Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens Game Rescheduled

Contacting ESPN to try and get the game on is like contacting ESPN to try and get American Idol on.

CBS has the rights to the game, not ESPN. ESPN has rights to specific games, not a monopoly on games that are played on Monday night.

IF ESPN were to show the game, they would have to get permission from (1) the league and (2) CBS.

Might as well send a letter to American Airlines, complaining about the food at McDonalds -- same result.

Houston is right -- this is a CBS game, not ESPN. ESPN has the MNF games, but this wasn't supposed to be on Monday night, so it's out of ESPN's hands.

I'm beginning to wonder if this game will even take place on Monday night.

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    Houston is right -- this is a CBS game, not ESPN. ESPN has the MNF games, but this wasn't supposed to be on Monday night, so it's out of ESPN's hands.

I'm beginning to wonder if this game will even take place on Monday night.
    ESPN have the exclusive rights to MNF - they also have the power to waive that right. They have to give permission to CBS/DirectTV to allow them to show the game nationally (via Sunday ticket). They have chosen not to do this because they feel they will lose viewers and it will probably piss off their advertisers.

I'd like to see them allow it as a gesture of goodwill to out of town fans in these fairly unique circumstances.

FPR, I am sorry but that's just flat out wrong.

The league sells it as a package of games to the various networks, not who gets games on what day. ESPN has the rights to the GAMES that were designated as Monday night games, NOT any games that happen to fall on Monday night.

If you were right, CBS would have to pack up all their crap (which is already there) and ESPN can wave a wand and make the game theirs. How many trucks, cameras, etc do you think ESPN has in Houston right now? Zero.

There is no right for ESPN to waive since CBS has the rights to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    FPR, I am sorry but that's just flat out wrong.

The league sells it as a package of games to the various networks, not who gets games on what day. ESPN has the rights to the GAMES that were designated as Monday night games, NOT any games that happen to fall on Monday night.

If you were right, CBS would have to pack up all their crap (which is already there) and ESPN can wave a wand and make the game theirs. How many trucks, cameras, etc do you think ESPN has in Houston right now? Zero.

There is no right for ESPN to waive since CBS has the rights to the game.

ESPN owns the rights to exclusively air Monday night primetime games. Should ESPN waive that right the Ticket and Direct TV could air the game.

Quote Originally Posted by section553 View Post
    ESPN owns the rights to exclusively air Monday night primetime games. Should ESPN waive that right the Ticket and Direct TV could air the game.
    Agreed.

But why? They have a winner with the Dallas v. Philly game. Even here in Houston, people will want to see that game over the Texans v. Ravens. It's ratings suicide to compete against themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Agreed.

But why? They have a winner with the Dallas v. Philly game. Even here in Houston, people will want to see that game over the Texans v. Ravens. It's ratings suicide to compete against themselves.
    So if you agree then I'm not flat out wrong, as that's exactly what I was saying.

I was NOT saying ESPN can show the game. I was saying that ESPN has the power to allow OTHERS to show the game.

As you say, most neutrals will watch ESPN anyway, so they'd only lose Ravens and Texans fans to DirectTV, most of whom they are pissing off anyway by not allowing CBS to broadcast it nationally on Sunday Ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by FellsPointRaven View Post
    So if you agree then I'm not flat out wrong, as that's exactly what I was saying.

I was NOT saying ESPN can show the game. I was saying that ESPN has the power to allow OTHERS to show the game.

As you say, most neutrals will watch ESPN anyway, so they'd only lose Ravens and Texans fans to DirectTV, most of whom they are pissing off anyway by not allowing CBS to broadcast it nationally on Sunday Ticket.
    Gotcha ... my bad for the misread. ;)

Un-effin-real.

Really, I understand that they have advertisers to make happy, but come on, wouldn't getting TWO sets of fans/advertisers be better?

I'm heading to Vegas with my beau on Sunday and one of our plans was to watch the game in a sports book. Needless to say, unless ESPN has a change of heart, which I seriously doubt, we won't be seeing the game at all.

B@stards!

There is NO chance this game is played in Houston Monday night. I cant believe the NFL has not moved this game to a neutral location already. There is going to be catastrophig damage in that area, and even if Reliant Stadium is OK it would be a complete disaster hosting an NFL game in that area that soon.

There is NO chance this game is played in Houston Monday night. I cant believe the NFL has not moved this game to a neutral location already. There is going to be catastrophig damage in that area, and even if Reliant Stadium is OK it would be a complete disaster hosting an NFL game in that area that soon.
    There is a chance it will be played there, but I agree wholeheartedly with the poster's sentiment. In my opinion, it is irresponsible for the NFL to schedule this game in Houston on Monday. They surely draw from a wide area in south Texas, including Galveston - an area that is going to be hurt bad. People are going to be picking up their lives this week, not worrying about football.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012