Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Does Baltimore have a true NFL quarterback

We're winning with Flacco now, not despite him. Until he starts costing us games, he should be starting.

Get rid of his stat-line and look at what he did on the field. The kid is a winner plain and simple, not a role player like the last guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    What? I don't really remember too much about that game, and am too lazy to look up Boller's stat line, but I do remember he looked like a deer in the headlights for that whole game, and the Steelers dominated us. Flacco showed yesterday what Boller could never even show after 5 years: poise. He just seems to have "it", something intangible.

I agree that we shouldn't be annointing him the next Johnny U yet, and his next test comes next week on the road, but I think everyone should feel more excited about this kid's upside than in '03 with Boller.

And as an aside, I think I saw you yesterday Mista T. In the Ostend/Sharp street lot. I was in the middle of a conversation though so it would have been rude of me to shout across the lot at you.
    Exactly.

The differences between Flacco's poise and pocket presence vs Boller's in their first games couldn't be more different.

If Heap catches that ball in the endzone and/or Rice catches that pass across the middle, Flacco's numbers could have gone from what they were to 17-29 for @ 200 yds and a 2 TD.

Starting out at home was a huge advantage for him, no doubt. But his performance blew Boller's 1st game out of the water. Sure, if you put the numbers up (I haven't looked at Boller's line from that game) they probably look similar. Similar and completely misleading.

PP

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

I think we have seen enough QB busts on teams to know that Flacco even at this early stage is above the learning curve of alot of rookie QB's starting on opening day.

Real tests will come.And there will be some ups and downs along the way.
    But the kid has put his own stamp on this team and the crowd watching in M&T.

We are due,I hope and pray that all the pieces fall into place and that the No5 Raven jersey will become a best seller.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

Wink Re: Does Baltimore have a true NFL quarterback

Flacco showed yesterday what Boller could never even show after 5 years: poise. He just seems to have "it", something intangible.

I agree that we shouldn't be annointing him the next Johnny U yet, and his next test comes next week on the road, but I think everyone should feel more excited about this kid's upside than in '03 with Boller.
    I am cautiously optimistic (and to myself, dreaming of Flacco leading us to the Super Bowl with a 120 QB rating). But there's a little too much hyperbole when we judge QBs. Boller was not as bad as many portrayed him. Smith is not the next coming of the Messiah. Flacco was decent yesterday, but showed a lot of room for improvement.

And I struggle with accepring the the "it" factor for a rookie. I look at "it" as a QB whose on the field success exceeds his physical abilities. Yeah, Johhny U had "it". So did Bart Starr, Billy Kilmer, Terry Bradshaw, Doug Flutie. Few others. I judge most QBs based on their stats, starting with wins.

And as an aside, I think I saw you yesterday Mista T. In the Ostend/Sharp street lot. I was in the middle of a conversation though so it would have been rude of me to shout across the lot at you.
    I usually like to do a walkabout around 9 am -- before it gets too hot -- to visit our former tailgate neighbors.

You should come back over to Lot J some time for a beer!
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    The differences between Flacco's poise and pocket presence vs Boller's in their first games couldn't be more different.
    I agree this was very impressive.

Specifically, I *really* liked the way he moved in the pocket.

I am hopeful he'll get better; next week on the road, with Gaither matched up against Williams will be a tougher test. But he moves in the pocket like a pro.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    I usually like to do a walkabout around 9 am -- before it gets too hot -- to visit our former tailgate neighbors.

You should come back over to Lot J some time for a beer!
    Yeah it was around 9ish. We had just gotten there and were setting up the grill for breakfast.

I'm bringing the fiance to the Brownies game on the 21st, so we just might walk down to Lot J for an appearance.

Ummm.

Why would you exepect that?

The Flacco era has begun.

PP

Look, I'm every bit scared as others to have T. Smith as our starter but I don't want Flacco demolished by the likes of the Steelers. Besided Harb's has been clear so far that Flacco was in because he was the only healthy QB. Based on that and the past history with starting QB's from day one here I expect the coaching staff to take a very conservative approach to bringing Flacco along. I think it is still the best way to go.

Wink Re: Does Baltimore have a true NFL quarterback

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Puppy View Post
    Look, I'm every bit scared as others to have T. Smith as our starter but I don't want Flacco demolished by the likes of the Steelers. Besided Harb's has been clear so far that Flacco was in because he was the only healthy QB. Based on that and the past history with starting QB's from day one here I expect the coaching staff to take a very conservative approach to bringing Flacco along. I think it is still the best way to go.
    I'd be more concerned about the 5' 11" 200 pound dehydrated & malnourished Smith getting demolished by the grownups who play in the NFL than the 6' 6" 230 pound Flacco. :happyanim

In any event: Smith is history. We will be riding Flacco's strong right arm from here on out.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    In any event: Smith is history. We will be riding Flacco's strong right arm from here on out.
    No doubt about it.

Some moron reporter asked Harbaugh if Flacco would be the starter this week and it's somehow turned into a debate.

I'd like to ask the reporter who he thought would replace Flacco vs Houston and why.

His press credentials should've been pulled immediately after he asked the question.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Puppy View Post
    You don't pull a QB because you're scared of what a team like Pittsburgh "might do" to him. Mario Williams could crush him on Sunday. Kamerion Wimbley could crush him in 2 weeks.

You are right, Flacco is starting because our Boller's injury and Smith's illness.

But now that it's happened, there's no turning back. The guy is our starter and will be barring injury.

PP

You don't pull a QB because you're scared of what a team like Pittsburgh "might do" to him. Mario Williams could crush him on Sunday. Kamerion Wimbley could crush him in 2 weeks.

You are right, Flacco is starting because our Boller's injury and Smith's illness.

But now that it's happened, there's no turning back. The guy is our starter and will be barring injury.

PP
    Thank you.

And who's to say BTW that we put Smith in at QB against Pittsburgh and HE doesn't get wrecked for life? It's not like Smith has that much more NFL experience than Flacco. And really after the Houston game they'll have the same number of starts.

Joe Flacco should start until he proves otherwise he can't. Period. It doesn't matter how we got to this point. But we did. And now it's time to ride that as far as we can.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Thank you.

And who's to say BTW that we put Smith in at QB against Pittsburgh and HE doesn't get wrecked for life? It's not like Smith has that much more NFL experience than Flacco. And really after the Houston game they'll have the same number of starts.

Joe Flacco should start until he proves otherwise he can't. Period. It doesn't matter how we got to this point. But we did. And now it's time to ride that as far as we can.
    If you played QB in HS against my team, there was a good chance you would be leaving the game in an ambulance. We routinley beat teams 40-0 and broke something along the way. I stopped playing even though I was one of the top local prospects because a guy had to be helicoptered off with a severly broken neck in my last game.

There is a lot of risk all the time for everyone involved even at the lower levels of football. Palmer was a lot more vunerable than Flacco to an injury Sunday, but they could always blow a tendon doing a non contact 7 on 7 drill in practice or get some sort of crazy infection. You can also get a stray lead shower walking down the street around the stadium so you just have to take your chances.

Troy Smith beat the same Steeler rush that knocked out McNair and beat up Boller. Troy has really good pocket skills and wheels, but the way Joe can throw is incredible. I think we have 2 really good prospects and the price and draft status will allow us to keep both of them long enough to find out what they can do.