early AFC thoughts

yes, I know it's only two weeks, but here's some thoughts on the AFC so far.

EAST: if the j-e-t-s couldn't beat the p-a-t-s at home with qb not starting since high school etc..? Favre will help but I don't think they're that good yet. and we know the Dolphins are no good. Bills? they do look good. Buffalo might be the Next Big-time Team. Pats? even if Cassel costs them four games they finish 12-4? this time might be that good.

NORTH: ah, September. leaves change, kids back in school, Browns losing to the Steelers...both Ohio teams look like they've taken a step backward. Steelers could get a 1 seed by defaut. Ravens? rookie qb and brutal schedule...still could steal 2nd place.

SOUTH: brutal division. Titans have the NFL's best coach (outside of Foxboro) and throttled the Bengals in cinci wi their backup qb (Kerry Collins). Colts look a step slower but still very dangerous. Jax? must be the best 0-2 team on earth (this side of San Diego?) Houston was doomed even before all the hurricane distractions.

WEST: KC and Oakland are already discussing their next head coaches (Billick?). Chargers are a 9-win team with LT hurt. Broncos? Shanahan is like a mad scientist constantly reformulating the team. remember, his is one of only two AFC teams to beat the Pats in the playoffs in the Bilichek era.

Tom Brady's injury leaves the AFC wide open...if anyone can take advantage of it.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Re: early AFC thoughts

I agree with most of what you say; however, I'm going out on the limb here, but I think the Ravens are going to win the AFC North. The Stillers have a brutal schedule as well, but the Ravens have always matched up well against them - I think we edge them out, with the eventual winner being decided here at the Vault in December!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by ravenjoe View Post
    I agree with most of what you say; however, I'm going out on the limb here, but I think the Ravens are going to win the AFC North. The Stillers have a brutal schedule as well, but the Ravens have always matched up well against them - I think we edge them out, with the eventual winner being decided here at the Vault in December!
    hope so! the Squealers have only beaten a weak Houston team and an overated (and snake-bitten?) Brownies bunch in weather. the bye/road grade won't help, but considering the early injuries (KGregg, Fabw, Willis McG) it might be a help.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

East: I still see NE winning this Div, w/ Jets and Buffalo fighting for a WC.

South: Indy is still the class here and Vince Young getting hurt is actually good for Tenn...they score more w/ Collins at QB. I see Jax not making the playoffs this year after this start.

West: Denver has made their statement and has had some luck too, but if their DEF shows up at all they will win a lot of games. I see them winning the div or as a WC at worst..but they look like a playoff team to me. SD will get into the playoffs as well.

North: make no mistake, the Steelers are by far the class of the div and unless Cleveland wakes up, no other team has a shot to make the playoffs from this div. The Ravens will need a ton of luck to go 7-9.

FM

The Ravens defense will have to continue to play lights out for us to have a chance to go 8-8. Anything beyond that is gravy.

I wouldn't be surprised if our new-and-improved running game snuck us into the playoffs, however. November is gonna be a crucial month for us with the absence of our bye week!

With the loss of the bye week they now have this brutal stretch:

11/2 at Cleveland
    11/9 at Houston
    11/16 at NY Giants
    11/23 vs Philly
    11/30 at Cincy

Has any team in NFL history had to play 4 road games in 5 weeks?

FM

Quote Originally Posted by Fanman View Post
    North: make no mistake, the Steelers are by far the class of the div and unless Cleveland wakes up, no other team has a shot to make the playoffs from this div. The Ravens will need a ton of luck to go 7-9.
    FM
    We'll sync-up when December rolls around. I think our team will compete with the Stillers, make no mistake about it!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Fanman View Post
    With the loss of the bye week they now have this brutal stretch:

11/2 at Cleveland
    11/9 at Houston
    11/16 at NY Giants
    11/23 vs Philly
    11/30 at Cincy

Has any team in NFL history had to play 4 road games in 5 weeks?

FM
    Funny thing is i see them winning 3 of the road games without really much doubt. Cleveland, houston and cincy really only have a chance at home against each other or the dolphins and raiders.

a 3-2 record in that stretch would be wishful thinking IMO.

I am not drinking the purple kool-aid yet...after 1 win.

FM