Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

We Could Lose Pashos In FA

On 1300AM yesterday, Mark, the Bulldog, and Marques Ogden talked about the lack of talent available via FA for OL. Either the available OL will be old or not very good. Tony Pashos could actually command top dollar in the open market. Hopefully we can extend Pashos before he hits the market, but remember that we surprisingly lost Kemo, because the Panthers unexpectedly offered an insane contract. This could happen to us againonly this time with Pashos.

Hope I am wrong.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Re: We Could Lose Pashos In FA

just a few months ago seems like everyone was wishing he'd leave so we could put Terry or someone in. the O-line has definitely upgraded its rep this season. losing FAs is one of the costs of success. Develop soon, Adam Terry!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sailorsam View Post
    just a few months ago seems like everyone was wishing he'd leave so we could put Terry or someone in. the O-line has definitely upgraded its rep this season. losing FAs is one of the costs of success. Develop soon, Adam Terry!!!
    In addition, folks were throwing Ovie Mughelli under the bus (myself included). Goes to show that if our FO and coaches are willing to stick with a guy, there must be something there.

Pashos mentioned on Anita Marks that he wants to stay. If he is offered a fair deal, he will re-sign before the FA. If he hits that market (same for Mughelli) they are gone. A lot of teams have money to spend. We must lock these guys up before March 1, the start of FA.

Sidenote: the emergence of Pashos and Mughelli really bumps up the grade of the 2003 draft.

Blog Entries

I say we give him a strong, 3 year deal.

Pashos has been great, but he's no franchise tackle. I think we should keep our eye open in the draft for a RT to replace Pashos down the line.

But yes, let's re-sign Pashos and Mughelli now. I would include AD, but with him making the Pro Bowl and determined to test the market, I think he'll be gone next year
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I say we give him a strong, 3 year deal.

Pashos has been great, but he's no franchise tackle. I think we should keep our eye open in the draft for a RT to replace Pashos down the line.

But yes, let's re-sign Pashos and Mughelli now. I would include AD, but with him making the Pro Bowl and determined to test the market, I think he'll be gone next year
    I think Pashos will accept a 3 year deal with a $5M signing bonus from us.

As for Mughelli, I'd offer a 3 or 4 year deal with a $5M bonus. I think Mughelli accepts that as well, then I would re-sign Jarrett Johnson who is extremely underrated by us fans and is still young at 25yoa. He has the versatility to play AD-quese. Before anyone laughs, I can remember folks thinking we'd suffer when Ed Hartwell replaced Jamie Sharper. Folks also pannicked when someone named Bart Scott replaced Ed Hartwell.

Mughelli, Pashos, and Jarrett Johnson should and I believe will be re-signed as we know Ozzie always works to retain "our own" before signing others. I think our FO is resigned to losing AD with using Johnson in replace of AD.
    Last edited by PurpleRulz; 12-22-2006 at 11:52 AM.

Blog Entries

don't forget Cody, who we're looking to have step up and really find his niche.

He just needs to stop getting injured.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

I think our FO is resigned to losing AD with using Johnson in replace of AD.
    I'm thinking that too. And that is a damn shame because AD really is a special kind of player.

If Ozzie doesn't even take a shot at him, then he should just:

Johnson just isn't as versatile, so its a shame if that plays out because they think he's replaceable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephy View Post
    Johnson just isn't as versatile, so its a shame if that plays out because they think he's replaceable.

Johnson can't play safety, but with Derrick Martin being groomed for safety, JJ won't have to play safety. JJ has played all the DL positions and now the LB positions. We also have Dan Cody.

Who cares about derrick martin.

Do you not realize we have reed and landry at safety?

AD played safety for a few plays not like entire games or anything. I love AD and the Ravens of course but I think his playing safety has reached mythological proportions.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

We don't have that much in SALARY committed to JO next year. If he retires we only save the salary and any bonus not counted for gets accelerated into 2007 and 2008. Marcus would know better than I would, but if we win it all I think most of the guys under contract would come back for another shot and then retire.

Next year's cap number isn't the issue with AD, you can structure the deal to put the cap hit off for a year or two. The question is the cap hit down the road.

I think we have a decent shot at keeping AD.