Post-Presidential Contributions

One of the many things that occurred to me whole watching the DNC over the past week is how active Democratic Presidents/VicePs have been since leaving office.

Jimmy Carter with his work for human rights internationally winning him the Nobel Peace Prize in 2002 and Habitat for Humanity.

Al Gore with is contributions on global warming research winning him a Nobel in 2007.

Bill Clinton with is active work on HIV/AIDS.

The Republicans can't match this currently. H.W. Bush is unheard from and I can't imagine "W" involving himself in any humanitarian work after he crawls out of the White House.

Big difference in the parties and what they find important that I think came to light during the DNC. Good week for the progressive thinkers in the country. In a corny and over-sentimental moment, those in my house watching Barack's speech had to admit their pride.

Re: Post-Presidential Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    One of the many things that occurred to me whole watching the DNC over the past week is how active Democratic Presidents/VicePs have been since leaving office.

Jimmy Carter with his work for human rights internationally winning him the Nobel Peace Prize in 2002 and Habitat for Humanity.

Al Gore with is contributions on global warming research winning him a Nobel in 2007.

Bill Clinton with is active work on HIV/AIDS.

The Republicans can't match this currently. H.W. Bush is unheard from and I can't imagine "W" involving himself in any humanitarian work after he crawls out of the White House.

Big difference in the parties and what they find important that I think came to light during the DNC. Good week for the progressive thinkers in the country. In a corny and over-sentimental moment, those in my house watching Barack's speech had to admit their pride.
    I, too, was brimming with pride in what I saw. It would take a very close-minded person not to believe in this man!... Regardless of party.

Re: Post-Presidential Contributions

Bush 41 is nearly 80 and doesn't need the limelight. Clinton still craves attention and $$$. VP Gore is heavily invested in the alternative energy industry (a little-reported factoid). Mr. Carter is doing great work when he eschews hateful politics.
    'W' would probably love to get involved with some service if those loud obnoxious libs would stop booing him (remember opening day at Nats?).
    Baltimore Ravens, 2012 NFL Champions!