Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mike friggin' Smith

Who ever would have thought this guy would be so effective? Once again he blasts in unblocked and crushes somebody in the backfield. Is he just getting lucky or is this guy just a stud?

On a side note, I hated the Ngata pick on draft day, and I'm hating it even miore now. :grbac:

Re: Mike friggin' Smith

Ngata will be fine.

It's good to know we have someone to step up at MLB, if Ray were to go down.

Mike Smith is a beast. He's playing like he's going to be the starting MLB this year! Are we looking at the future of our linebacker position with Scott, Smith, Cody?

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack
    On a side note, I hated the Ngata pick on draft day, and I'm hating it even miore now. :grbac:
    I actually was watching Ngata pretty close last night and he was pumeling his counter parts. He was in on several tackles and over all I thought he had decent explosiveness off the line. Maybe even too much explosiveness. It almost appeared as though he was over-compensating for the critisims he received this week and was forgetting about the rest of the play. Also, I think it's a little silly to expect that the guy is going to be making sacks after less than 3 quarters of football. He was effective last night and he will continue to grow.

As my own side note...does anyone else think that Smith is looking better than Ray in the middle?

Better than Ray? I'll wait on that one. Yes, I like the fact he's younger and busting through the line and crushing dudes in the backfield, but what would Ray do in the same situation? Also, while it is impressive Smith can time the QB's cadence, can he shed and tackle and can he cover like Ray? I hate to compare Smith to Nate Bolling but remember this is preseason.

As for Ngata, I don't expect sacks, I just expect him to go forward and control his man. It wasn't happening.

Better than Ray? I'll wait on that one. Yes, I like the fact he's younger and busting through the line and crushing dudes in the backfield, but what would Ray do in the same situation? Also, while it is impressive Smith can time the QB's cadence, can he shed and tackle and can he cover like Ray? I hate to compare Smith to Nate Bolling but remember this is preseason.
    Oh, I am not saying that Mike should get Ray's job, but he certainly has been a bigger factor in the D than Ray so far. As for Ray's coverage ability...well, lets just say that I will reserve judgement until the games count, but so far Ray has been getting beaten BADLY so far.

As for Ngata, I don't expect sacks, I just expect him to go forward and control his man. It wasn't happening.
    I am not sure who you were watching, but Ngata was detroying his guy most of the night. Our run D was solid and CT was getting pounded at the line. On the other hand Brad Johnson was lighting our secondary up and I am very concerned by our DB play the last few weeks.

Mike plays with Rays intensity without a doubt. And to think this guy almost didn't make the team last year.

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack
    Who ever would have thought this guy would be so effective? Once again he blasts in unblocked and crushes somebody in the backfield. Is he just getting lucky or is this guy just a stud?

Uh oh, watch out for the heresy commitee. You have cast aspersion on one of the gods.

Smith is a terror, no question about it, but it is premature to start comparing him to one of the top ten linebackers (in ability) of all time.

I'll agree though that he (Mike Smith) has had as much, or more, impact so far as any defensive player we have. Now...let's see if Mike has durability.

Ngata will look better and better as time goes by, watch and see.
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

Even though it was just preseason its nice to see Mike Smith has the right mindset to go all out and make a mark on this team for the future.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

Smith is a terror, no question about it, but it is premature to start comparing him to one of the top ten linebackers (in ability) of all time.
    I am sorry if I gave anyone the wrong impression. I am not suggesting that we bench Ray.

I am not surprised by Mike Smith's play this preseason at all. I remember seeing him last season playing in the preseason and he was all over the place as well.

It's looking like he will be our starting MLB later on down the road.

12. Re: Mike friggin' Smith

I almost forgot about the starting defense. How many great runs did Chester get on that team??? 10 rushes for 27 yds! I like those stats. If you can't run on us, thats a start.