Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Extended Time.

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

Extended Time.

Well here we are and which side of the fence do you sit on?

Billick has said that the starters will get extended playing time in the final preseason game, to fix what was broken in the week 3 game vs the Vikings.

A]Do you feel this is stupid and risks injuries to the starters?It's only preseason right?

B]Do you feel that this is a good punishment/wake up call to the team to stop sleep walking and get ready for week 1 vs the Buc's.

I go with B,the team needs to be focused and ready to jump out of the gates in week one.We have seen the Ravens come out in way to many games in 05 with the wrong mental attitude.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

Blog Entries

Re: Extended Time.

I go with B as well. Todd Heap was saying he has no problem with extended time. The effect of the Minny debacle was fairly depressing, and the team has to play better together before going into that first game against Tampa Bay. I'm glad that this last preseason game is an away game as well. Somehow, we've get that monkey off our backs, [I]even if it's only preseason.[I]

The only team with more to prove Thursday night is the Redskins, I would not be suprised if Gibbs plays the starters either. At least the Ravens did not look that bad.

NO FREAKIN WAY! Play the starters for a couple of series and sit them down. Yes, we were sloppy on Friday, but let's not be foolish and risk injury. While there are a couple of concerning things, I am not jumping off bridges like others are around here. I like what I saw out of our offense in the first two games. The Vikings were just fired up on Friday, but they still could not put our first team away. I believe that we win that game, if it were for real.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

McNair and Co. should play at minimum the first Q. Less if say, they go down and score on their first two drives. I would not play them much more than that though.
    ''You'd love to go on the first day but I'm glad for the situation I'm in,'' he said. ''Baltimore knows how to play defense.''

Quote Originally Posted by RavenFanatic2k6
    McNair and Co. should play at minimum the first Q. Less if say, they go down and score on their first two drives. I would not play them much more than that though.
    If Mcnair and Co. score on their first drive, there won't and shouldn't be a second drive.
    Even if they don't score, but put together a solid drive that only mounts to a field goal, I still think they will sit after that.

I believe that Billick simply wants them to have some level of self confidence going into the Bucs game.
    One solid drive will do that.

Now if we turn the ball over or look like crap, then I think they see a second showing.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

If they put a good 1st drive together, then that should be it for some of the starters - Ogden, Heap, McNair, Mason and Clayton.

On the other hand, I think Mulitalo, Flynn, Vincent and Pashos could use some extended time together for the rest of the 1st quarter (at least). :o
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

I like the idea of extended play for the oline but sit the skilled guys and let the 2nd teamers play. Mason, Clayton, Heap and McNair. Let Musa and Anderson split the carries.

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

I agree with the premise that if the starting offense put a good opening drive together they should sit after that.That opening drive in week one seems so long ago now,doesn't it?

I also agree with keeping the starting O'line out there longer together,they need all the time they can get to mesh.And JO still needs plenty of work.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

I believe that Billick simply wants them to have some level of self confidence going into the Bucs game.
    One solid drive will do that.

Now if we turn the ball over or look like crap, then I think they see a second showing.
    I say that we should play them until the score. They need to get that winning feeling back before going into Tampa.
    Oderint dum metuant

11. Re: Extended Time.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdFan
    I say that we should play them until the score. They need to get that winning feeling back before going into Tampa.
    Eh, I dunno. That seems like a bit much. Of course a 40yd TD is a score so what the hell. Overall this team really needs to get the lead out and start playing with some intensity.

Question: The Vikes were crowding the line like teams did when Boller was in there. Why is that? I thought that McNair was a vet who could spot stuff like that and audible out or find the hot read without getting crazylegs. We need to start making teams pay for that crap.

On a side note, Boller had a hotroute pass that was excellent. I don't think he was into his second step before he hit the big rook TE (I can't remember his name, ends with a -SKI and am too lazy to look it up) for an 8 yard gain. I know that he's been going against the 2nd string D's but he's looked pretty good this preseason with a line that is freaken atrocious.

Until the offensive line gets thier sh_t together McNair and Boller and whomever else we put under center are going to get crushed.

O

Question: The Vikes were crowding the line like teams did when Boller was in there. Why is that? I thought that McNair was a vet who could spot stuff like that and audible out or find the hot read without getting crazylegs. We need to start making teams pay for that crap.
    Answer:
    1. The first half of the Min game was scripted to prevent the TB scouts from scoping our response to their D.
    2. Mac probably still doesn't know all of the audibles.
    3. I believe he did check down on several occasions but the Min secondary had our receivers blanketed.
    4. All QBs need more than 2.3 seconds to make a play. Our OL has got to step up.