Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: The debate has just begun: arm strength

This team will run a ball controlled Offense, why does McNair need to be throwing 40 or 50 yard bombs.
    Because ball control by itself doesn't translate into wins. Again I'd like to point out that our 1st team offense scored 3 points in the last 2 games. 3 points with drives that stalled.

And as Minnesota did, and the Bucs will do, they'll put 8 in the box and plug up the short routes so that Mason and Clayton can't get their YAC. Just like they couldn't get any YAC Friday night. And unless that changes, defenses will play us like they did last year.

I said in the offseason teams will gameplan to attack this offensive line because they know it's not that good. The Vikings did it. And everyone who looks at gamefilm will see it.

And as Minnesota did, and the Bucs will do, they'll put 8 in the box and plug up the short routes so that Mason and Clayton can't get their YAC. Just like they couldn't get any YAC Friday night. And unless that changes, defenses will play us like they did last year.
    You are putting way too much stock into the preseason. They ran a Extremely Vanilla Offense for a reason Friday Night. Why throw everything but the kitchen sink at the Vikings in a meaningless game, that would just give Monte Kiffin a greater advantage for a Defensive Gameplan against us.

I put too much stock in watching our offensive line get once again pushed around by the 21st ranked defense in the league. I'm putting stock in Monte Kiffen gameplanning to attack the right side of our offensive line and bottling up the run. With 7 years of offensive line problems, I'm not discounting what I'm seeing in pre-season either.

I put too much stock in watching our offensive line get once again pushed around by the 21st ranked defense in the league.
    I don't think that defense is going to be ranked 21st again this year. The Vikes have the potential to be pretty good this year.

Having said that, it doesn't excuse the piss-poor play of the O-line, who mailed it in on Friday night. Deep balls aren't going to happen when McNair has a blitzing lineman in his face before he can set his feet.

While Fassel wants to keep things relatively vanilla and not give the Bucs too much inclination as to our gameplan, the pre-season still exists to get players in game shape and allow teams to practice execution. I would therefore expect to see more than ONE attempt at a deep ball from McNair so far. The current play calling would suggest the coaching staff's belief that increased efficiency is all we need. The fact that the Vikings cottoned on to this line of thought early, shut us down and we had no plan B HAS to be a concern, coupled with the two deep balls that have fluttered on McNair in this pre-season. If nothing else, a nice 40 yard completion down the sideline to Mason this week might at least keep the Bucs from stacking the box from the get-go on Sep 10.

I think tonights game proved that McNair still has good arm strength and can throw the ball deep. Case Closed!!

I think tonights game proved that McNair still has good arm strength and can throw the ball deep.
    YAC. The pass was only about 15 yards. It worked, though, so I'm not unhappy. In fact, I'm delighted to see some YAC.
    Oderint dum metuant

YAC. The pass was only about 15 yards.
    ??? :insane: Not sure why it's worth discussing now, but Devard got only about 5 yards after the catch (not sure where you're getting 20 from).

I wouldn't call the pass a bomb, but it was still a very solid 30+ yard throw. And the pass to Clayton was a 20yd laser in the air, as he caught it about 5 into the EZ (and obviously there weren't any YAC on that play).

I wouldn't credit, the "big" gains on that drive to YAC.

Amazing how many pot shots people STILL take on Boller and he's not even the starter. Amazing.

Amazing how many pot shots people STILL take on Boller and he's not even the starter. Amazing
    So what stinger. It really shouldn't bother you. Even Todd heap said that Mcnair throws a "catch able ball". I also heard a sound byte on Sirius from billick this morning saying that the ravens finally have a real QB since he has been the coach of the ravens. You might think its a pot shot but its just an honest observation.

Don't bother me at all. Just a shame that obsession still exists.

A couple mid-range passes against Landover: one was sharp for a TD, the other was underthrown. Nothing in the Tampa game changes the debate. Not debating about McNair's accuracy thowing those safe little passes to get a 100 QB rating, but rather his ability to air it out. It still hasn't happened, and assumedly opponents scouts notice as well.

Unless I blinked at Tampa and missed something!

A couple mid-range passes against Landover: one was sharp for a TD, the other was underthrown
    What pass was underthrown, the 35 yard pass to DVD?

Not sure what game you were watching, but that pass was not underthrown.

If Boller had ever shown the ability to make a play action fake and hit a receiver in stride like McNair did on that play I would have been jumping up and down for joy. Unfortunately, I don't think they would even trust him enough to call a play like that deep in our territory. They probably call a handoff to Jamal and punt.
    I have come to the conclusion that alot of our fans are so used to complaining about our past QB's that no matter how well they play and how many wins they get, they will still be looking for aspects of thier game to complain about.

Steve McNair did not look perfect, and did not complete every pass in stride, he also led a few 3 and Outs on Offense, and has not yet attempted a pass over 50 yards. Let me know if I missed anything
    Last edited by Heap86; 09-15-2006 at 12:33 AM.