Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Butt Kicked

Re: Butt Kicked

The whole "saving the playbook" excuse doesn't fly either. Billick looked so pissed off and now wants to play his starters longer because he was saving his good plays for Tampa?
    Billick was pissed for several reasons.

1. Officiating was terrible again.
    2. Mental mistakes like false starts and personal fouls.
    3. Missed opportunities - i.e. Stover's missed FG.
    4. Poor execution - The line protection breakdowns, poor route running, and bad decisions by his new QB are all completely independant of the plays being called. It shouldnt matter if the playbook was vanilla, his team should still execute well.
    5. Our $100m secondary looked like complete shit. Min was passing the ball on us at will and when our DBs did catch up they were whiffing on the tackles.

These are football basics that are being missed by his supposedly professional team. None of that has anything to do with "saving the playbook" and all of it is good reason for him to be pissed and for us to be afraid.

He is was also probably pissed because ultimately, the poor execution of the basics are 100% on HIS shoulders.

If I'm Billick, I play the starters the entire first half on Thursday as a penalty for the obvious sleepwalk job pulled last Friday. And I say "and you'll stay out there until I am satisfied that you can play like professionals".

Injuries? I would not let that enter into the thought process. Injuries can happen during camp, during scrimmages and during pickup basketball games.

I'm tired of seeing this team go out overconfident and lay eggs. Ever since that Oakland game in December 2003, we've been witness to some of the most uninspired flops in the last five years - including a season opening turd in Cleveland in '04; pretty much the entire '05 season against inferior opponents (Titans, Lions, Jets, Houston, Cleveland).

If you don't play with passion in this league, you don't win. The talent differential is simply too small.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

I understand what you're saying Mobtown, but I'm referring more to those making excuses for the team's performance by saying "it's only preseason", or "the playbook wasn't fully opened up", or "we would have won if the starters played the whole game".

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

I think most of us that are siding with punishing the starting unit for their laxidasical performance vs the Vikes.See it as a lesson to teach the players that this will not be tolerated in,practise,preaseason and of course regular season.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

The "it's only preseason" only applies to the score. The execution of your first team does count. They looked like shit.

Thumbs down Re: Butt Kicked

After Friday's game, how can everyone suddenly conclude that we're the same offense as last year?

Did everyone suddenly forget about our first 2 pre-season games? Did everyone forget that we moved the ball at will against a very potent Philly defense? At what point last year, could we move the ball, like we were doing against NYG & PHI??

This time last week, we were commenting on the difference McNair had made to this efficient offense. One bad half of offensive football, and suddenly "we are absolutely no better off than last year".

Seriously, c'mon.

I whistled past the graveyard this time last year. We looked like shit most of that preseason too. But hey, it's a veteran team and they don't need preseason to get ready. Right?

After Indy and Tennessee, the season was wrecked. They weren't ready.

I don't want to see a repeat. If you are going the play the game, play it right. Play the starters on Thursday for a half. They need it.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

We looked like shit most of that preseason too.
    Please explain to me how we've looked like shit, for MOST of this pre-season?

Lance you misread Camden. He said that season and was referring to last year.

I think everyone agrees that we looked damn good against the Giants and Eagles. Maybe laying an egg in Minny was good for the fans in the sense that its tempering expectations. And it lets the players know that if they want to win on the road a performance like that won't get it done in the NFL.

Lance you misread Camden. He said that season and was referring to last year.
    He was referring to them both. He said, "We looked like shit most of that preseason TOO."

TOO, meaning also, or in addition to. "We looked like shit last season also." And I assume that also, would be referring to THIS current preseason. If he finished his sentence it would have read something to the effect of, "We looked like shit most of that preseason, just as we have this preseason."

Sorry to get technical, but camden (as well as many others) are indeed implying that it's the same story as last year. "We look horrible in pre-season, and it will translate to regular season." Truth is, we haven't looked horrible at all in the pre-season. Our offense had one bad half of football. Aside from that, we've looked like a much different team than last year.

Quote Originally Posted by lance1086
    Please explain to me how we've looked like shit, for MOST of this pre-season?
    Being as how the 1st team offense has only managed 1 touchdown, including being shut out for an entire half - I wouldn't say they have played well. Not to mention the horrible red zone play and terrible 2-minute drill. Then you have the boneheaded penalties that extended drives for the opponent in the Philly game, and the fact that this team continues to sleepwalk through road games.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

We had one TD drive that could have very well ended with a pick on the long attempt to Mason. Other than that we have fizzled out on sustained drives in game 2 and not gotten much at all going in game 3. That is one good drive that we got a break on, a few nice drives that ended with FG attempts and a lot of stalled drives. And it has been getting worse, not better.

I think a fan of this team should be concerned and want to see some good shit this Thursday.