Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's wrong with the Bengals?

They played fairly similar games the first 2 weeks and lost by roughly the same formula:
    1. Get behind
    2. Allow the other team to grind you down with their running game

I don't have the participation by play for week 2 against the Titans, but in week 1, they asked their 2 defensive tackles to shoulder an astounding burden. Specifically, Domata Peko played 90% of the snaps and John Thornton 87%.

By comparison, last season, Haloti Ngata turned in an iron man season with 75% of snaps for the Ravens (Gregg was 2nd at 67%). Gregg led the '06 Ravens defense at 61%. In 2000 Adams played 63.5% of the snaps and Siragusa 52% (so it's not like Marvin Lewis is not familiar with rotating linemen).

I don't honestly think it matters how bad their backups are, the Bengals will continue to get run over until they rotate more on the defensive line.

Re: What's wrong with the Bengals?

What's wrong with the Bengals?
    They suck

That whole franchise is steeped in losing. Until Brown dies or gives up control to a real football person they're going to continue to suck.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

I don't know but Carson Palmer is killing my fantasy team! Marvin will get fired for sure.
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Bez513 View Post
    I don't know but Carson Palmer is killing my fantasy team!
    :) Not the first time today I heard that. That's why I don't play fantasy football. You end up with freaking BENGALS on your team. :grbac:
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bez513 View Post
    Marvin will get fired for sure.
    For the Bengals it's playoffs or bust. Marvin Lewis needs a 10 win season to secure his job and right now that's not going to happen unless something big changes.

I'm genuinely surprised at how poorly the Bengals have played, especially at their home opener. I thought they'd bounce back in the second game, but evidently they are worse than I thought. I'm not surprised that their defense is bad, because it has been for years, but they've been pitiful on offense, and I sure didn't expect that.

what we see on the field is a fraction of what goes on with a team. ever see those coaches running around screaming and giving orders? wow, look at that guy coaching! they usually lose. remember Bud Grant and Tom Landry standing there half-bored? they did their coaching on tuesday/wednesday. looks to me like the Bengals aren't losing on Sunday, they're losing before the game even starts. I've watched both games and as soon as they get a bad break they start looking around--'now what?'.
    I despise Jimmy 'Little Weasel' Irsay, but I give him credit for giving up on running his team, and turning it over to real football people (Jim Mora, Bill Polian). Brown needs to do the same.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

I honestly think one of this team's biggest problems is they have no leadership. From the HC on down, there is nobody there that seems to step up when the chips are down. Everytime I see this team all I see is infighting. Things go bad Ocho Poopo is crying about not getting the ball, Whoseyatowelhead is upset because somebody is holding him, and Palmer no matter how bad he gets embarrassed is telling reporters that even though they lost they really are the better team. Which is why I tell everyone the O's really were the best team of the last decade, we just caught some bad breaks.:D The bottom line is they are a team full of whiners and excuse makers, and until they bring in some stand up leadership it's not gonna change.
    Section 517 since 2001!!!! Real fans sit real high!!!![

Who are the Bengals backups??

We have benefitted for years with having solid rotational DLinemen to take the load off the starters. Maake Kemoeatu, Lionel Dalton, Aubrayo Franklin, Keith Washington. Most of these guys went on to be starters on other teams, but we had them coming off the bench. Justin Bannan (and even Dwan Edwards) would be a starter on most teams --- huge unsung hero's for us.

So many people say they're surprised at what's going on with the Bengals. I'm not surprised at all.

First off, what exactly has changed on the defense in the last couple years? They occasionally draft a first rounder for the D, and they occasionally get a good one when they do (Joseph comes to mind), but a lot of them they wind up losing to injury or thuggary. Their D has sucked for years, they were 24th in pts allowed and 27th in yards allowed last year and there was nothing done in the off-season to make me think it would get any better.

On offense, look at Carson Palmer's last few years:
    http://www.nfl.com/players/carsonpal...e?id=PAL249055
    His TD:INT ratio has declined each year since the '05 season. He's become less efficient, throwing more passes. This coincides with two things...
    1) His ACL tear - Done in the '05 Pittsburgh loss. He hasn't been the same since.
    2) His OL getting worse - They've lost a lot of talent on that OL the last couple years, and it's had an impact on him.

I don't expect him to continue having the year he's having right now. The Ravens and Titans are two excellent defensive teams, and they're off to a slow start. But I also don't expect he'll be better this year than he was last.

- C -

1. Mike Brown
    2. No scouts
    3. uniforms look like prison team colors

The Bungles are who we thought they were, this time we did not let them off the hook. We crowned thier ass.

The thing with the Bungles is the defense was terrible last year and they let the best 3 players leave via free agency. Deltha O'Neal really could have helped them, so could Willy Anderson and Rudi Johnson. Perry can not block, Andrews is not a good RT and the center is terrible. They tried to make a TE a FB and they can not run, pass block or play defense. Other than that they are a freak show circus off the feild with the FBi and sherrif department staking out the player parking lot.