Blog Entries

This week's PSA - counterfeit tickets

A friend of mine bought tickets for the Steeler home game (a couple of weeks ago) from some dudes who walked up to our tailgate lot. They looked like the real thing but were in fact fake. When scanned at the gate, they were denied entry and had to go to security to 'splain where they got them from.

Apparently they weren't the only ones.

There seems to be an organized ring of scam artists with access to good printing equipment working the tailgate lots prior to games. Be very carefull buying tickets from someone on-line or around the stadium. I know there's only one home game left but these guys may be cranking out playoff tickets also.
    Admin Steve :uk:
    Screwing up Ravens message boards since 1999.

Re: This week's PSA - counterfeit tickets

That is really sad, but that is the world we live in now. This is a good warning for people looking to buy tix for the Bills or playoff games.

Thank God I'm a season ticket holder & don't have to worry about this since my tickets come from the source.

My youngest son Kyle w/ Michael Phelps after the Browms game 12/24/11

Season Ticket Holder Since 96,
    Loud, Proud & Purple in Section 504. GO RAVENS, all the way to Indy for the Lombardi!!!

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Ways to protect yourself, buy from somebody that has been on this or another board for a while and has met people in person. They might screw you but your chances are much better since they are known. Or, buy from a reputable broker. They do have a reputation to uphold. Also, stubhub probably has some guarantees so even though you are buying from another person there is some accountability there, though I am not that familiar with them.

Finally, if you are going to buy from a scalper ask them to go with you to the gate or ticket window to verify the tickets' validity. It might be a pain but it might save you a good bit of change. At minimum ask them to see their driver's license or ID, if they refuse walk away. If they show it write down their name and address as well as the license number so you can get the police onto them. If they are part of a big scam you can be sure the cops will want to track them down.

Blog Entries

Also, the tickets weren't the ticketmaster type. They were the purple tickets that season ticket holders get. I don't have one in front of me but there's a hologram (I think) and some other security features. These tickets looked legit and were compared with others for that game.

Scary.

Stub Hub will reimburse the purchaser and charge the ticket seller whose card info is held by Stub Hub. I'm not sure though If you get back the face value or the amount that you paid for the tickets.
    Admin Steve :uk:
    Screwing up Ravens message boards since 1999.