Question about Ravens schedule

I must have missed something here. My friend told me he thought we had a Thanksgiving game this year. When we checked the schedule, as most have already noticed, we do have a thursday game the week after Thanksgiving. I'm not complaining, it will be a fun change to get a Ravens game Thursday Night. (although 2 games in 5 days has to be tough on the players.)

My question though is why? Was any reason given by the NFL? Or is this just a way to increase how many games NFLNetwork will get?
    Actual user comment from a yahoo sports article:

On this given sunday you will witnesses why we'll called steeler nation!!!

Re: Question about Ravens schedule

I had never heard of the Ravens being scheduled for Thanksgiving Day. I personally hope not! That's the biggest family holiday in this country, and I wouldn't want the conflict.

Anyway, here's the NFL Network's Thursday night schedule:

Thursday, Nov. 23 / 8:00 p.m. ET
    Broncos vs. Chiefs

Thursday, Nov. 30 / 8:00 p.m. ET
    Ravens vs. Bengals

Thursday, Dec. 7 / 8:00 p.m. ET
    Browns vs. Steelers

Thursday, Dec. 14 / 8:00 p.m. ET
    49ers vs. Seahawks

http://nfl.com/nflnetwork/home

Under the current NFL Scheduling/TV Format it is impossible for the Ravens to play at Detroit, or at Dallas (traditonal Thanksgiving hosts) on Thanksgiving.

With the new Thanksgiving Night game being started this year, that could be a possibility in the future.

Starting with the Thanksgiving game, NFL Network will have a game every Thursday for the remainder of the season.

What concerns me is that the Ravens play Cincy four days after they play the Stealers. Two tough division games pretty close together...
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flraven
    What concerns me is that the Ravens play Cincy four days after they play the Stealers. Two tough division games pretty close together...
    That's one of my biggest concerns about our schedule. We have the Steelers at home first (hope we kick their butts!). But the Steelers always wear the team out - so much physicality, so much emotion. Then we have to play the Bengals four days later AWAY from home? That's gonna be hard.

After last year I think the Ravens deserve a break on the holidays even though we play the Steelers on Christmas Eve

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMRaven
    That's one of my biggest concerns about our schedule. We have the Steelers at home first (hope we kick their butts!). But the Steelers always wear the team out - so much physicality, so much emotion. Then we have to play the Bengals four days later AWAY from home? That's gonna be hard.
    Exactly! The Ravens will have to be in fine form by then, and maybe the Bengals might be a little banged up, can they repeat what they did last year? Can Palmer stay healthy? Its remarkable that he came back that quick from the knee injury, will he still be the starter by then?
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Falcons-Steelers-Bengals-Chiefs, tough stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaven
    Falcons-Steelers-Bengals-Chiefs, tough stretch.
    I've pretty much written off that Bengals game. Like someone esle said, our team will be exhausted after the Steelers. I think we can definitely beat the Falcons and Steelers at home, we are pretty much f'ed against the Bengals, and then I'd like to think we'll rebound against the Chiefs. If we go 3-1 during what is the hardest stretch of our schedule, we should be a playoff team. We can't afford to go worse than 2-2.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

They are at the Browns the previous Sunday. The Browns should sport a decent defense and might beat them up a tad. Let's hope.

November as a whole is brutal for the Ravens:
    11/5: vs Cincy
    11/12: at Tenn (should win this but we all know the road woes)
    11/19: vs Atlanta
    11/26: vs Pittsburgh
    11/30: at Cincy

This stretch makes or breaks a run at the playoffs.

FM