Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: For those arguing about the Clayton TD

In 2006 Clayton had 7 rushes for MINUS 30 yards. His longest attempt was THREE YARDS. Most of those were end arounds. How about that double reverse!!! :happyanim

Wink Re: For those arguing about the Clayton TD

Quote Originally Posted by TRAP View Post
    I was wondering why they didn't give the ball to Figurs, the fastest man on the team. He's a receiver too.
    Two words: stone hands.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

If that were the case, a QB bootleg would be an end-around, because the ball wouldn't have changed directions. Either that or a reverse and an end-around are the same thing

Per good ole wikipedia:

End-around:
    The end-around is a play in which a wide receiver crosses the backfield towards the opposite end of the line and receives a handoff directly from the quarterback. The receiver then may proceed to do one of two things: he either runs the ball towards the line of scrimmage in order to gain yardage, or more rarely, attempts to pass to another eligible pass receiver.

Mason receiving the handoff from Flacco was an end-around.

Reverse:
    A classic reverse typically begins as a end-around, but before the ball-carrier crosses the line of scrimmage he hands the ball off to a teammate, usually a wide receiver, running in the reverse (opposite) direction.

Clayton taking Mason's no look pitch was a reverse.

Double Reverse:
    A variation of this play is a double reverse, in which the second ball-carrier takes the ball all or part way back across the field before he too hands off to a teammate running in the opposite direction.

Clayton never handed the ball off.

Terminology:

Sometimes an end-around, in which the only handoff is from a stationary quarterback to a wide receiver, is imprecisely called a "reverse". An end-around is not a reverse because the lateral flow of the play does not change direction. However, it has become commonplace for fans, sportswriters, announcers, and even coaches and players to refer to any end-around as a 'reverse', and to an end-around reverse as a 'double reverse.'
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Those know-nothings with the NFL are also calling it a double-reverse...

(2:27) 89-M.Clayton left end for 42 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Mark Clayton scores on double reverse from Derrick Mason.

That's from the official Gamebook account of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by shaslers View Post
    Those know-nothings with the NFL are also calling it a double-reverse...

(2:27) 89-M.Clayton left end for 42 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Mark Clayton scores on double reverse from Derrick Mason.

That's from the official Gamebook account of the game.
    Pffffff! I trust wikipedia more than the NFL. If anyone would know football, it is clearly wikipedia. :happyanim
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

For the record, I was fullly in the signel reversse camp, btu then I heard Cam on MASN last night call it a double reverse himself. I guess from the horses mouth is good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by xmradiodave View Post
    Pffffff! I trust wikipedia more than the NFL. If anyone would know football, it is clearly wikipedia. :happyanim
    I just spit out my drink. Thanks! That has to be the funniest comment of the day. If you don't mind I'm giong to borrow that for my sig.
    Pffffff! I trust wikipedia more than the NFL. If anyone would know football, it is clearly wikipedia.
    -xmradiodave 9/13/08

I am honored.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    For the record, I was fullly in the signel reversse camp, btu then I heard Cam on MASN last night call it a double reverse himself. I guess from the horses mouth is good enough for me.
    I would be lying if I said I did not feel vindicated. I am going to go have victory sex with my wife now.

Quote Originally Posted by xmradiodave
    I would be lying if I said I did not feel vindicated. I am going to go have victory sex with my wife now.
    Hey, I feel vindicated too -- post again when your wife is available.

HAHAHAHA! I can not believe I left that one hanging out there. Way to swing for the fences my friend.