Is there a new mentality?

Well with all the craziness involved in this Hurricane, rescheduling of bye weeks, and no real bye week b/c the team practiced all week.

In past years I would guarantee that the Ravens would lay an egg in this upcoming game, and this would probably spur a losing streak. Then the mouthy Veterans would start spouting off against the coach and probably the NFL for the poor planning. Then you would see the players lose focus on the field and start committing stupid penalties like throwing flags into the stands...

Sorry for the ramble.

I think with everything that has happened in the past 4 days, this is a critical turning point one way or another for the Ravens this week. Beating the Browns is absolutely crucial to this teams success for the rest of the season.

It's time to see what Harbaugh is really made of. I have liked everything I have seen from him so far. Come on Harbs get the team going.
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!

Blog Entries

Re: Is there a new mentality?

Agree, I was a little more flexible with a loss here, since every year there seem to be divisional upsets, not that I'm not expecting a win in this game.
    Now with the bye-botching, and the 3 hammering games we are walking into in a row, this game is a critical turning point between 8-8 and 6-10 in my mind. Thinking gone from "we should win" to "we must win" with me also.

I don't think it is a 'must' win, but I do think it IS a Win for us going into Pissburgh the following week tied for the division lead!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by ravenjoe View Post
    I don't think it is a 'must' win, but I do think it IS a Win for us going into Pissburgh the following week tied for the division lead!
    I think if we lose this game we will lose the next 4. Then we will be 1-4 going into Miami. Hopefully if that happens we pull it together for 3 wins against Miami, Oakland, and Houston with a loss to Cleveland in Cleveland in the middle. Then 4-5 going into the really tough part of the schedule.

This is how critical I think this game is.

If we win I think we can get on a roll and win 2 out of three against Shitsburgh, Tennessee, and the former Baltimore team. Putting us at 4-1 going into Miami and then home against Oakland.

This game is quite a swing in my eyes.

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

When a team is messed about with,a good Head Coach uses this scenario to pull the players together.You can turn it into an advantage if you send the right message to your players.

I think listening to Harbaugh talk,he has this skill.And the Ravens should come out with pent up aggression on D and in the running game.

Nail hit firmly on head there.Go into Pissburgh with growing confidence and a little bit of swagger with a 2-0 record.But the team cannot be looking ahead to Pisspuke before playing the Clowns.Or its foot in mouth time.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

NO nothing Changes.... Really to be honest we still need to play the same teams. The lost bye week does not change that one bit. Sure some would say the bye is needed for physical and mental reasons, however it can also set a team back. Face it our players know what they need to do now more then ever. Last year proved to them that the TEAM is needed and it takes everyone to be ready on game day.

I think that the NFL had to do it the way they did by taking this as our bye week and yes it may hurt us but think of the fact that we had one more week to get Flacco ready for games. I just hope to GOD (the best Ravens Fan) that we do not pull a stupid stunt like the Viking Fans did and BOO our quarterback. That does not make your QB better folks it makes them give up ... Can you say YOUNG?

The simple fact is that a disaster took lives, destroyed homes and more and we only had to move a football game. We will get over it and so will the team.

Now FOCUS on beating the CLOWNS at HOME with our 12th MAN and FLACCO working together in a CONTROLLED ZONE to get us to 2-0. Then lets talk about getting to 3-0.

ONE GAME AT A TIME!!!

"It is not how you play the game that matters... It is Winning The Super Bowl that counts"... Rumor Ray

Baltimore Has 10 Pro Football Championships!
    Baltimore Colts [NFL] in 1958, 1959, 1968, and 1970
    Baltimore Stars [USFL] in 1985
    Baltimore Stallions [CFL] in 1995
    Baltimore Ravens [NFL] in 2000 and 2012
    Baltimore Mariners [AIFA] in 2010
    Baltimore Mariners [AIF] in 2014

Have you guys watched any of the Clowns games?
    At home - right now we should manhandle them. And that should give us nice momentium going into Terezaheintzkerryfield.
    Keeping the purple flowing way out on the West Coast!

