Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1

    The Offensive Line



    I must say, so far, I am pretty damn impressed by our OL. Yeah it was the Bengals and Browns, but even against those teams, we have seen our OL struggle against them over the last couple years.

    They had a series later on in the game where they were having a little trouble, but for once, guys getting threw was the exception and not the rule like it has been before. And with the exception of the Chiefs game 2 years ago, I haven't seen our OL absolutely dominate in the 4th quarter like this...and they have done it 2 weeks in a row!

    I'd like to give it up for Gaither, Grubbs, Brown, Yanda and Terry (and Willie Anderson). Keep it going guys as you are gonna have your hands full with the Steelers next week.




  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Owings Mills
    Posts
    1,655

    Re: The Offensive Line

    no you are right they are playing very good and this was the first real test as the brownies do have a very good front 7, this should be a pretty good year if they keep it up
    Hating Steeler Fans Since Birth

    Section 126, Row 33




    Lets Go Flacco




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern PA
    Posts
    5,056
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: The Offensive Line

    I thought they looked great! No one, especially on this board, thought they would look as good as they have. Next week on the road will be the first big test for them....




  4. #4

    Re: The Offensive Line

    Quote Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
    I thought they looked great! No one, especially on this board, thought they would look as good as they have. Next week on the road will be the first big test for them....
    True, wasn't bashing them on this board but i must admit i didn't think they'd come together till next year.

    Truth be told i think they are good at pass blocking and incredible at run blocking right now. Biggest down fall in the pass blocking area is the tackle position but only because Gaither is still very young and well on his way to developing into a great tackle but today he still needs help at times.(against really good DEs)

    Anderson's very presence makes this line better because he won't need help and in fact might be able to pick up some of the incredible slack we have at TE position in the running game.

    Still on sold on Terry as a full time starter, we'll see how the year goes.




  5. #5

    Re: The Offensive Line

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I must say, so far, I am pretty damn impressed by our OL. Yeah it was the Bengals and Browns, but even against those teams, we have seen our OL struggle against them over the last couple years.
    Agreed. I was pleased - and a little surprised - to see them play so well two games in a row.

    The one sack today was on Joe. He held it way too long in there. . .
    Festivus

    His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.




  6. #6

    Re: The Offensive Line

    I think the OL has been so stellar these first two games that it almost seems like they were playing possum in the preseason, because they looked pretty bad in the preseason. But of course they weren't starting all of their starters in the preseaon, and it seems like the time off did them some good. They have looked very good in both pass protection and run blocking, and I'm feeling very optimistic about this group now. I didn't feel that way at all before the first real game, but now the games count and they are playing the regulars, I'm feeling pretty good about the OL. They seem to be coming together much earlier than I expected.




  7. #7

    Re: The Offensive Line

    Count me in on the 'guys who had it wrong about the O line'.

    I wanted the Ravens to keep Bazooka on the sideline this season strictly because I thought he'd get killed.

    Wrong again I am.

    Looking at it all over again, not only does the O line look fantastic (and young), they have DEPTH as well.




  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Norwich, England
    Posts
    2,093

    Re: The Offensive Line

    Very happy and not especially surprised either, I've stated throughout the summer that I thought the talent was there but I'm very very pleased with how well they've gelled so early, particularly with how much time the tackles missed in training camp, very impressive. Kudos to all those guys on the line and also a big hats off to the new OL coach as well, he's doing a fine job.




  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Eastern Shore
    Posts
    1,979

    Re: The Offensive Line

    Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    I think the OL has been so stellar these first two games that it almost seems like they were playing possum in the preseason, because they looked pretty bad in the preseason. But of course they weren't starting all of their starters in the preseaon, and it seems like the time off did them some good. They have looked very good in both pass protection and run blocking, and I'm feeling very optimistic about this group now. I didn't feel that way at all before the first real game, but now the games count and they are playing the regulars, I'm feeling pretty good about the OL. They seem to be coming together much earlier than I expected.
    so true; the injuries made them seem worse (Cousins and the guy from the Raiders whose name I already forget starting at tackle). I was worried Terry and Gaither would be hobbling, but so far so good. and picking up Big Willie makes things that much better (Thanks Cinci!!!)
    Baltimore Ravens, 2012 NFL Champions!




  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Sparks, MD
    Posts
    627

    Re: The Offensive Line

    I love the jumbo package -- having Anderson, Gaither and Terry in at once with McClain and O'Neal near the goal line.

    Cam Cameron tried that formation a few times yesterday with good results.

    This season so far is showing that good coaching makes all the difference in the world. Our talent hasn't changed dramatically, but the coaching has made a difference.

    Also -- four years of drafting to improve both lines is also having its effect. Go to the Steelers board to see them moaning about the degradation of their o-line over the last four years.




  11. #11

    Re: The Offensive Line

    Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenStockers View Post
    Very happy and not especially surprised either, I've stated throughout the summer that I thought the talent was there but I'm very very pleased with how well they've gelled so early, particularly with how much time the tackles missed in training camp, very impressive. Kudos to all those guys on the line and also a big hats off to the new OL coach as well, he's doing a fine job.
    Credit given where credit is due, you are 100% correct you called it, UK.
    Festivus

    His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.




  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,516

    Re: The Offensive Line

    Put me in the "doubters" category too ....

    Next Monday will be the true test. We beat two teams that have as many wins this season as I do. While I an happy to see us at 2-0, the real test comes against Shittsburgh.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  13. #13

    Talking Re: The Offensive Line

    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    I love the jumbo package -- having Anderson, Gaither and Terry in at once with McClain and O'Neal near the goal line.

    Cam Cameron tried that formation a few times yesterday with good results.

    This season so far is showing that good coaching makes all the difference in the world. Our talent hasn't changed dramatically, but the coaching has made a difference.

    Also -- four years of drafting to improve both lines is also having its effect. Go to the Steelers board to see them moaning about the degradation of their o-line over the last four years.
    Given the fact that we still haven't experienced any greater success throwing the ball and still pretty much dominate in the running game as we normally do, I don't see coaching as much being the difference as the upgrade and maturation of our personnel.

    We're moving the ball on the ground because we have the horses to do so, not because we've magically become this super-playcalling phenomenom.

    UNLEASH THE BEASTS!!!!




  14. #14

    Re: The Offensive Line

    Quote Originally Posted by RAVENOUS52 View Post
    Given the fact that we still haven't experienced any greater success throwing the ball and still pretty much dominate in the running game as we normally do, I don't see coaching as much being the difference as the upgrade and maturation of our personnel.

    We're moving the ball on the ground because we have the horses to do so, not because we've magically become this super-playcalling phenomenom.
    I disagree. Look at what was happening yesterday. How many times were there shifts, motions, and resets? Shifting into a pro-set. It even led to letting Flacco roll-out and throw across to Heap.

    Billick NEVER did any of that.




  15. #15

    Re: The Offensive Line

    Our passing game was virtually a non-factor yesterday. We won the game because of our bread-and-butter: A stout running game and an indominatible defense.

    If you remember, we were penalized once when we tried to get too cute and threw a Hail Mary INT the other time on a play that took way too long to develop. We may well be switching our calls up more, but I don't see that as the reason that we're succeeding on offense.

    If anything, I think it's because of our improved O-line play directly affecting our Running game, our improved Special Teams play and guys like these:



    ...putting us in AWESOME field position that set up each of our scores...(or in Reed's case, taking it to the House himself!)




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland