Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: My glass is half-full...

Quote Originally Posted by xmradiodave View Post
    That was our game to win. Stupid mistakes slightly tarnish a fantastic outing by Flacco. But, we lost the game. I still like what I saw. Take away that fumble for a score, and the JJ penalty, that game would have never seen OT, and we would have been 0-3.
    That highlighted part makes no sense. If Derek Anderson doesn't throw three picks against us and the Browns defense doesn't allow us to run the ball last week...well, you get the picture. I mostly agree with everything else you said though...

There's reason for much optimism after last night...I was about as calm as I've ever been following a Ravens loss last night... I believe we showed the entire league that the Baltimore Ravens are a force to be reckoned with.

I agree that there were clearly some positives, but since I'm still cranky and sleep-deprived over the loss, here's what bothered me --

> Based on this game, I don't agree that the team is more disciplined -- penalties really hurt us.

> Our pass protection in the second half began to resemble the pass protection we had last year, which is to say, not that great. Gaither completely whiffed on one sack -- the rusher literally just ran right past him.

> This is extremely nitpicky, but I couldn't help but notice that every time a camera shot showed Harbaugh on the sideline after the Steelers took the lead, he had a very obvious worried expression on his face. Not angry, not intense, just worried. Not exactly inspiring sideline demeanor.

> ESPN is doing a better job on MNF than previously, but Kornheiser still sucks and doesn't even need to be there. I especially enjoyed his take that the Ravens weren't playing that great in the first half, it was just that the Steelers were playing poorly.

There were times in this game when Flacco finally looked like a rookie, but I'm not complaining about that because HE IS a rookie, and overall I thought he played well under the circumstances. But we were so close to winning this game! We've had two fumbles returned for TDs already, in just three games. The defense has been playing great, but the offense can't keep giving up points like that.

Okay, rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by RAVENOUS52 View Post
    I believe we showed the entire league that the Baltimore Ravens are a force to be reckoned with.

It'll be very interesting to see what 'the experts' say about us this week. I think we showed a lot of force on D and potential on O.

Hopefully this will evolve into a very good year for us...
    Much unlike my hangover I feel coming on...
    Keeping the purple flowing way out on the West Coast!

We won that game 58-2 if you look at it in terms of the clock, that is a lot to be positve about.

FWIW, I think a very overlooked reason we lost, was Ed Reed's fear of hitting people. He dove at Holmes during the TD in the third quarter, and was also a key missed tackle on Mewelde Moore in overtime. If he were the normal Ed Reed makign both of those tackels we win. I think they were more important moments hten JJ's penalty, Koch's bad punt... Not Flacco's fumble, but you get the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaine View Post

It'll be very interesting to see what 'the experts' say about us this week. I think we showed a lot of force on D and potential on O.

Hopefully this will evolve into a very good year for us...
    Much unlike my hangover I feel coming on...
    Most of what I've seen and read is about the Steelers no huddle offense beating the Ravens, although the Ravens have gone up in ESPN's power poll, from 17 to 14.

seemed to me like a game of adjustments; the Stoolers ran well early but got shut down; they stuffed the Ravens o early but Balmer got it going, etc. hard to be too unhappy about a road loss with rookie HC/QB etc. looking forward to the rematch.
    barring injuries I think Ravens can take the division.
    going into the game there was talk about how Ravens hadn't played anyone, but whom had the Stoolers played? Houston is no good, Cleveland got spanked, and they lost to the Iggles.
    so close! so close! we can all think of a dozen plays that could have changed it...
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)