Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: I've Come to Terms with K. Boller

Kyle's problem has been on the road, but really thats a problem this entire team has had before mcnair's arrival.

However, its not clear that the entire offense on the road hasn't stepped up its play. It might be that Boller could come in and light up the steelers.

or, he could come in and throw 3 picks.

Its not really clear.

In any case, you start McNair if he is healthy. If he isn't, and that cut isn't healed, I woudl start Boller, give McNair a week to rest and heal, and give 2-3 quarters to McNair against the Bills, and the last quarter to Boller.

Keep McNair fresh, let that cut heal, and keep his arm live.

Word, CBD.

GO RAVENS!!!

Like most of you, the sight of Boller coming onto the filed leaves me with mixed feelings. He certainly looks more confident and throws a very nice ball. Other than the underthrown pass to Mason that was picked, I thought he threw the ball very well. He seems to still have some accuracy issues on short passes, but he looks pretty comfortable when given the time. The tripping and fumbling of snaps is what gives me the heebie jeebies. I always seem to hold my breath until he gets away from the center still standing. I heard Jason Brown saying Boller steps back with the side of his foot and is a little less stable because of it. Whatever it is, I'd like to see it fixed because it leads to these mixed feelings. I'm a Boller supporter, not a basher. I just hate to see those around me at the games scream for his head because he trips or fumbles on a consistent basis. I'm very comfortable with Boller backing up McNair and feel we are much improved with this set up. Unlike many others, however, I'd like to resign Boller after next year if he continues to improve his mechanics and footwork.

I think in the long run, he's going to have to fix his mechanics. But if, for some reason, we really need him to step in at some point this season, I propose he be allowed/forced to run the O out of the shotgun as much as possible, to try and reduce those absolutely infuriating gaffes.

GO RAVENS!!!

Boller is much better out of shotgun than out of center, come to think of it.

Well, because he doesn't have to drop back.

I think part of his problem is he still drops back too quickly. His mind is on the read before the ball hits his hands and he fumbles. Then he gets back like he's The Flash. A lot of that was due to poor pass protection.

I'm not suggesting we experiment on Sunday against Pittsburgh by letting him play just because. But because I have placed a lot of onus on past horrible protection, I'd like to see how different Boller plays even on the road with the rest of the team playing as it is.

It would definitely answer my final question about his ability to play the game. If he can't do it when the OL is solid consistently, and the receivers aren't dropping passes intheir hands, then that will tell a lot.

I agree with a lot of the above points about Boller, but there is something very simple that we often overlook -- for all the talk about McNair's influence, the shotgun, the coaching, the OL and everthing else, how about the fact that he's finally had enough experience to "get it?" Very few young QBs set the world on fire right away, and maybe Boller has now had enough game time experience to know what to do. It helps a lot that he has real receivers to throw to now, and the OL has been pass blocking better this season than they have in years, but the simple fact that he's seen enough by now to know what he's doing shoudn't be overlooked.

I hope the Ravens find a way to keep him around, because I still think he could become a very good QB in this league.

I would like to see Boller get in some more work in the next two weeks, just as a precautionary measure, like in the 4th quarter with 10 minutes left in the game. You have to keep McNair as healthy as possible and limit his exposure to injury. After all, we are in the playoffs, no matter what. It really seems unlikely that we will get an additional bye week, unless a miracle happens and the Chargers or Colts lose.

Something to consider. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Well, because he doesn't have to drop back.

I think part of his problem is he still drops back too quickly. His mind is on the read before the ball hits his hands and he fumbles. Then he gets back like he's The Flash. A lot of that was due to poor pass protection.

I'm not suggesting we experiment on Sunday against Pittsburgh by letting him play just because. But because I have placed a lot of onus on past horrible protection, I'd like to see how different Boller plays even on the road with the rest of the team playing as it is.

It would definitely answer my final question about his ability to play the game. If he can't do it when the OL is solid consistently, and the receivers aren't dropping passes intheir hands, then that will tell a lot.
    I agree 100% with that, stinger; especially if there's ANY QUESTION WHATSOEVER with regard to whether on not that cut on McNair's hand has totally healed. In that instance, I wouldn't hesitate to let Sunday be a "well, let's see what KB can do". It's really tailor-made for that -- it's going to be an intense game, against a team KB has already faced this year, in what promises to be a very loud, hostile environment, with little if any major consequences if we lose, and a lot to gain if he shows he can handle that sort of pressure.

GO RAVENS!!!

I definitely agree with you skay. But I think the real question before they make that switch is how important do they value the game.

Whether I like Kyle Boller or not, I am never in favor of sitting our starter unless it is absolutely necessary. I'm, with you on McNair's hand. I would call the cut on his hand not being totally healed necessary though. But if the Ravens want to keep pursuing home field advantage, you have to start McNair.

If this game to them is not that consequential, then I say go ahead and let the kid play. The Ravens need to see if they want to keep him.

But I think the real question before they make that switch is how important do they value the game.
    In my mind, SM's health is WAY more important than the outcome of the game. We need to look down the road a bit on this one, IMO.

(And btw --
    I definitely agree with you skay.

Quote Originally Posted by skaybaltimore View Post
    I agree 100% with that, stinger;
    OF COURSE YOU AGREE WITH ME ON THIS ONE...Because it started out with me agreeing with you!! So if you didn't agree with me, then that would mean you didn't agree with yourself. And that would be kinda difficult, DON'T YA THINK?)

GO RAVENS!!!
    Last edited by skaybaltimore; 12-20-2006 at 10:13 PM.

Look man, I'm trying to pack up a whole house and move in two days. I'm tired, cut me some slack. :p

In my mind, SM's health is WAY more important than the outcome of the game. We need to look down the road a bit on this one, IMO.
    I know. It's a compelling arguement. Maybe they could start Boller, then if things start to go downhill fast McNair could come in. I'm just not a big fan of sitting your starter. It's a tricky situation.