Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ed Reed

Re: Ed Reed

If this was a contract issue, someone would have sniffed it out or something would have been leaked by now.

I think this is a severe injury issue, but at least the team seems to have some depth at this position.

If this is on the serious Career ending path, Reed only needs to look to Sterling Sharpe who had to leave the game with a neck injury from GB. Best to "walk" away if that is the case.

For the sake of our Defense and Raven's team, let's hope he plays for many more years!!

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    Merriman has been getting plenty of good advice -- four doctors have told him to have surgery NOW -- but he's ignoring them. And incredibly, the Chargers are apparently going to ignore the doctors as well, and let him play.

I doubt the Ravens would take such an approach. Reed is probably too smart anyway to jepordize his post-career life by playing against multiple physician's advice, but even if he did, I'm not sure the Ravens would allow it.

Having said all that, I sure as hell hope this isn't true.
    That's why I emphasised the taking on board of the advice. He's been told by four people not to play, but he physically can. Management needs to step in there and stop Merriman playing, they're jeopardising they're future as well as his by leaving the decision up to him.

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenStockers View Post
    That's why I emphasised the taking on board of the advice. He's been told by four people not to play, but he physically can. Management needs to step in there and stop Merriman playing, they're jeopardising they're future as well as his by leaving the decision up to him.
    Like they really care if his leg falls off? They can get a new linebacker, they already have. He cannot just go get another leg. The guy must have damaged his brain. If he has a family that cares for him, they will get a tranq dart or something and put him down for a while.
    He probly just wants to be on the active roster for some sort of contract incentive, and then go on IR. There may be some sort of thing that affects his free agency or just gaurantees his salary or something.

The unreliable injury information is reason alone not to put money on the games, but there is a lot of money at stake for a guy like Sean still in his first contract and established as superstar. If his agent is not an idiot he knows what is really going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    Merriman has been getting plenty of good advice -- four doctors have told him to have surgery NOW -- but he's ignoring them. And incredibly, the Chargers are apparently going to ignore the doctors as well, and let him play.

Maybe he has found a way to hide "the Juice" that will make him think he is Superman.

Merriman is an ID TEN T...otherwise know as an IDIOT if he plays through all of these warnings!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    Like they really care if his leg falls off? They can get a new linebacker, they already have.
    Yeah, they can get another linebacker, but can they get another Shawne Merriman? Erm, that'll be a no. Their depth is what? Jyles Tucker and Marques Harris? They're decent backups but there isn't anyone on his level on their roster or elsewhere in the league or coming out of college. You don't just wreck a talent like Merriman for the sake of it, or because you can. Shawne Merriman's don't come round the corner every season, so to waste one when you've got one is absolutely terrible team management.

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenStockers View Post
    Yeah, they can get another linebacker, but can they get another Shawne Merriman? Erm, that'll be a no. Their depth is what? Jyles Tucker and Marques Harris? They're decent backups but there isn't anyone on his level on their roster or elsewhere in the league or coming out of college. You don't just wreck a talent like Merriman for the sake of it, or because you can. Shawne Merriman's don't come round the corner every season, so to waste one when you've got one is absolutely terrible team management.
    They were not going to keep him anyway. He would have hit the market unless they tagged him and they are going to have to use that on Cromartie or one of the many good young players they have coming up on free agency.

Conspiracy theories in the NFL...(queue twilight zone music).
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

Blog Entries

If memory serves me right, impingement is just slightly shory of pinched.
    And is probably a neck issue, affecting the nerve there as it continues to the shoulder.

That said, there is something intriguing about Reed at CB. Not primary CB, but I sure could see him move to the nickel position and Leonhard the regular safety spot in those packages. Think what we lose with Leonhard spelling Reed, would be more than made up with Reed spelling Walker/Ivy.
    Maybe if CMac/Rolle/Washington are all available, then Leonhard comes in to play true Safety on the dime package and Reed shifts to coverage?

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    If memory serves me right, impingement is just slightly shory of pinched.
    And is probably a neck issue, affecting the nerve there as it continues to the shoulder.

That said, there is something intriguing about Reed at CB. Not primary CB, but I sure could see him move to the nickel position and Leonhard the regular safety spot in those packages. Think what we lose with Leonhard spelling Reed, would be more than made up with Reed spelling Walker/Ivy.
    Maybe if CMac/Rolle/Washington are all available, then Leonhard comes in to play true Safety on the dime package and Reed shifts to coverage?
    That was what I was envisioning for him as a CB. Not lined up on the island vs Moss, but in the slot in a cover/ blitz role like Ivy with Zibs, Haruki and Leonard all looking like players, maybe it is time to find other places to use Reed.

There is no way this has anything to do with money.
    I heard the interview as well.
    He has been traveling around seeking multiple opinions, and apparently getting treatments to help relieve the discomfort.
    He outright said that if he was to get surgery that the media would never be interviewing him again implying that his carreer would be done.
    I'm taking that as that the surgery would relieve his pain and discomfort but would put him at much higher risk for serious damage if hit the right way.
    Basically I think he was told that playing football after having the surgery would be a serious risk for life changing injury.
    That's how I took what he was saying.

The neck and that area in general is nothing to fool with.
    You are talking about the spinal cord, etc.
    Even having disc problems (which could be what he has I suppose) can take many, many months with constant therapys, treatments, etc. to show relief from the symptoms.

There is no way this team can carry him on the 53 man roster, and deactivate him every week hoping he'll be able to play at some point.

My guess is he'll be IRd at some point (probably soon), and given the year to heal, or make his decision about having surgery and retireing.

As Raven fans, I don't think this has a very positive conclusion for us as fans, but the dude needs to do what's best for his long term health and way of life.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

I'm starting to hear he maybe out longer then most thought.