Al Davis strikes again

Al Davis fired his coach (Lane Kiffin) Tuesday. the one-time genius has fired future SB winners Mike Shanahan and John Gruden and has mismanaged this team into the dumpster, and since he is uniquely owner/gm he can't be fired.
    I wonder if the NFL has a protocol for this, someone so old or incapacitated he can no longer effectively operate a team. Will the Raiders fans bring a lawsuit suggesting the team is some sort of Public Trust and ask some court to remove him from control of the team?
    I'm amazed more folks like Rob Ryan don't jump ship on this bleeper.
    here's hoping he gets a moment of lucidity and hands the reins over to someone capable before he embarrases himself (and his team) further. It's sad for someone like me who grew up watching those awesome 60s-70s Raider teams.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Re: Al Davis strikes again

My half year at U of B law school tells me the fans are powerless in this situation. I could be wrong but since the team is a private business, Al Davis is the end all be all of decision making when it comes to the Raiders.

If this were the Packers then the fans, which have ownership, could step in.

The NFL owners could come together and do something similar to what the MLB owners did to Marge Shotte back in the day and remove his decision making powers.

I am just stoaked we will play a team in such disarray! :)

So true and so sad. You would hope that the owners could figure out something, as the guy seemed to have lost it quite a few years ago. The raiders are my son's 2nd favorite team, and while he's 25, he isn't old enough to remember the glory days. I was at Memorial Stadium for "ghost to the post" with my parents, and it must be heart wrenching for the great players of that era to have to endure what the franchise has become. I know it's "his money - his team", but something definitely needs to be done.

I'm not a Raider fan, so I don't care. Lots of teams are mismanaged...look at the Bidwill Cardinals, the Lions, the Clowns and the Bungles to name a few.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Al Davis is a very strange man. I'm just gald he's not our owner.

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    I'm not a Raider fan, so I don't care. Lots of teams are mismanaged...look at the Bidwill Cardinals, the Lions, the Clowns and the Bungles to name a few.
    some good examples. Cards have one playoff win since the Truman presidency; the Lions only non-expansion team without a Super Bowl appearance. (MNF graphic; Ravens & Stoolers is won 5/6 division titles). These guys seem to hire/fire every few years and start over. I can imagine them going to league meetings and the other owners telling them they're doing just fine and laughing themselves silly when they leave. Nobody knows how MMillin lasted so long in Detroit.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Quote Originally Posted by Sports Steve View Post
    Al Davis is a very strange man. I'm just gald he's not our owner.
    Amen to that brotha!

Seeing what Al Davis has turned into is reason 8,562 why I'm glad the Biskut took over when he did.
    Keeping the purple flowing way out on the West Coast!