Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Butt Kicked

Re: Butt Kicked

Preseason or just playing a game in a carpark.You play 110% all out,to get the win.

Do the coaches say,"Ok guys take it easy out there,don't get injured."No.
    I definitely think you are wrong about that. I don't believe for a second that players go 110% in the preseason, I doubt that most of the big name players go even 80%. In one of the articles on this site I read, there was a comment about McAlister not looking like he wanted to be there, and I don't doubt that he didn't. What does this game mean to him, he's not fighting for a roster spot nor will he get benched if he gives up a big play. I don't know that the coaches say "take it easy out there" but I am pretty sure they'd rather escape unscathed and with a L than with a couple injuries and a W.
    ''You'd love to go on the first day but I'm glad for the situation I'm in,'' he said. ''Baltimore knows how to play defense.''

Pat Williams absolutely owned Vincent and Flynn.

Whoever lined up against Pashos kicked his ass.

And Terry struggled against thier backups.

It was reminiscent of the Titans game last year where thier DLine just abused our OLine.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn
    Pat Williams absolutely owned Vincent and Flynn.

Whoever lined up against Pashos kicked his ass.

And Terry struggled against thier backups.

It was reminiscent of the Titans game last year where thier DLine just abused our OLine.
    Rack That

Mac lasts two games if the right side continues to play like that.

To RavenTD:

I respect your passion for winning but "it was only preseason" is a totally valid argument. As ugly as the game was...it still doesnt count. Would you have prefered that we shot our proverbial wad against Min in a game that ultimately means nothing? OR, would you rather see us take our lumps in the pre-season and actually have something interesting and effective to show in TB? Please keep in mind that the TB defense is practically a clone of what we faced last night. Had we showed our hand even a little bit then we would only be hurting ourselves come Week 1...when the Ws and Ls actually mean something.

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

Mob, yeah I even heard Suggs say "Its only preseason," in an interview when they asked him about the defense allowing points on opening drives the last two games.

I hope you are right and the team starts off like gangbusters vs Tampa Bay.
    I still think by setting this tone it will carryover into the first few games of regular season.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

I hope you are right and the team starts off like gangbusters vs Tampa Bay.
    I am not saying they will, but the chances are better when the other team hasn't seen your playbook.

I still think by setting this tone it will carryover into the first few games of regular season.
    Setting a tone goes both ways. Our team may look at this as reality check. Ask Tony Dungee, Indy lost all 4 games last pre-season.

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

What I'm afraid of Mob,is a guy with Sugg's outlook saying its only preseason.
    And then saying its only week one,its only week two,its a long season.

When the Ravens get in a mental funk,they seem to sink real deep as a team.And haven't got the firepower offensively to dig themself out of that rut.

Its frustrating to see the team come out looking like they have taken a step backwards in week 3 of preseason.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

What I'm afraid of Mob,is a guy with Sugg's outlook saying its only preseason.
    And then saying its only week one,its only week two,its a long season.

I hear that, but it hasn't happend yet and these guys haven't even played a full 60 minute game yet.

It simply too early for any of us to start getting bent out of shape.

If the offense keeps up like last night, Ray Lewis is going to get his panties in a wad again and bring the defense down, too.

Frankly, the coaches have some serious work cut out for them then next three weeks.

I'm with MOBTOWN on the preseason bit. I've been saying that on the other boards. Billick wasn't going to show his hand and wasn't going to do much anyway in a pre-season game.
    Maybe, but if that's true, Billick deserves an Oscar for his acting performance - he looked way more than perturbed. He looked royally p*ssed off.

And what consolation is it if we didn't run the plays we were saving for the Tampa game? We still should've been able to execute the plays we did run far more successfully.

But it was only preseason.
    I normally roll with this excuse through week 2 of pre-season. Friday night's game was the main indicator of where we are and how capable we are of executing, all be it vanilla, plays. This time last year, following repeated O-line failures and piss poor offense, 'it's only pre-season' was banded around frequently. If you don't play hard in pre-season, you can't expect to be in the required shape, mentally and physically, to go to Tampa and play like you should. Even if Fassel is keeping things simple, there is no excuse for the ineptitude of the O-line. If they're getting beaten this badly in pre-season, why would we expect them to be able to stop the top D-linemen in the league when it counts?

Minnesota were also only playing a pre-season game on Friday, but did so with professionalism, determination and execution. The fact that we didn't, again on the road, has to be cause for concern.

Quote Originally Posted by TRAP
    I'm with MOBTOWN on the preseason bit. I've been saying that on the other boards. Billick wasn't going to show his hand and wasn't going to do much anyway in a pre-season game. As someone posted on the game thread, it looked like they were playing not to get hurt. But it was only preseason. We just kicked their butts here a few months ago and knocked them out of a PO spot in a regular season game.
    Sorry, but I don't agree with any of this. I'm sick of the "it's only preseason" excuses. This team has shown nothing to indicate they are ready for the opener in Tampa. The whole "saving the playbook" excuse doesn't fly either. Billick looked so pissed off and now wants to play his starters longer because he was saving his good plays for Tampa?

Quote Originally Posted by losac
    Billick looked so pissed off and now wants to play his starters longer because he was saving his good plays for Tampa?
    That's BRILLIANT Billick logic. Wait until the games count to start testing plays instead of in pre-season where you're able to test them, work out all the kinks, etc.

BRILLIANT I tell you, BRILLIANT.