Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My only concern

Re: My only concern

I am not worried at all. If we get 7 points on 2 drives a game that is better then years prior. Kick in or D and let them keep the points down for the other team. Add in a couple Stover 3s and I smell wins all season. I think that in 2 years we will know what we have but not before. I think trying to force throws in the Red Zone would be more a cause for concern since that is when most teams end up with a turn over or only 3 points. I will gladly take 7 on the ground then 3 in the air!
    Just my dime ... since 2 cents cant even buy a gumball now!

"It is not how you play the game that matters... It is Winning The Super Bowl that counts"... Rumor Ray

Baltimore Has 10 Pro Football Championships!
    Baltimore Colts [NFL] in 1958, 1959, 1968, and 1970
    Baltimore Stars [USFL] in 1985
    Baltimore Stallions [CFL] in 1995
    Baltimore Ravens [NFL] in 2000 and 2012
    Baltimore Mariners [AIFA] in 2010
    Baltimore Mariners [AIF] in 2014

My only concern is the health of the secondary. Reed's neck, C-Mac's knee, Rolle's body, Fabian Washington's bulging disc--those are the Ravens top 4 in the secondary. I know they'll have the pass rush, but I'd have to think the health of the banged up secondary is the biggest concern.

Flacco is the next concern for me.

I wanted to see Flacco throw a TD too. Especially at the end of the 4th quarter when we had ran basically all the time off the clock and we were in the red zone. Why not let him throw one on the 4th down? We were going for it anyway. Even if by chance they picked it and ran it back, they'd still be down by 2 scores with about 2 mins. to go. But, I know they did the smart thing. Run it down their throats and take as much time off the clock. That said, I was happy with his performance. He had some nice 11-15 yrd passes for 1st downs and how about that spin move to convert the 4th down. He's poised and makes smart decisions. That's what we need. I'm not putting the cart before the horse, but hell, we won a SB with Trent Dilfer. Who knows what this team is capable of. I agree, however, that Monday will be a true test. So far, he's only had to play in the nice and friendly confines of Raven Stadium. I'm excited to see what he does in Pittsburgh.
    Sick and tired of transplants. If Pissburgh is so great, carry your black-lung asses back there.

Quote Originally Posted by octscotts View Post
    I wanted to see Flacco throw a TD too. Especially at the end of the 4th quarter when we had ran basically all the time off the clock and we were in the red zone. Why not let him throw one on the 4th down? We were going for it anyway. Even if by chance they picked it and ran it back, they'd still be down by 2 scores with about 2 mins. to go. But, I know they did the smart thing. Run it down their throats and take as much time off the clock. That said, I was happy with his performance. He had some nice 11-15 yrd passes for 1st downs and how about that spin move to convert the 4th down. He's poised and makes smart decisions. That's what we need. I'm not putting the cart before the horse, but hell, we won a SB with Trent Dilfer. Who knows what this team is capable of. I agree, however, that Monday will be a true test. So far, he's only had to play in the nice and friendly confines of Raven Stadium. I'm excited to see what he does in Pittsburgh.
    We didn't go for the TD there b/c we still have to go play the Browns in their house, and with the game in hand why piss them off by running up the score.

There were two plays yesterday that really have me excited about Flacco.

The one play were he rolled to his left, then no one was open over there and he threw to a wide open Todd heap on the other side of the field. The patience it took to find heap who was his 4th option on the play was great.

The other play was on a third down he couldn't find anyone open, moved up in the pocket like he was going to take off in the middle, but he kept his head up and threw over the middle for a first down. Again Poise, and Patience.

Two small plays that speak volumes to me. Previous QB's here would have panicked when their first couple of recievers hadn't been open and either ran, taken the sack, or tried to force it into a covered receiver...
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!

Yeah, I gotta say his patience and ability to look downfield and make his checkdowns is what I like best so far...

Next Monday will be the4 first real tough test... My gut says he will be fine... I hope my gut is right.
    Keeping the purple flowing way out on the West Coast!

Very true. Previous QBs (whom shall remain nameless) would surely have thrown that ball away after the 1st receiver was covered, much less checking off to his 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

And I hear what you say about running up the score. I'm not trying to be the Patriots. It would just be nice to see what his arm has in the red zone.
    Sick and tired of transplants. If Pissburgh is so great, carry your black-lung asses back there.

Quote Originally Posted by octscotts View Post
    Very true. Previous QBs (whom shall remain nameless) would surely have thrown that ball away after the 1st receiver was covered, much less checking off to his 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

And I hear what you say about running up the score. I'm not trying to be the Patriots. It would just be nice to see what his arm has in the red zone.
    It would be nice, I agree. But Patience Grasshopper there will be a time this season where we have to throw in the red zone.
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pyite32 View Post
    We didn't go for the TD there b/c we still have to go play the Browns in their house, and with the game in hand why piss them off by running up the score.
    I thought is spoke well of the Ravens staff that they didn't go for a cheap td or fg at that point. and kudos for Coach Crennell for not playing the time out game.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Quote Originally Posted by RavenDavey View Post
    I have no concern because the Offense is moving the ball and controlling the clock, and the Defense is Dominating. We are still scoring defensively as well. If we maintain our massive time of possession, the D will be well rested to put the smackdown on the opposing teams.

Joe will throw for TD's here soon, and we may see an offensive explosion back to the "Testaverde to Jackson" days....AND STILL HAVE OUR D!!!
    I agree... and keep posting, your'e avatar cannot be seen too often! Who cares how we get'em... Look at the score... 28 points..... that means ALL TD's!!!!! not 15 points.... all FG's!

I agree with whoever mentioned the Big Ben Theory, Cam is slowly bringing him in. I expect the playbook to open up more as the season goes and he really gets a rhythm. I want him to throw a TD, but his time will come. I don't remember seeing a QB this cool behind our O Line since Vinny did or McNair in '06.

He's a very smart guy, his time will come. I'm hoping it's next week against Shitsburgh, though :)
    Waiting for the next one!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    I think you need to keep it in perspective that the guy shouldn't even be starting. Boller gets hurt and Smith gets the infection. I don't think anyone thought he was ready to start but there was really no choice. The fact that we have gotten two wins is a bonus.

The real test will be Monday night to see if he is really a capable NFL starting QB for 2008. I think everyone needs to remember that he is really the third string guy right now and not lose perspective and start thinking he is the "chosen one".
    I agree. But we have to find a way to minimize the bone-headed mistakes he's gonna make as a rook with no clipboard time. We've gotten off to the best start we could hope for and if we're gonna capitalize on that momentum, we have to make sure the kid isn't overloaded with too much responsibility.

By no way am I saying Joe is peyton, but look how bad that O is playing right now due to Peyton's injury and lack of practice time with his WR's, same can go for Joe, he didn't really get a ton of time with the starters and now is, IMO he will continue to get better, and the bottom line is we are winning!
    Hating Steeler Fans Since Birth

Section 126, Row 33

Lets Go Flacco :happyanim