Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Houston Chronicle Reports

Houston Chronicle reports major damage to Reliant Stadium, says "game is off." More details to come at WNST.net...

Didn't know if anyone had heard anything different...

I think they just should have moved the game somewhere else from the start.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the residents affected by Hurricane Ike.
    Season Ticket Holder Since 1996 Sec 545

Re: Houston Chronicle Reports

I was just about to post the same thing. Aaron Wilson is on and talking about how the Ravens now have to focus on next week and the Browns.
    Pffffff! I trust wikipedia more than the NFL. If anyone would know football, it is clearly wikipedia.
    -xmradiodave 9/13/08

I just don't understand why the NFL couldn't move the game to another "Non Hurricane Affected" city.

I think the NFL dropped the ball on this one.

From WBAL.com:

Report: Ravens Game Won't Be Played In Houston Due To Storm Damage
    Saturday, September 13, 2008
    WBAL Radio as reported by Robert Lang

The Ravens and Texans are going to have to find another place to play their game Monday night, because of Hurricane Ike.

The Houston Chronicle is reporting on its website that the storm has damaged Reliant Stadium making it "unsuitable" to hold a game there.

The stadium had been used as a dispatch center for emergency responders this morning.

"The facility will not be usable," said Shey Guinn, president of SMG, the company that manages Reliant Park.

"There's some structural damage to the roof. Part of it is off," Guinn told the newspaper.

There is no immediate comment from the Ravens.

Ravens spokesman Chad Steele told WBAL News earlier today that the NFL has scheduled a conference call for 4 p.m. today to determine where and when the game will be played.

The league had moved the game from Sunday afternoon to Monday night, due to the storm.

The Texans have their bye week on October 26. The Ravens' bye week is November 9.

The league must decide whether to change the team's schedule, or move the game to another location.
    Pffffff! I trust wikipedia more than the NFL. If anyone would know football, it is clearly wikipedia.
    -xmradiodave 9/13/08

5. Re: Houston Chronicle Reports

You know how they say football is better then baseball, (ie a sissy sport...etc) well the Atros are thinking about playing!

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Minute Maid Park didnt sustain any damage.....its just a chance the NFL took and reliant stadium just happened to be damaged......

We will see if the cubs and astros play this weekend though....
    Season ticket holder since 1996 Section 148 Tailgate Lot H
    See my photos and video at www.bmoreravens.com

Harris County told the league that Reliant could withstand the storm.

I'd put more blame on the Harris County folks on this one.

If Rita caused the damage that I've read in certain parts that it did, in terms of tearing parts of the roof off, then why did folks think that it would stand up to Ike with the severity of the storm that was being projected? I realise there's no certainties with forecasting hurricanes, but with the precedence of that stadium to storms of this category then whoever said the stadium would be fine was either short sighted, ignorant or living in the hope that the storm would turn off south again so that the Houston-Galveston area would bear the brunt, either way, poor planning on someone's part.

Better yet, in the face of what was coming and what was forecast, why in hell did the NFL not just play it safe and move the game out of the path of the storm? Most people I talked to were saying the same thing I was: That there was too much of a risk to believe that all would be well on Monday. Rescheduling for Monday in the affected city of Houston was backing yourself into a corner, and taking too much of a risk on a scheduling problem. It was just stupidity on the NFL's part, especially when there were reasonable alternatives available.

Does anyone still think the game could still be played in another city? I guess that I'm just wishing some how some way the game will still be played.

The game is going to be played. Just because it was cancelled, doesnt mean it's cancelled for good.

I am willing to bet they will adjust the bye weeks so they can play at that time. Of course, I was also willing to bet they would play Monday night.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    The game is going to be played. Just because it was cancelled, doesnt mean it's cancelled for good.

I am willing to bet they will adjust the bye weeks so they can play at that time. Of course, I was also willing to bet they would play Monday night.
    I was hoping for sometime Monday...I like your suggestion for the Astrodome. I'm hanging on to any thread that the game will still be played this week and not mess with our bye week.

Also glad to see that your still hanging in there.

It definitely sounds like the NFL is considering playing the game Monday somewhere. There has been no official word except that the game won't be played at Reliant. Other than that, nothing else is official yet.