

I don't think the problem is with Stover's leg strength -- ironically enough, his kickoffs actually seem to be landing deeper than the past two seasons. The problem is that through four games, he is missing field goals that he usually makes. I don't expect him to be perfect through a whole season, but three misses in four games is very un-Stover like.

And I'm not for cutting Stover, and maybe someone in this thread has, but I don't recall seeing that. I'm just pointing out that it's unusual for him to miss FGs of this length, and that it could be a problem all season. Maybe it's true that the problem is that they sped up his timing, which seems totally unnecessary, since it's not as if he's been struggling the past two or so years.

I sure hope this doesn't turn into a case of over-coaching someone who didn't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    Are you always such a dick, or only about things you really have no clue over?
    how am i a "dick"?i am making a point of my opinion.the thread is partially about replacing stover.if your gonna tell me i dont know what i am talking about then prove your point.do you not have one???

as for me making comments about you kicking whenever or where ever it is you use to kick,take a joke...have a sense of humor.you put on here about how you use to kick but the thread is about replacing stover.you said people might not understand how hard it is to kick.who cares!!!!stover is 40....im sure you know that its time to find youth at that position.

I'm disenchanted with Stover's performance thusfar, but hopeful he'll quickly return to form. After all his years of faithful service to our franchise, he's earned a certain degree of slack from me.

I do understand, however, if others don't choose to be lenient, given the fact that our last two losses have come by 3 points in games where Matt has missed FGs...:(

Quote Originally Posted by phatboy View Post
    We are really struggling to finish the last two teams and Stover is beginning to cost us games. There are too many capable kickers out there. It is the end of a great kickers career.
    Matt Stover ha been the one bright light in the Ravens offense for 10 years. Can we give him a break at see if he comes back strong like he has in the past. He did not lose the Titans game.

Pretty freakin' sad that we still have to be discussing kicking field goals to win games rather then touchdowns.

We got to be one of a very few teams that still don't score touchdowns in games, and put enormous pressure on an ageing defense and place kicker to bail us out.

Pathetic!!

With that being said, if we're going to continue to operate this way, then yes, it might be time to start looking at younger options to relieve Stover since his range is not what it really needs to be for a team that seems to attempt to win alot of its games by field goals.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!