Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 77
  1. #46

    Re: Mon night game??



    Maybe I'm getting the wrong information from the news media today (now THAT would be a first! )...

    They keep mentioning the storm and Houston almost in the same breath. Believe me, I'm the LAST person who would want H-Town to be harmed by Ike. But I know several meteorologists personally and they readily admit that much of their job involves speculation.

    I wouldn't take any chances, especially given the recent history of the Gulf Coast, based on the "educated guess" of someone who doesn't have God-like powers of precognition.




  2. #47

    Re: Mon night game??

    I heard this at lunch today third-hand, but from a reliable source, so take it for what it's worth.

    He said a friend of his that works at the Vault told him that the game would be played in Baltimore, apparently on Sunday. When I told him I thought that was unlikely for a variety of reasons, he said his friend was certain. He even mentioned the alternatives, which were moving the game to Tuesday night, or moving it to Indy (!). They ruled out Indy because on such late notice, they wouldn't be ready to handle it, staffing-wise. I don't know why they ruled out Tuesday.

    I'm still skeptical, but he seemed awfully sure.




  3. #48
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hanover, PA
    Posts
    51

    Re: Mon night game??

    Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    I heard this at lunch today third-hand, but from a reliable source, so take it for what it's worth.

    He said a friend of his that works at the Vault told him that the game would be played in Baltimore, apparently on Sunday. When I told him I thought that was unlikely for a variety of reasons, he said his friend was certain. He even mentioned the alternatives, which were moving the game to Tuesday night, or moving it to Indy (!). They ruled out Indy because on such late notice, they wouldn't be ready to handle it, staffing-wise. I don't know why they ruled out Tuesday.

    I'm still skeptical, but he seemed awfully sure.


    Wow I'd be shocked, but I wouldn't complain
    Section 517 since 2001!!!! Real fans sit real high!!!![




  4. #49
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,500

    Re: Mon night game??

    Quote Originally Posted by RAVENOUS52 View Post
    Maybe I'm getting the wrong information from the news media today (now THAT would be a first! )...

    They keep mentioning the storm and Houston almost in the same breath. Believe me, I'm the LAST person who would want H-Town to be harmed by Ike. But I know several meteorologists personally and they readily admit that much of their job involves speculation.

    I wouldn't take any chances, especially given the recent history of the Gulf Coast, based on the "educated guess" of someone who doesn't have God-like powers of precognition.
    You're not the first to say it.

    Houston is going to get hit -- that's without a doubt.

    My family keeps calling me and saying what the reports are in Baltimore but they dont jive with whats on the local news here.

    I hear you about the powers that be though. I dont doubt in the least they will piss on my leg and tell me its a hurricane.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  5. #50
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,500

    Re: Mon night game??

    Official word on the game will come in 20 minutes ....
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  6. #51
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hanover, PA
    Posts
    51

    Re: Mon night game??

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Official word on the game will come in 20 minutes ....
    Who is holding the press conference? The NFL? The Texans?
    Section 517 since 2001!!!! Real fans sit real high!!!![




  7. #52
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,500

    Re: Mon night game??

    Dunno.

    The sports stations here are saying its coming -- didnt say who was making it. I would assume it is collaborative.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  8. #53
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hanover, PA
    Posts
    51

    Re: Mon night game??

    Any word yet?? I'm listening to ESPN 1300 and haven't heard a thing yet.
    Section 517 since 2001!!!! Real fans sit real high!!!![




  9. #54
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,500

    Re: Mon night game??

    Got pushed back ..... dont know a time now.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  10. #55
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hanover, PA
    Posts
    51

    Re: Mon night game??

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Got pushed back ..... dont know a time now.
    The press conference?
    Section 517 since 2001!!!! Real fans sit real high!!!![




  11. #56
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,500

    Re: Mon night game??

    From the Texans web site ....

    With the Texas coast now under a hurricane watch as Hurricane Ike moves through the Gulf of Mexico, speculation abounds as to how the storm will affect the Texans’ home opener scheduled for Sunday at 3:15 p.m. CST against the Baltimore Ravens.

