1. OT:The NFL ought to take a look at the new turf

I don't know about anyone else, but I have noticed alot more knee injuries in the past few years since all NFL teams have been going over to the new turf..As I look at the replay of the season ending knee injury of Tom Brady, I really think this injury would never have happened if he was playing on real grass...His foot stuck into the turf when he was hit in the shin..I do believe that if this had been on natural grass, his foot would have moved backwards with the hit to his leg...I'm not a Brady fan, but I do think this has to be studied very thoroughly..I really don't recall so many knee injuries in the past, before the new turf:o

Re: OT:The NFL ought to take a look at the new turf

The "new" turf is 1000% better than the old Astroturf that was in use for what, 30 years.

Problem is simple. Athletes are heaver, more muscular, faster, stronger each year. Safeties are playing at the old LB weight, LBs at DL weight, etc. But the ol' joints and ligaments have not changed. They are being asked to withstand forces that are at the edge of collapse every game. One tweak and thar she blows. It's a fact of life in the NFL now...unless the player weights go back to 1990 levels.

Brady was hit on his knee with a helmet while he planted and threw. His injury would have happened on any grass field.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

3. Re: OT:The NFL ought to take a look at the new turf

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    The "new" turf is 1000% better than the old Astroturf that was in use for what, 30 years.

Problem is simple. Athletes are heaver, more muscular, faster, stronger each year. Safeties are playing at the old LB weight, LBs at DL weight, etc. But the ol' joints and ligaments have not changed. They are being asked to withstand forces that are at the edge of collapse every game. One tweak and thar she blows. It's a fact of life in the NFL now...unless the player weights go back to 1990 levels.

Brady was hit on his knee with a helmet while he planted and threw. His injury would have happened on any grass field.
    My bad:o

Liek CY said, the main reason KNee injuries happen, is that muscles are getting stronger at a rate that tendons cannot keep up with. The analogy I heard was of rubber bands(muscles) and paper clips(tendons).
    If you connect one rubber band on each side, with a paper clip in the middle and pull real hard, the rubber band will likely snap before the paper clip bends out of place. If you put 2 rubber bands on each side, the paper clip is likely to bend first. If you put three rubber bands on each side, the paper clip doesn't stand a chance.

5. Re: OT:The NFL ought to take a look at the new turf

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Liek CY said, the main reason KNee injuries happen, is that muscles are getting stronger at a rate that tendons cannot keep up with. The analogy I heard was of rubber bands(muscles) and paper clips(tendons).
    If you connect one rubber band on each side, with a paper clip in the middle and pull real hard, the rubber band will likely snap before the paper clip bends out of place. If you put 2 rubber bands on each side, the paper clip is likely to bend first. If you put three rubber bands on each side, the paper clip doesn't stand a chance.
    Players going down while running down the field has nothing to do with this theory....You think Brady is such a muscle head? However, I do agree with this theory when it comes to steroids;)

Quote Originally Posted by Tspot-D-Ravenator View Post
    Players going down while running down the field has nothing to do with this theory....You think Brady is such a muscle head? However, I do agree with this theory when it comes to steroids;)
    Brady is a muscle head as compared to when he was coming out of college. Look at side by side pictures, it's strinking. Very similar to Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens before and after photo's.

This has nothign to do with Brady's injury, as his foot was planted and he was bit lwo, it has more to do with WR, RB knee injuries where the foot is planted and they cut and tear their knee up. What used to be hamstring and Quad pulls are now ACL, PCL, and MCL tears.