Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Game will NOT be in Houston's Reliant Stad

Good thing Houston didn't bet the farm on that 5% chance the game wouldn't be played in Reliant on Monday.

Christ, all you had to know was a Cat3 the size of Texas with a 60-mile wide eyewall had the city in dead aim and I knew it was going to be a problem. Any idiot could see it.

Any idiot could figure out that most of the Texan's customers were going to be in difficulty after this storm, and a football game wasn't going to be foremost in their planning process.

Question is, why didn't the stupid NFL figure that out?

This could seriously mess up our whole season.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

2. Re: Game will NOT be in Houston's Reliant Stad

It is what it is. That's life I guess.

This is really shitty but the Ravens have to suck it up. Not the first time they have faced a challenge like this and not the last time.

The NFL is stupid and they have NO RIGHT to take away the Ravens bye week on Nov. 9th. It is not our fault they had a hurricane in Texas. I stated in my previous posts of eliminating all risk and moving it to another venue. Why couldn't the powers to be see that? This could ruin our whole season. Teams depend on a mid season bye week, not a bye week that is the second week of the season. Now the Ravens must play for 15 consecutive weeks. That is not fair and everyone should email the Commissioner and tell him so.

It turns out, the game *will* be played in Reliant Stadium.

edit: I know many here rip Drew Forrester, but he presents a pretty compelling argument that this was the right decision in his blog.
    Last edited by festivus; 09-13-2008 at 09:51 PM.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

... and I think it ought to be noted that those of you who think the NFL royally fucked up and not the local decision makers in Houston, you all have some great company ....

His name is Mike Preston.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/spor...correctly.html
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

The NFL is stupid and they have NO RIGHT to take away the Ravens bye week on Nov. 9th. It is not our fault they had a hurricane in Texas.
    I'm sorry, I am kind of ticked we have no game this week and that we lose our mid-season bye, but there are hundreds of thousands of people right now that have several feet of water in their homes. This take just came off kind of petty while I was thinking about that. Just sayin'.

This might be a good thing, let's give Flacco lots of tape on the Clowns to get ready for next week and give any of our ailing players some time to heal now like Fabian Washington. It isn't like this is a bad time for our bye.

Consider that 6 teams have a bye in Week 4 too. Thats 13 straight games for those teams. It's not like what we are going to have to do is entirely unreasonable.

The entire situation was botched by the NFL. It's their league, they make the final decision. But it's not the end of the world.
    ''You'd love to go on the first day but I'm glad for the situation I'm in,'' he said. ''Baltimore knows how to play defense.''

Quote Originally Posted by BertJonesMyHero View Post
    It is what it is. That's life I guess.
    That is true Bert,
    And it's also the heart of the problem. Guess some "Texas idiots" are smarter than others. The University of Houston moved their game w/ Air Force to AM Saturday in Dallas. Guess they felt a stronger sense of responsibility to their conference than the Texans ownership does to the NFL not to pooch the entire schedule.

While I understand perfectly the impetus to retain a home game, it should not extend to the point of corrupting the entire schedule. The onus should be placed on team ownership to do everything they can to preserve the schedule - i.e. - Astrodome Sun or Mon, New Orleans Sun or Mon, Miami Sun or Mon, Atlanta Sun or Mon. 9/11 was not allowed to corrupt the schedule - do not understand why Bob McNair is allowed to protect his personal gold mine at the expense of several other franchises. What is Godall's problem? McNair's choices should have been - make arrangements for a new local site to play no later than Monday evening, move the game to another open NFL venue or suffer a forfeit. JMHO.
    Last edited by paulie; 09-15-2008 at 11:59 AM.
    If you ain't the lead dog,
    don't complain about the view . . .

Money-grubbing bastard has just put our nads in a twist!

15 straight weeks of football does not bode well for our rookie QB unless our O-line can somehow remain healthy...

UNLEASH THE BEASTS!!!!

Perhaps they didn't move the game to another venue on Sunday or Monday was that the airports in Houston were closed and the team couldn't get out. The players and the rest of the city have much more important things to deal with than worry about this game.

Greg, I thought the same thing about that post.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello