Thread: OT / Hurricane

OT / Hurricane

I used to watch TV and was amazed by the people in the Home Depot line ....

Now I am almost embarrassed to say that I was one of them today.

4 sheets of plywood, 3 cases of water, 2" wood screws, batteries and flashlight --- took me 5 hours! Some dude was outside, scalping wood for people who didnt want to wait in line -- price started at $50 a sheet and some people actually paid.

This is going to be a fun week!

Might be selling my seats for the first game is this thing goes bad! ;)

Re: OT / Hurricane

I was scheduled to leave for New orleans for business on opening day. I may now get to make the game after all, although this isn't the way i'd like to see it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I used to watch TV and was amazed by the people in the Home Depot line ....

Now I am almost embarrassed to say that I was one of them today.

4 sheets of plywood, 3 cases of water, 2" wood screws, batteries and flashlight --- took me 5 hours! Some dude was outside, scalping wood for people who didnt want to wait in line -- price started at $50 a sheet and some people actually paid.

This is going to be a fun week!

Might be selling my seats for the first game is this thing goes bad! ;)
    Don't be embarrassed. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. That's what we do here. Good luck.

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely inexplicable…

There is another theory which states that this - has - already - happened…

"We don't have a town drunk...we all take turns..."

Houston,
    My son's a Navy Helo pilot. He's coming down to help you folks out. Wave hi to him for me.
    Last edited by Old Man Fan; 08-30-2008 at 07:56 PM. Reason: mispelled word!

Thanks ....

It's getting worse here by the minute. The grocery store near me is officially out of BMTP (Bread, Milk, Toilet Paper).

Riots to ensue.

6. Re: OT / Hurricane

my brother went down to houston friday and is coming home tuesday for a wedding should he prepare and try to get a flight early ?

Quote Originally Posted by orioles03 View Post
    my brother went down to houston friday and is coming home tuesday for a wedding should he prepare and try to get a flight early ?
    YES!!!!!!

The sooner the better. People are already getting out of town. Folks from LA are driving over to Houston to get flights. We wil see storms that will threaten the airports starting Monday.

Oh yes, there's nothing like hurricane season. My mother, who lives in central Florida, lost her power for three or four days when Fay passed through two weeks ago. And she wasn't even in one of the hardest hit areas. When the power finally came back, she naturally had to throw out practically everything in the freezer and fridge.

Good luck, Houston! Hopefully, it won't be that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Thanks ....

It's getting worse here by the minute. The grocery store near me is officially out of BMTP (Bread, Milk, Toilet Paper).

Riots to ensue.
    Sounds like what happens here when there's a threat of 1" of snow in the winter.
    At least you all have a legit excuse for that type of thing.
    Unfortunately though the threat you all have far exceeds any type of snow storm we normally see.

Good luck down there!!
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Wink Re: OT / Hurricane

My best friend runs some Government facilities in Louisiana and Texas. I talked to him last night. His entire operation is evacuating today, moving far inland. All the facilities are being buttoned down, as the forecasters project this one to intensify over the warm Gulf to a Category 5 storm and make landfall around Morgan City, LA (in the midst of all the oil reserve facilities). But unless there's a change not predicted, New Orleans and Houston metros would be spared.
    Last edited by Mista T; 08-31-2008 at 10:54 AM.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

I appreciate all the kind words from everyone .... Thanks! :)

I am told that the silver lining is that Houston sits on the western side of the storm -- typically the weaker part of the storm.

If the tracks hold up, we should fine and all clear by Friday.

My local grocery ran out of coffee this AM. How in the hell do you run out of coffee at a time like this?!?!?!?!
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 08-31-2008 at 09:15 AM.

Good Luck, Houston. I cannot possibly imagine what that is like, to prepare for a storm. Up here in Maryland, Isabelle was bad enough back in 2003. We will all say a prayer for you that the storm passes you by.