Quote Originally Posted by ravenfever_com View Post
    NO nothing Changes.... Really to be honest we still need to play the same teams. The lost bye week does not change that one bit. Sure some would say the bye is needed for physical and mental reasons, however it can also set a team back. Face it our players know what they need to do now more then ever. Last year proved to them that the TEAM is needed and it takes everyone to be ready on game day.

I think that the NFL had to do it the way they did by taking this as our bye week and yes it may hurt us but think of the fact that we had one more week to get Flacco ready for games. I just hope to GOD (the best Ravens Fan) that we do not pull a stupid stunt like the Viking Fans did and BOO our quarterback. That does not make your QB better folks it makes them give up ... Can you say YOUNG?

The simple fact is that a disaster took lives, destroyed homes and more and we only had to move a football game. We will get over it and so will the team.

Now FOCUS on beating the CLOWNS at HOME with our 12th MAN and FLACCO working together in a CONTROLLED ZONE to get us to 2-0. Then lets talk about getting to 3-0.

ONE GAME AT A TIME!!!

is your real name brian billick?!?!?!?!?!?

you just got me pumped as shit over here....GREAT post!!!!!well said my man.

9. Re: Is there a new mentality?

This just allows Cam Cameron to game plan more meticulously for the Brownie's game:D

Yet another reason to think Harbaugh will turn this thing around. I just hope he can sell this mentality to the players.

Ravens coach John Harbaugh said his team is ready to tackle one of the NFL's toughest roads ahead.

Because of the rescheduling caused by Hurricane Ike, the Ravens' Week10 bye was taken away and they will have to play five road games in a span of 35days.

"To be honest, we're looking forward to it," coach John Harbaugh said. "It's going to be an opportunity, and it's going to be a challenge. That'll be something we take on with relish and attack it with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind."

With no bye in the middle of the schedule, Harbaugh acknowledged that the team would scale back some practices and decrease work for some players to give them additional rest.

But Harbaugh doesn't want his players to focus on the big picture.

"We know we are going to play 4:15 Sunday against the Browns in Baltimore," Harbaugh said, "unless anybody has got any news of a hurricane rolling into the Northeast."

Hey bmorebirds_24,

Thanks for the complement! but no I am not Brian. I wish I was able to make millions to be on the field, however I am just a poor old Baltimore Boy who makes my Beer Money $5 at a time selling game day shirts at the Vault.

All I can think about right now is 2000!! We were the dogs with no respect just like we are now. I just want all fans to focus on the goal at the end of the season. Like a caller said to Coach last night on the radio show... The most important Bye Week is having no game in the wild card game!

Lets Go Flacco!!!! Go Ravens GET 7 !!!

"It is not how you play the game that matters... It is Winning The Super Bowl that counts"... Rumor Ray

Baltimore Has 10 Pro Football Championships!
    Baltimore Colts [NFL] in 1958, 1959, 1968, and 1970
    Baltimore Stars [USFL] in 1985
    Baltimore Stallions [CFL] in 1995
    Baltimore Ravens [NFL] in 2000 and 2012
    Baltimore Mariners [AIFA] in 2010
    Baltimore Mariners [AIF] in 2014

I don't think the mentality is "new" as much as the coach is.

This team has always been a defense-first, smashmouth running team since Billick arrived and I haven't seen that change at all yet. It's our bread and butter and the players in that sort of system have to be strong-minded and resolute to execute that sort of gameplan and make it work.

The only time I saw the team truly waver mentally was in 2005, where the lack of offensive performance finally poisoned the chemistry of the entire team to the point that the Detroit debacle happened. Let's hope we don't relive that period any time soon!

(Mind you, I was deployed overseas at the time, so my memory of that season may not be the most accurate.)