Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Offensive Line

I must say, so far, I am pretty damn impressed by our OL. Yeah it was the Bengals and Browns, but even against those teams, we have seen our OL struggle against them over the last couple years.

They had a series later on in the game where they were having a little trouble, but for once, guys getting threw was the exception and not the rule like it has been before. And with the exception of the Chiefs game 2 years ago, I haven't seen our OL absolutely dominate in the 4th quarter like this...and they have done it 2 weeks in a row!

I'd like to give it up for Gaither, Grubbs, Brown, Yanda and Terry (and Willie Anderson). Keep it going guys as you are gonna have your hands full with the Steelers next week.

Re: The Offensive Line

no you are right they are playing very good and this was the first real test as the brownies do have a very good front 7, this should be a pretty good year if they keep it up
    Hating Steeler Fans Since Birth

Section 126, Row 33

Lets Go Flacco :happyanim

Blog Entries

I thought they looked great! No one, especially on this board, thought they would look as good as they have. Next week on the road will be the first big test for them....

Quote Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
    I thought they looked great! No one, especially on this board, thought they would look as good as they have. Next week on the road will be the first big test for them....
    True, wasn't bashing them on this board but i must admit i didn't think they'd come together till next year.

Truth be told i think they are good at pass blocking and incredible at run blocking right now. Biggest down fall in the pass blocking area is the tackle position but only because Gaither is still very young and well on his way to developing into a great tackle but today he still needs help at times.(against really good DEs)

Anderson's very presence makes this line better because he won't need help and in fact might be able to pick up some of the incredible slack we have at TE position in the running game.

Still on sold on Terry as a full time starter, we'll see how the year goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I must say, so far, I am pretty damn impressed by our OL. Yeah it was the Bengals and Browns, but even against those teams, we have seen our OL struggle against them over the last couple years.
    Agreed. I was pleased - and a little surprised - to see them play so well two games in a row.

The one sack today was on Joe. He held it way too long in there. . .
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

I think the OL has been so stellar these first two games that it almost seems like they were playing possum in the preseason, because they looked pretty bad in the preseason. But of course they weren't starting all of their starters in the preseaon, and it seems like the time off did them some good. They have looked very good in both pass protection and run blocking, and I'm feeling very optimistic about this group now. I didn't feel that way at all before the first real game, but now the games count and they are playing the regulars, I'm feeling pretty good about the OL. They seem to be coming together much earlier than I expected.

Count me in on the 'guys who had it wrong about the O line'.

I wanted the Ravens to keep Bazooka on the sideline this season strictly because I thought he'd get killed.

Wrong again I am.

Looking at it all over again, not only does the O line look fantastic (and young), they have DEPTH as well.

Very happy and not especially surprised either, I've stated throughout the summer that I thought the talent was there but I'm very very pleased with how well they've gelled so early, particularly with how much time the tackles missed in training camp, very impressive. Kudos to all those guys on the line and also a big hats off to the new OL coach as well, he's doing a fine job.

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    I think the OL has been so stellar these first two games that it almost seems like they were playing possum in the preseason, because they looked pretty bad in the preseason. But of course they weren't starting all of their starters in the preseaon, and it seems like the time off did them some good. They have looked very good in both pass protection and run blocking, and I'm feeling very optimistic about this group now. I didn't feel that way at all before the first real game, but now the games count and they are playing the regulars, I'm feeling pretty good about the OL. They seem to be coming together much earlier than I expected.
    so true; the injuries made them seem worse (Cousins and the guy from the Raiders whose name I already forget starting at tackle). I was worried Terry and Gaither would be hobbling, but so far so good. and picking up Big Willie makes things that much better (Thanks Cinci!!!)
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

I love the jumbo package -- having Anderson, Gaither and Terry in at once with McClain and O'Neal near the goal line.

Cam Cameron tried that formation a few times yesterday with good results.

This season so far is showing that good coaching makes all the difference in the world. Our talent hasn't changed dramatically, but the coaching has made a difference.

Also -- four years of drafting to improve both lines is also having its effect. Go to the Steelers board to see them moaning about the degradation of their o-line over the last four years.

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenStockers View Post
    Very happy and not especially surprised either, I've stated throughout the summer that I thought the talent was there but I'm very very pleased with how well they've gelled so early, particularly with how much time the tackles missed in training camp, very impressive. Kudos to all those guys on the line and also a big hats off to the new OL coach as well, he's doing a fine job.
    Credit given where credit is due, you are 100% correct you called it, UK. :respect
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Put me in the "doubters" category too ....

Next Monday will be the true test. We beat two teams that have as many wins this season as I do. While I an happy to see us at 2-0, the real test comes against Shittsburgh.