Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My only concern

My only concern

Is it just me or is anyone else worried that Flacco hasn't thrown a TD in two games. He's playing great all things considered, but my concern is that at some point he is going to need to win a game for us, when the running game isn't there.

I know Heap droped a TD the first game, and the second pick wasn't a big deal yesterday.

Go ahead and beat me up, but I'm just a little worried.

Re: My only concern

Eh, I wanted him to get a TD yesterday but it didn't work out.

If you think about it though, which would you rather do in the red-zone. Have a rookie QB throw the ball, or have one of your well rested and very good RBs take over and pound it?

As long as we're scoring TDs, I'm not real particular how we get 'em.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

I think you need to keep it in perspective that the guy shouldn't even be starting. Boller gets hurt and Smith gets the infection. I don't think anyone thought he was ready to start but there was really no choice. The fact that we have gotten two wins is a bonus.

The real test will be Monday night to see if he is really a capable NFL starting QB for 2008. I think everyone needs to remember that he is really the third string guy right now and not lose perspective and start thinking he is the "chosen one".

He is showing great poise. I thought it was telling when they interviewed Harbaugh after the game and Harbaugh said he went up to "console" Flacco after the 1st interception and Flacco actually consoled him by saying something like, "I got this coach...I'm fine". That to me is more important right now than touchdown passes.

This is not a concern

For 9 years, I have been wanting to see a supposed "power running game" actually do well on 3rd and short. And we never did.

Consistently we have been able to convert 3rd and short with the power game -- what a difference!

If you were Cam Cameron and you could consistently power the ball into the end zone through the running game, why wouldn't you?

At some point, we'll need to throw it, but that time will come. What was great is to see the play calling to have the pass set up the run.

Flacco's time will come in terms of stats

Perhaps he "shouldn't" be starting, but he is. And he is doing a very capable job of it too. True, the Browns and Bengals may not be the elite of the NFL, but Flacco was able to move the offense down the field and score TDs.

I wouldn't call him the third string guy, not after he's led the team to two wins, both in convincing fashion. As wins should be against struggling teams.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

the good thing is, he IS completing passes. it just happens that it's the running plays they get the tds on. no doubt he'll throw start throwing them soon.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

No...jeez..the guy is playing well. Heap dropped a TD pass int he 1st game. His time will come.
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

Don't get me wrong - I'm glad we have a power running game - a REAL good one at that. It's fun watching our RB's bust heads.

I just worry that sooner than later we will need to air it out if you look at the upcoming schedule. It's tough!

To say Flacco is playing great is a bit of a stretch.

He played good the 1st game, average to below average yesterday. Those two INT's we're rookie mistakes so it's expected.

I am glad the running games is working out. That takes a lot of pressure of Flacco and gives him time to shake those rookies mental lapses.

But yes, I agree that Flacco is my only concern at this point.

I have no concern because the Offense is moving the ball and controlling the clock, and the Defense is Dominating. We are still scoring defensively as well. If we maintain our massive time of possession, the D will be well rested to put the smackdown on the opposing teams.

Joe will throw for TD's here soon, and we may see an offensive explosion back to the "Testaverde to Jackson" days....AND STILL HAVE OUR D!!!

Blog Entries

not concerned because we haven't been in the position to need a passing TD...

So far, our offensive game plan has been:

1) Pass early to spread out the defense
    2) Smash them up running the ball when there's not 8 in the box
    3) Mix in some passes to keep the D honest and not let them return to 8 in the box
    4) Play defensive offense with the lead in the 2nd half, grinding them with our run game

Flacco has really only had two throws to the endzone, the Heap drop and the Flea Flicker, which I read more as a "let's just air out Flacco's arm, who cares if it gets picked". He hasn't been in a position to throw a TD pass yet that would've made sense. When we get inside the 10, it's better to let our ground game just chew up the yards.

Plus look at how Flacco looks throwing early in the game. Poised, powerful, few mistakes, good completions. He was 8 for his first 10, the only 2 being the picks.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

The Ravens are taking the same approach with Flacco as the Steelers did with Roethisberger in 2004.

They have a great running game, O-line, and a Dominant Defense, so Flacco doesn't need to wing the ball unless we are down by a big margin.

In 2004 the Steelers were constantly leading in games, and all Big Ben needed to do was hand the ball off. In most of there games, Ben attempted less than 20 passes.

If you can remember, In 04' when the Steelers were down against us, and the Pats in the Playoffs, thats when Interceptions and rookie mistakes came from Big Ben. Big Ben's stats his rookie year as misleading because he rarely threw the ball, but when he had to throw the ball to come back in games, he looked like a rookie QB.

The one concern I do have is our recievers, we have no deep threats. Big Ben had Plaxico Burress, Hines Ward is his prime, and Antwan Randle El, but Flacco has nobody who can stretch the field and utilize his big arm. The flea flicker to Derrick Mason had me scratching my head, Mason doesn't have the speed anymore to beat defenders deep. The flea flicker could have been better suited for someone like Demetrius Williams because of his height.

I think Flacco will be OK, he should'nt have to throw the ball very much unless we are down by a big margin.

His stats as a rookie are not important, just his ability to not lose us games.
    Last edited by Heap86; 09-22-2008 at 02:01 PM.