Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

It's Only Preseason

Luckily this is not a regular season game, but a couple of things concern me.

1. The team lacked any spirit. I don't know if it was their flight, or whether Clinton Portis sparked a disdain, from vets (or players of Portis's "caliber"), for these games, but we have got to get some fight while on the road. We always play with thunder at home and flat on the road.

2. The 1st string OL has reverted back to its terrible self. They gave McNair no time, and the RBs no lanes. The Vikings DL is very good, but so were the Eagles and Giants front seven.

3. Moore made nice catches, but I still say, "so what." He did not make those catches with any confidence. It was almost like Moore was surprised he caught those passes. When Moore was faced with 3 second string defenders (mind you), we saw that Moore obviously needs another groin surgery....or maybe they took them.

4. Boller, after 4 years, is still staring down receivers, but he is backup.

5. We are still making stupid penalties. Pashos is becoming the King of False Starts.

Now, the things that encouraged me:

1. Sam Koch stepped up big time. Now, he has to do it again against the Redskins.

2. The 2nd string OL played well, and gave Boller time to make throws. Brown, and Chester should be given time with the first team. (Anyone noticed that Brown hasn't played center since the first game? Looks as if his future is at guard. Chester actually look great at center).

3. PJ Daniels ran the ball very well. He either makes this team, or goes on IR due to an "injury." He won't make it through waivers to even get to the Practice Squad.

4. As far as I am concerned, Demetrius Williams has won the 3rd string WR slot with Darling as the 4th. You know that Billick still is in love with Moore, though.

5. Our second string defense plays smarter than the first team. Good to know that we have depth on defense.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Re: It's Only Preseason

You know that Billick still is in love with Moore, though.
    Regretfully, I agree with you. Here's hoping that LaTendress makes the taxi squad.

I have not seen what Williams has done to warrant being the #3 WR, or all the fanfare he is getting. Right now, IMO, he's definitely behind Darling and may even be behind Moore, and it would certainly appear that way since the second team WRs were Darling and Moore.

Again I will say, we weren't as bad as it seemed. Only down 10-0 at the half. That isn't something insurmountable in the regular season guys.

Also, I was glad to hear Pryce showed up. It was about time!
    ''You'd love to go on the first day but I'm glad for the situation I'm in,'' he said. ''Baltimore knows how to play defense.''

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

I don't get the hating on Boller, he looked good. I hate to send this to the QB forum but the guy has put together two nice games. However you THINK he looks.

McNair had poor protection but also took too long to get rid of the ball. And I hadn't been too concerned about what others had said before, but I was tonight...his outs are soft and slow. He stared down that pick and then lofted a duck out there. He looked very poor tonight, hopefully this is just a single egg laid, but that was bad.

I forgot to put in Boller's TD run as a positive. You are correct in that Boller played well, and provided more of a threat to go deep than McNair. I am sure, however, that McNair is saving all of that for the season.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

In defense of the OL Fassel did nothing to help them out. The Vikes were sending eight guys on every play how can we expect 5 OL to block eight? NO rollouts, play action, max protecting, nothing! That doesn't exclude Pashos who was beaten one on one more than a few times. But the Vikings game planned like it was regular season and we didn't. No ones going to care because the result looked alot like the road games of last year so the Ravens don't deserve the benefit of the doubt.
    The Steelers: Still looking for a legit Super Bowl victory.

I am sure, however, that McNair is saving all of that for the season.
    As much as I don't want to sound the alarm, this is the third game in a row we haven't seen McNair go downfield, and he's floating ducks to his receivers. This isn't encouraging.

And I hadn't been too concerned about what others had said before, but I was tonight...his outs are soft and slow.
    Me too.

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

Where are the Ravens at across the board.They are still at the "Work in progress mode."And to anyone wishing the preseason was only two games.
    Then the Ravens would be starting the regular season in their usual slow flat way.

Boller and Moore provided a spark.But it was barely a gasp from a dying man.
    The team has to haul its ass out of bed.And be prepared to play from the starting whistle.It was an empty performance,and as it was the last major effort from the starters in the preseason.The coaches have to start earning their money to get this team ready to face the Buc's.Or it will be the same ol',
    same ol' in week 1.

Koch has pretty much won the starting job with this game,so some goodnews at least.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG
    As much as I don't want to sound the alarm, this is the third game in a row we haven't seen McNair go downfield, and he's floating ducks to his receivers. This isn't encouraging.
    I'm getting a little worried too. I still thought we should have gone after Culpepper for a 2nd or Drew Brees in FA. I know most people around here thought they were damaged goods, but I think the board was underestimating modern medecine and rehab.

5. Our second string defense plays smarter than the first team. Good to know that we have depth on defense.
    I starting to think that Rex Ryan is the Steve Spurrier of defense. His schemes look great against back-ups but just don't work against the starters.

I still thought we should have gone after Culpepper for a 2nd or Drew Brees in FA.
    That's your opinion; personally, I will wait until a little later than the 3rd preseason game to judge whether the McNair acquisition was a good one compared to the alternatives.

I think I said it about 4 times on the Scout board yesterday, you can't go deep if the OL can't protect you for more than 1 second. The plays don't have time to develop. I will wait until the OL starts to protect McNair better before I declare he can't or won't throw the deep ball.
    ''You'd love to go on the first day but I'm glad for the situation I'm in,'' he said. ''Baltimore knows how to play defense.''