The way Harbs handled it

I'm not one to criticize the HC, normally.

But I don't like how Harbs handled Flacco starting. These quotes from Preston's piece, basically saying, "I don't know what's going to happen," stink.

He may not like the bad luck that got us here, but I sure wish he would put on his @#$!ing hard hat and say he believes in the starter he's named.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Re: The way Harbs handled it

What was also said but not mentioned in Preston's piece :

"Joe's our guy, we think he can win for us and he's had a heck of a practice and we're excited to go out there and play with him"

Quote Originally Posted by James R(aven) View Post
    What was also said but not mentioned in Preston's piece :

"Joe's our guy, we think he can win for us and he's had a heck of a practice and we're excited to go out there and play with him"
    Well, that is some comfort. I should have apologized for linking to a Preston piece. Regardless, here are the quotes I was talking about, and I'm still bothered by the lot of them, taken together:
    "Everybody gets an opportunity, and you take it and run with it," Harbaugh said. "You can definitely envision a scenario where it could be Joe's job through the year. You can envision a scenario where it's Kyle's job again. You can envision that it's Troy's job, or even the new quarterback."
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    I'm not one to criticize the HC, normally.

But I don't like how Harbs handled Flacco starting. These quotes from Preston's piece, basically saying, "I don't know what's going to happen," stink.

He may not like the bad luck that got us here, but I sure wish he would put on his @#$!ing hard hat and say he believes in the starter he's named.
    Bad Festivus!

You know better then to use Preston's words as fact.

Now go get a glass of bourbon and go to your room!

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    Well, that is some comfort. I should have apologized for linking to a Preston piece. Regardless, here are the quotes I was talking about, and I'm still bothered by the lot of them, taken together:
    Yes you should have ;)

He's just covering his ass and being realistic. It's Joe's job to throw away now pending on his performance.
    Last edited by James R(aven); 09-02-2008 at 09:19 AM. Reason: typo

Sorry, but I'd rather have Harbs be realistic here. You can be supportive, but not blindly so. It sounds like he's saying they're confident in Flacco, but if he struggles or is injured, there are scenarios where they could go back to Boller or Smith (or whoever they bring in from the scrap heap). It beats the blind "Boller is our guy no matter what" philosophy out of Billick from 2003.

"Everybody gets an opportunity, and you take it and run with it," Harbaugh said. "You can definitely envision a scenario where it could be Joe's job through the year. You can envision a scenario where it's Kyle's job again. You can envision that it's Troy's job, or even the new quarterback."
    Preston spins that quote SO badly it's not funny. We have no idea what was said around that quote, and if you set it up differently it has an entirely different meaning. He sets it up as a doomsday reference. He does that.

Preston is tough to swallow...

- C -

Either way, I can't care much about the way Harbs deals with the media. That is a non-factor. What really counts is the way he deals with the players and how he prepares for and manages the game. I think everyone's just spoiled by Billick's relationship with the media :P