Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Free agent the Ravens should sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius View Post
    I guess he could help us if he can show up and stay healthy.

We have no 1st TE, our 2nd TE is gone for the year so at that position we're pretty screwed.

I just wish people would realize that what we have seen the last 3-4 seasons is the real Todd Heap, he is not the player that went to the pro bowl.

We can all get old and die waiting for him to 'return to that form', it isn't gonna happen.

The guy plays hard and is healthy and productive for 6-8 games a year tops. In my mind he'd be a good #2, we already have another good #2 and he gets too much money for that.

we should cut our losses on heap, consider the TE slot a wash and while we're at it why not sign someone off the street.

They can't do worse than barely show up, drop easy catches, fail to block anyone and get hurt all the time, can they?
    So one game where he drops 2 easy catches and fumbles when he barely practices at all during preseason? I respect your opinion but I could not disagree more with you. I am betting you are going to see him thrown to a lot during the Browns game because Cleveland doesn't have anyone who can cover him.

Quote Originally Posted by WxKevin View Post
    So one game where he drops 2 easy catches and fumbles when he barely practices at all during preseason? I respect your opinion but I could not disagree more with you. I am betting you are going to see him thrown to a lot during the Browns game because Cleveland doesn't have anyone who can cover him.
    No it is not one game, it is his career.

When will people in this town wake up and stop waiting for Heap to "return to pro bowl form".

This is the real Heap, he gives you 6-8 good games a year and is injured and either out or ineffective the rest of the time.

He is not going to "return to form" because he is in his form, he's an over sized slot receiver and would probably be a damn good one if that was what he did only.

His blocking is not even passable, it's tragic, he only looks good if he is blocking a DB down field in that area.

EDIT: to be clear, i haven not said he can't make plays in the passing game, he definitely can.

However he is in the wrong position and will not stay healthy as an undersized injury prone tight end and this season will be the same as every other, 6-8 good games and a lot of being "dinged up".

I'd like to see us have a true TE and alternate Heap in as a slot, 2nd TE and maybe on 3rd downs but that won't happen because his salary is way too huge for that.

Morbius, I have had similar takes in the past. Heap is a god ont eh forums and you won't have a warm reception. The guy was NEVER elite, and as of now is simply an overpaid, undersized pass catcher, that at the moment can't do that. He always has been among the worst blockers in the league at the position.

I'm sure Roy Williams would love to escape Detroit. He'll definitely be looked at. I think Anquan Boldin's on the last year of his contract with the Cardinals. I'd look at him as well.
    Sick and tired of transplants. If Pissburgh is so great, carry your black-lung asses back there.

How are you hating on Heap? He had a few drops, but he also had some body shots in the blocking game.

He also went Decon Jones on the Clown who tried to take him down in the open field. Did you catch how he head slapped him and then changed hands and gave him a bdy blow, open hand pimp slap. He went Chuck Norris Kung Fu mustach darth vader grip for a second there.

I just want some depth at TE becasue they get hurt. Gates, Shockey, Winslow and LJ Smith in Philly have all missed as much time as Heap recently. That is just a collision position that is very dangerous and tough on every play.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    How are you hating on Heap? He had a few drops, but he also had some body shots in the blocking game.

He also went Decon Jones on the Clown who tried to take him down in the open field. Did you catch how he head slapped him and then changed hands and gave him a bdy blow, open hand pimp slap. He went Chuck Norris Kung Fu mustach darth vader grip for a second there.

I just want some depth at TE becasue they get hurt. Gates, Shockey, Winslow and LJ Smith in Philly have all missed as much time as Heap recently. That is just a collision position that is very dangerous and tough on every play.
    I'm not "hating on Heap".

I'm just not wearing Todd Heap colored glasses that distort reality and make me think he's a top 5 TE.

He isn't.

He would probably be in the top 3 slot receivers in the game period. I do not think the man can't catch and i do, as you do, appreciate his ability after he catches the ball.

That said, is that the 'job description' of a TE?

hell no it isn't.

a TE has to block, if a TE can't then he's a LIABILITY, not an asset.

The greatest TEs to ever play were more like an offensive guard with hands than a wide receiver in a big body, that is what Heap is, a big slow WR.

If you think for one minute Heap is the best TE the Ravens have ever had then i want some of what you're smoking. Shannon Sharp was everything Heap is but he was a TE first, it's really not a comparison.

I don't criticize his pass catching abilities, i criticize his spot on the roster, he belongs in the receiving corps, he's like a big slow Brandon Stokley, he's not a small Shannon Sharp.

Face it we need a TE, and we need to use Heap at what he's good at and stop letting him be a liability in the running game.

Would you ask Derrik Masson to line up next to Terry Allen or Willie Anderson and take on the linebacker or DE lined up over him?

If so then i'm glad you're not the coach, that's about how bad Heap is in the blocking area. By using a guy in that position we're limiting the options the team has over all.

Picture Heap lining up in the slot, doing what he does best and going in motion a lot. He could be quite a distraction and could scare defenses because he's almost like covering a TE, but as fast as an average possession receiver.

It's a sweet image, almost as sweet as Heaps blocking is ugly.

PS. i don't expect a warm welcome because i think Heap is the most over rated TE in the league.

I enjoy watching people who don't see to remember football is a team game, that is all about strategy and playing within a set system, flail away trying to defend a guy who can only perform half his positions duties.

I don't criticize his pass catching abilities, i criticize his spot on the roster, he belongs in the receiving corps, he's like a big slow Brandon Stokley, he's not a small Shannon Sharp.
    ?

Shannon Sharpe: 6'-2", 228 (http://www.nfl.com/players/shannonsh...e?id=SHA468534)

Todd Heap: 6'-5", 250
    (http://www.baltimoreravens.com/Peopl...Todd_Heap.aspx)

I would never argue that Heap is better than Shannon, but Todd is not a small guy.

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely inexplicable…

There is another theory which states that this - has - already - happened…

"We don't have a town drunk...we all take turns..."

fair point, but he's the worst blocking, most injury prone 250 pound tight end i've ever seen.

also to look at him i'd have said 225 tops, he just doesn't even look, or play that big. must be cause he's tall.

EDIT: one other thought, Sharp wasn't a great blocker, simply a good one.

fair point, but he's the worst blocking, most injury prone 250 pound tight end i've ever seen.

also to look at him i'd have said 225 tops, he just doesn't even look, or play that big. must be cause he's tall.

EDIT: one other thought, Sharp wasn't a great blocker, simply a good one.
    That is crazy talk. Did you see Todd's man make any tackles in the run game? They have him playing tackle and blocking DEs in the unbalanced looks. What are you talking about he can not block.

Did you see the open hand heap slap? That is worth 3 drops and a missed block.

He gets hurt but less than Shockey and less than Winslow. TEs get hurt. That is why I decided to only play DE. Much rather hit than be hit. TEs take some of the nastiest hits in football.

10. Re: Free agent the Ravens should sign.

Need 1 Vertical threat true #1 WR reciever please.
    Get that and now you have an real offense.

I can see where Morbius is coming from, but my outlook on Heap isn't at that level of pessimism. Heap can do a lot to repair his image with some fans by going out there and getting back to his 2005 and 2006 form...

I personally think he has a lot left in his tank and will get back to being a Top 5 TE...

I hope so... he ain't done nothin' for my Fantasy team so far!
    Keeping the purple flowing way out on the West Coast!