    Expected to make landfall on the Texas coast sometime Friday night through early Saturday morning, Ike is currently a Category 2 storm with winds up to 100 mph. The storm is currently located about 720 miles east of Brownsville, Texas, moving northwest at 8 mph, and is expected to strengthen and develop into a major hurricane within the next day or two. It recently turned slightly north, moving its projected landfall closer toward Houston.

    Questions have been raised by the media and fans as to whether the game will move to another city, another time or another day (ie, Monday night).

    Here are selected post-practice quotes from the Texans, recorded before Ike turned north this afternoon, about the threat of the storm:

    Owner Bob McNair
    (on the team’s plan for Hurricane Ike) “If y’all can tell us where it’s going to come ashore and when, we’ll tell you what the plan is. But we don’t know that. The most likely thing is it will go somewhere else rather than come right here. The probability is it will go somewhere else. We have no way of knowing. They have options. Our people work on it with the league. And as soon as we get a better fix on where it might come ashore and when, then we can speak more intelligently as to what we might do. Right now, we are playing here Sunday afternoon.”

    (on if there is a deadline for that decision) “I’m sure there is but I can’t tell you exactly when that might be. It’s just one of those things that right now, no one has an answer because no one knows what the facts will be.”

    (on how critical it is to make the right decision) “We want to do something that makes sense for our team and for our fans. The thing that makes the most sense is to play here. So, we will play here unless we are forced to do something else.”

    Head coach Gary Kubiak
    (on anything new on the weather situation) “No, the bottom line is we are still monitoring the situation along with the league and expecting to play here and for everything to be OK. Now, I’m sure that could change any time but that answer is between (general manager) Rick (Smith) and the league. We’re preparing as if (the game) is going to be here and everything is going to be OK.

    (on if there is a “Plan B” in place) “I know they are talking about a ‘Plan B.’ To sit and here say what that is, I’m not really sure. But I know it’s something they have to talk about in case they get to the point where they think we have to do something. But right now, the plan is to be here.”

    C Chris Myers (a native of Miami)
    (on the potential hurricane threat) “Those are all just distractions. I was born and raised in Miami, so I’m used to all of those hurricane distractions. We’ve just got to go in there and practice day-to-day, and if something comes through, we’ll work with it…

    “You don’t even worry about the hurricane. Once you get on the practice field, you’re not thinking about hurricanes. You’re not thinking about anything. You’re just going out there and practicing and doing what you know. As of now, we’re just going out there and focusing on Baltimore.”

    It has been speculated that, if the game is held in Houston as scheduled, the Baltimore Ravens may have to fly in on Friday instead of Saturday to avoid the storm.

    Ravens head coach John Harbaugh addressed that speculation on Wednesday when speaking with the Houston media:

    (on possibly having to arrive in Houston on Friday) “We’ve got guys working on that. Our team president, Dick Cass, is working with the Texans and with the league. Our travel people are obviously working hard on that. As a football team, we’re practicing and preparing for a really good Houston Texans club. Whenever they tell us we’ve got to get on the plane and travel and wherever we have to go, then that’s what we’ll do.”

    (on how he keeps his players from talking about the hurricane and focusing on the game) “We’ve got a tough opponent. That’s hurricane enough to get ready for. So, I’m pretty sure our guys are focused on that.”
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  12. #57
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hanover, PA
    Posts
    51

    Re: Mon night game??

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    From the Texans web site ....

    With the Texas coast now under a hurricane watch as Hurricane Ike moves through the Gulf of Mexico, speculation abounds as to how the storm will affect the Texans’ home opener scheduled for Sunday at 3:15 p.m. CST against the Baltimore Ravens.

    Expected to make landfall on the Texas coast sometime Friday night through early Saturday morning, Ike is currently a Category 2 storm with winds up to 100 mph. The storm is currently located about 720 miles east of Brownsville, Texas, moving northwest at 8 mph, and is expected to strengthen and develop into a major hurricane within the next day or two. It recently turned slightly north, moving its projected landfall closer toward Houston.

    Questions have been raised by the media and fans as to whether the game will move to another city, another time or another day (ie, Monday night).

