Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: Mike friggin' Smith

you just have to forget the score. there were positives to take from that blowout.

Re: Mike friggin' Smith

This guy is one great player. I only wish we could find a place for him in the starting line up. What a player.

3. Re: Mike friggin' Smith

The defense bent but it didn't break against the Vikings! You all have to remember that this was just a preseason game and the Viking have a very HUGE O-line. They were in front of their home crowd and lost to the Raiders the week prior to playing us. ..We stuffed the run and forced them to pass. ...A little like Superbowl XXXV ....I am not putting this defense in the same category, but it has a strange and peculiar feeling

I really like this kid.

The Lewises are a great part of our present and our history, but the SMITHS are our future.

I would give him another year, but Mike Smith has the potential to be a very good starter in this league. We could draft a MLB and pair him with Smith and have Bart on the outside. We just have a great eye for LB talent.

What could we have in a Ryan Lacasse, who may not make the team, but will be on STs.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

I am not sure who you were watching, but Ngata was detroying his guy most of the night. Our run D was solid and CT was getting pounded at the line.
    I gotta agree with this. I don't know what plays gave you the idea that Haloti was very mediocre, but Ngata was definitely much improved over the Philly game last week. And I didn't see one play where he was moved out of a play. He was getting very solid penetration as well. On the play that Samari missed the tackle (and ripped the WR's helmet off), Ngata was double-teamed; and he bulldozed & battered his way through them, toward the QB. And as mob said, CT had nothing at all going for him up the middle, or basically anywhere for that matter.

Ngata definitely still has lots of room for improvement, but the jump from the Eagles game to the Minn game, was rather substantial IMO.

Sorta unrelated, but I've been real impressed with Trevor Pryce on the DLine. He's been a monster on passing downs, causing havoc & having his way with Olinemen. The numbers haven't reflected at all, how well he's played so far.

Ngata played very well on Friday. He rebounded from his debut performance.

I can remember that Ken Williams was not that effective at DT during his rookie season, and now he is very good.

Expectations for Ngata should be just to take on the double-team and keep Ray Lewis free. If he does that, he should the Ravens rookie of the year. In two to three years, Ngata will become that passrush DT that we need.

Bottomline, while Kemo is looking good in Carolina, it took him four years to get there while Ngata is already there.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

I set the bar pretty high on Ngata and since I have re-grouped. Mainly from TC. He was camped in the backfield on virtually every snap. The Redskins scrimmage, he did the same. But after getting hurt, abd then going up against a stoud oline in the iggles was a humbling back to earth journey for him. I still think we have a potential stud at DT and it also allows Gregg to play his natural nose positin where he is very disruptive.

BTW: I like what I see in Mike Smith and I wonder how he would do facing 1st string offense.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan86
    BTW: I like what I see in Mike Smith and I wonder how he would do facing 1st string offense.
    We saw him in the Giants game and he was excellent. Its comforting to know we might not have to burn a 1st rounder to get Ray's successor. We may already have a very good player on the roster who cap wise is practically free. And since he's so cheap he should be easy to extend down the road.
    Ngata will become that passrush DT that we need.
    If you expect Ngata to be a passrusher you are going to be disappointed with his career. His job is to take on 2 lineman and push them back far enough that the QB has to retreat from the pocket (and get sacked by on of our rushers). He had 3 sacks as a senior at Oregon and I suspect that is about as many as he will get per year in the NFL (think 3-6). I would be shocked if he gets more than 8 sacks in any year of his career.

Blog Entries

Mike Smith will make the roster this year and by next year, he will be good enough to rotate in whenever Ray is tired. Rack it.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quality depth at linebacker.

How can the Sun say that he is on the bubble? There is no way in hell he is on the bubble...