Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gaither

Re: Gaither

Thanks Filmstudy, I made it home after the 1's were out and had forgotten to set my DVR...

I proclaimed several times on this board that the line was going to be nowhere near as bad as many thought, The chicken little crowd got a little annoying with the two starting tackles out. Imagine that, once they are back the line looks 100% better.... no shat, is that how it works?

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Thanks Filmstudy, I made it home after the 1's were out and had forgotten to set my DVR...

I proclaimed several times on this board that the line was going to be nowhere near as bad as many thought, The chicken little crowd got a little annoying with the two starting tackles out. Imagine that, once they are back the line looks 100% better.... no shat, is that how it works?
    You also proclaimed that Gaither would be back "any day" about 3 weeks ago.

I'll be happy as hell to eat my words about the tackles.

The depth is still very shaky so Gaither and Terry staying healthy is a must.

You wanna call someone a chicken little yet proclaim the line to looked "100%" better in a quarter and a half's worth of action in the 4th preseason game? Sorry, but I'll reserve judgment until some regular season games.

Last night was certainly encouraging though.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post

You wanna call someone a chicken little yet proclaim the line to looked "100%" better in a quarter and a half's worth of action in the 4th preseason game? Sorry, but I'll reserve judgment until some regular season games.

PP
    Slaughter and Krak were servicable. Cousins was shaky but any rookie should be. He has a lot of potential.
    From what I have seen the interior depth is way more shaky than the T spots. Chester is decent back up, but who else? If he is the best option, how good could the depth be?
    Hale looks terrible. I don't see how he makes the top 53. Maybe he is hurt and just does not know it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    Slaughter and Krak were servicable. Cousins was shaky but any rookie should be. He has a lot of potential.
    From what I have seen the interior depth is way more shaky than the T spots. Chester is decent back up, but who else? If he is the best option, how good could the depth be?
    Hale looks terrible. I don't see how he makes the top 53. Maybe he is hurt and just does not know it yet.
    My reference about depth referred to the whole line.

Chester isn't even a good backup. He's has flat out been abused all camp and preseason.

If you think Slaughter is serviceable, more power to you. If that guy starts a game at LT for us, it'll be a long day.

Staying healthy is by far the key for this line.

That and keep pushing Gaither to realize his potential.

PP

My reference about depth referred to the whole line.

Chester isn't even a good backup. He's has flat out been abused all camp and preseason.

If you think Slaughter is serviceable, more power to you. If that guy starts a game at LT for us, it'll be a long day.

Staying healthy is by far the key for this line.

That and keep pushing Gaither to realize his potential.

PP
    I think we need to agree on some terminology in order to have a productive conversation.

When I say a T is serviable, it does not mean good. I mean they can put him out there and not expect him to get beat on every snap, and he may actually win a few matchups and make some good blocks.

When I say Chester is a good backup. I mean he is going to be able to make the calls, know the plays, snap the ball without causing fumbles, and do what he can do with whatever mismatch is most likey in front of him.

When you play any backup against a starter you have to be careful and expect the other team to attack there.

The Steelers and Bungles starting O line looked worse than ours did with the backup tackles in preseason. The scores do not matter much, but the matchups do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    I think we need to agree on some terminology in order to have a productive conversation.

When I say a T is serviable, it does not mean good. I mean they can put him out there and not expect him to get beat on every snap, and he may actually win a few matchups and make some good blocks.

When I say Chester is a good backup. I mean he is going to be able to make the calls, know the plays, snap the ball without causing fumbles, and do what he can do with whatever mismatch is most likey in front of him.

When you play any backup against a starter you have to be careful and expect the other team to attack there.

The Steelers and Bungles starting O line looked worse than ours did with the backup tackles in preseason. The scores do not matter much, but the matchups do.
    I think Slaughter is a complete liability in a regular season game. I don't think he's serviceable.

Chester has been ABUSED by 3rd stringers all camp. He is not a good backup.

I'm fully aware of what to expect out of a backup. And I'm telling you that Chester doesn't even meet that standard IMO.

PP

I think Slaughter is a complete liability in a regular season game. I don't think he's serviceable.

Chester has been ABUSED by 3rd stringers all camp. He is not a good backup.

I'm fully aware of what to expect out of a backup. And I'm telling you that Chester doesn't even meet that standard IMO.

PP
    OK, we disagree about how bad those players are then.
    I think Slaughter held his own against Seymoure.
    Then he got Allen blocked pretty well in the run game, but struggled predictably in the pass game.
    I did not hear Chris Long's name called when he was blocking him. Flacco did not take a beating form his blind side.
    What else do you want from a street free agent who was out of football for a year? I would call that servicable and good enough for some serious roster concideration.

Is Chester a good backup? OK that is debatable, but I would say so based on his ability to play multiple spots. the fact that he has been around and in shape. He knows the offense and does not cause turnovers. He may not be able to block a good DT 1 on 1, but neither could Flynn and he played for 10 years, mostly as as starter.

PP
    You are correct, but notice three weeks later, he showed no ill effects. I think it's safe to say they didn't rush him back.

Reserve judgement, be my guest, it's nto as if I think they are immediately a strength of this team, though I'd imagine that with time if they remain healthy, they could be. The talent is there IMO.

You are correct, but notice three weeks later, he showed no ill effects. I think it's safe to say they didn't rush him back.

Reserve judgement, be my guest, it's nto as if I think they are immediately a strength of this team, though I'd imagine that with time if they remain healthy, they could be. The talent is there IMO.
    I think we're on the same page.

Like I said, I was certainly encouraged by last night. Something to build on for sure.

PP

I agree we are on the same page. I was simply on a different page from many yesterday, before the game. I never thought that the OL was a reason to give up on the season, I knew they would look MUCH more manageable with their starting tackles.

I agree we are on the same page. I was simply on a different page from many yesterday, before the game. I never thought that the OL was a reason to give up on the season, I knew they would look MUCH more manageable with their starting tackles.
    Who thought they wouldn't look better with the starters?

PP

well, many thought they wouldn't look good still... maybe moreso scout then here....