    Here are selected post-practice quotes from the Texans, recorded before Ike turned north this afternoon, about the threat of the storm:

    Owner Bob McNair
    (on the team’s plan for Hurricane Ike) “If y’all can tell us where it’s going to come ashore and when, we’ll tell you what the plan is. But we don’t know that. The most likely thing is it will go somewhere else rather than come right here. The probability is it will go somewhere else. We have no way of knowing. They have options. Our people work on it with the league. And as soon as we get a better fix on where it might come ashore and when, then we can speak more intelligently as to what we might do. Right now, we are playing here Sunday afternoon.”

    (on if there is a deadline for that decision) “I’m sure there is but I can’t tell you exactly when that might be. It’s just one of those things that right now, no one has an answer because no one knows what the facts will be.”

    (on how critical it is to make the right decision) “We want to do something that makes sense for our team and for our fans. The thing that makes the most sense is to play here. So, we will play here unless we are forced to do something else.”

    Head coach Gary Kubiak
    (on anything new on the weather situation) “No, the bottom line is we are still monitoring the situation along with the league and expecting to play here and for everything to be OK. Now, I’m sure that could change any time but that answer is between (general manager) Rick (Smith) and the league. We’re preparing as if (the game) is going to be here and everything is going to be OK.

    (on if there is a “Plan B” in place) “I know they are talking about a ‘Plan B.’ To sit and here say what that is, I’m not really sure. But I know it’s something they have to talk about in case they get to the point where they think we have to do something. But right now, the plan is to be here.”

    C Chris Myers (a native of Miami)
    (on the potential hurricane threat) “Those are all just distractions. I was born and raised in Miami, so I’m used to all of those hurricane distractions. We’ve just got to go in there and practice day-to-day, and if something comes through, we’ll work with it…

    “You don’t even worry about the hurricane. Once you get on the practice field, you’re not thinking about hurricanes. You’re not thinking about anything. You’re just going out there and practicing and doing what you know. As of now, we’re just going out there and focusing on Baltimore.”

    It has been speculated that, if the game is held in Houston as scheduled, the Baltimore Ravens may have to fly in on Friday instead of Saturday to avoid the storm.

    Ravens head coach John Harbaugh addressed that speculation on Wednesday when speaking with the Houston media:

    (on possibly having to arrive in Houston on Friday) “We’ve got guys working on that. Our team president, Dick Cass, is working with the Texans and with the league. Our travel people are obviously working hard on that. As a football team, we’re practicing and preparing for a really good Houston Texans club. Whenever they tell us we’ve got to get on the plane and travel and wherever we have to go, then that’s what we’ll do.”

    (on how he keeps his players from talking about the hurricane and focusing on the game) “We’ve got a tough opponent. That’s hurricane enough to get ready for. So, I’m pretty sure our guys are focused on that.”


    I find it hard to believe that the NFL does not come to some decision today. It would be extremely irresponsible to wait this thing out and than have disaster hit. I understand the fans of Houston want this thing at home, I would to. The fact is there's a good chance they wouldn't be able to play Sunday or Monday and if they wait and that happens this thing turns into a full blown scheduling nightmare.
    Section 517 since 2001!!!! Real fans sit real high!!!![




  13. #58
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    2,126

    Re: Mon night game??

    this is from the top of the Ravens site

    Sep 11, 2008, 1:48 PM: NFL league office expected to make announcement for Ravens/Texans game at 4:00 p.m. today
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!





  14. #59
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cub Hill, MD
    Posts
    2,690

    Re: Mon night game??

    (on if there is a deadline for that decision) “I’m sure there is but I can’t tell you exactly when that might be. It’s just one of those things that right now, no one has an answer because no one knows what the facts will be.”
    That was a load of horseshit. There IS a deadline for moving this game, and you can be sure he knows what it is...even if they don't want to tell anyone.

    This is a very large storm system that will probably be a Cat 3 minimum and they know damn well at this point that Houston is very likely gonna get hammered. If I need to buy tickets for Sunday here at M&T I want as much notice as possible


    WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012




  15. #60
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,500

    Re: Mon night game??

    The Ravens web site just removed the alert.

    The Texans web site just posted some new stuff and none of it had to di with the storm or moving the game.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland