Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Aaron Wilson read on Reed

This reeks of something. I just can't put my finger on it.

LINK
    Last edited by TL24x7; 08-30-2008 at 08:30 AM.

Re: New Aaron Wilson read on Reed

It sounds pretty clear cut to me. There have been rumors all preseason that something serious was wrong with Reed and he has just confirmed it. You don't mess around when it comes to the Neck. Unfortunately, it really doesn't sound like we will have a healthy Reed all season if he indeed does play.

The somewhat good thing is that we seem to have 3 good Safeties in Leonhard, Nakamura and Zbikowski. Who knows if they will ever be as good as Reed was his MVP year but then again, you don't necessarily need an MVP at every position.

Quote Originally Posted by phatboy View Post
    This reeks of something. I just can't put my finger on it.

LINK
    I agree. It reeks of "Why Ed Reed didn't meaningfully participate in the preseason," and "Why Ed Reed's season may be limited and his career may be cut short."

Very perceptive, phatboy!
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

I think it means that if he has surgery, his career is over. It means he has to deal with it the best he can, possibly with physical therapy and medication. It also means he has to watch himself when he plays and possibly not tackle as hard or keep his neck and shoulders from being hit a certain way. That is my interpretation.

Blog Entries

one of the beat writers said it seemed like Reed might be unhappy about his contract, and that's why he's being so hesitant on his shoulder, which makes a lot of sense, since one bad hit and he's going to need a new career.

Someone compared it to the injuries that Tom Brady and LT have. Basically, something that needs to be taken care of when he's done football. Although given Reed's physical style and the nature of the S position, he might want to consider a position change in order to save himself up.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

It doesn't sound like there is anything that can be done about it. It seems like Reed has to gamble with his health and play football, or play it safe and retire. I know if I've made the money Reed has made, then I would be out of the game. It's just not worth having a lifetime debilitating injury over. The problem is that most of these guys are awful at managing their money and really can't afford an early retirement.

Blog Entries

I hope Reed can find a good solution to this hard spot. Whether he retires out of fear of further injury, or finds a program that works for him, the guy has been a great Raven.

I'm just glad we grabbed Zbikowski and Nakamura in the draft, they make the prospect of losing Reed just slightly less frightening. And that's not to take anything away from Leonhard, who has definitley made his signing worthwhile.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

here is my take on the situation.i am a huge ed reed fan love his attitude love how he is around us fans i just like the guy all around.i dont know about his contract and what not or if he is unhappy.but what i do know is when reed does play he plays his ass off and shows a TON of heart.with that said i wouldnt want that to change.meaning i would hate to see reed out there on the field and not playing like himself taking it easy or only going half speed to protect himself.if that is indeed the case for him to return to the field i would rather see him step away from the game and live a healthy life.i personally dont want anyone on the field who cant give 100 percent and has to worry about their life playing this game.....

thats just my take it may sound harsh but if its that serious then he should step away.

If I were he, I would not want to play FS anymore. That is just a collision position.
    The guy is one of the most gifted athletes in the NFL. How long would it take him to become a better CB than Ronde Barber? The Ravens should think about using more of a Tampa 2 scheme with Reed and C Mack as the starters with constant deep saftey help.
    They can still do most of the other stuff they do with the front 7, but I wonder if we even have the cover corners to play the scheme we did in 2006 anymore anyway.

I really wonder how much the Ravens knew about this being that we loaded up on safeties before this came out about Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by phatboy View Post
    I really wonder how much the Ravens knew about this being that we loaded up on safeties before this came out about Ed.
    I have seen him come up with a gimace and a dragging arm after some big hits before. he may be getting a nasty stinger evry time he hits the sweet spot. He said he is not retired or at severe risk, just needs to be smart about it. A guy only has so many collisons in him. He has been playing a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    I have seen him come up with a gimace and a dragging arm after some big hits before. he may be getting a nasty stinger evry time he hits the sweet spot. He said he is not retired or at severe risk, just needs to be smart about it. A guy only has so many collisons in him. He has been playing a long time.
    Exactly, defensive guys many times have shoulder problems later in life as that is what they use to hit people. Ray's shoulder's are shot compared to a normal 32 year old man.

This may be real heresy as a Ravens fan, but this may be a silver lining - I have never felt good about the money the Ravens would be compelled to send Ed's way as one of the top defensive guys in the NFL, as a SAFETY. That position is just too easy to game-plan for. We all saw maybe two years of unbelievable play making out of Ed Reed, and after that he has been one of the top safeties in the NFL but not nearly the level when he was DPOY. Why? People figured it out, and he's then too easy to game-plan for; I think that is why he doesn't stay in position etc. (Ravens have said that for at least 2 years), because he is desperate to make a play.

Ravens will be fine without him, even though he is an excellent player. Put the money in DL and OL, guys like Ngata, Brown and some of the other young studs once they prove themselves (Ngata has of course). Those players, plus guys like Flacco, Ray Rice, a WR, Suggs, and our future QUALITY CBs, will affect the outcome of a game a lot more than Ed Reed will (once/if they prove themselves), even though he is a great guy and an outstanding safety.

My .02