Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Boller's Deep Ball

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    Anyone else who's not a Boller hater happy to see that Kyle's deep ball has come along?

1st, i would give credit to Newsome for finally upgrading our Recievers in the last two years.

To think that Boller started off throwing to Frank Sanders, Marcus Dropinson, Travesty Taylor . . .

Now he's throwing to Mason, Clayton, and D Will, probably a top 3 WR combo out there.

Secondly, starting with the 2nd half of last season, Boller's deep ball has been far more on target. All the deep and intermediate balls he threw 2nd half of last year come to mind.

Then yesterday, the strikes to Williams (the 1st one and also the 77 yarder) as well as the strike to Clayton. they were all very on target.

Maybe Billick was right to some extent. Hopefully the coaching staff and McNair have taught Kyle to be more acurate on the deep ball. Also, pass protection has improved.

Maybe kudos should go to the departed Fassel for some of Kyles improvement.

You have demonstrated yourself that the credit for Boller recent deep ball success correlates with better receivers being around him now, and not anything mechanical on Boller's part. When you can get a deep ball to a Mark Clayton and DWill, both of whom have caught deep passes from Boller with confidence, it makes Boller appear better. That can be said for any QB not named Manning or Farve. When you have an OL that can pass protect better it makes Boller appear better.

Basically, a better OL and receivers are why Boller has been effective recently and not because of anything Boller is doing.

1. Boller is still fumbling snaps.
    2. Boller is still panicking under pressure. In a playoff road game, Boller would meltdown.
    3. Boller is still struggling to keep his feet under him.
    4. Boller still suffers mental lapses during the game. On two snaps, Boller wasn't even ready to receive the snaps.

All of this after 4 seasons in the NFL.

Bottomline, Boller is only good when used in short spurts. I am not saying McNair's stats and performances have been glwoing either, but we are not 11-3 without McNair, and we damn sure are not 11-3 with Boller. Let's be real here; Boller did okay and won us the playoff clincher, but Boller is in no way our future or any kind of NFL starter. Boller at best is what he is right now, a backup and someone that can come in for a couple of games and hold the fort for the true starting QB. Hey, I like Boller the person and this is not a "hater" thing that messageboards love to turn everything into, but the facts are the facts. Boller (as Shannon Sharpe said) is not a QB that can lead any team to a championship as a starter for majority of the season.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

2. Boller is still panicking under pressure. In a playoff road game, Boller would meltdown.
    Please show me where he panicked Sunday. When you complete 60% of your passes and throw 2 touchdowns, you're not panicking. You're doing what most every other QB in the league is doing. And 80% of the time you're winning the game with a 112 QB rating.

On two snaps, Boller wasn't even ready to receive the snaps.
    Um. Other than then fumble, what was the other snap?

Basically, a better OL and receivers are why Boller has been effective recently and not because of anything Boller is doing.
    So it doesn't matter that Boller's actually thowing the ball? It's a mirage? It's really a guy behind Boller throwing the ball and making it LOOK like Boller's throwing it? When Boller runs for a 1st down, you don't see it but he's actually on a bike?

PR, you know I like you man. And you KNOW I agree with you almost all the time otherwise. But you are starting to venture into Tex territory. And I don't want to see that because you're a better person than that.

You can say Boller is never going to be starter again, and I understand your arguement for it. It's an easy arguement to make. But I can tell you if he left here today there are at least three teams right now that would love to have his arm and mobility and think they could break him of his fumbling problem. Oakland, Detroit, Minnesota. That's just if he left today.

When you can get a deep ball to a Mark Clayton and DWill, both of whom have caught deep passes from Boller with confidence, it makes Boller appear better. That can be said for any QB not named Manning or Farve. When you have an OL that can pass protect better it makes Boller appear better.
    It doesn't make his APPEAR better. It simply makes him better.
    Last edited by StingerNLG; 12-21-2006 at 01:26 PM.

1. Boller is still fumbling snaps.
    3. Boller is still struggling to keep his feet under him.
    4. Boller still suffers mental lapses during the game. On two snaps, Boller wasn't even ready to receive the snaps
    I'm not going to sit here and say this never happened because they did. But
    I've got to tell ya after seeing him on Sunday I have to say he did better than I expected. I was pleasantly surprised that he came in an emergency situation and delivered. Kudos to Boller.

Maybe he is a great backup after all.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Please show me where he panicked Sunday. When you complete 60% of your passes and throw 2 touchdowns, you're not panicking. You're doing what most every other QB in the league is doing. And 80% of the time you're winning the game with a 112 QB rating.

Um. Other than then fumble, what was the other snap?

So it doesn't matter that Boller's actually thowing the ball? It's a mirage? It's really a guy behind Boller throwing the ball and making it LOOK like Boller's throwing it? When Boller runs for a 1st down, you don't see it but he's actually on a bike?

PR, you know I like you man. And you KNOW I agree with you almost all the time otherwise. But you are starting to venture into Tex territory. And I don't want to see that because you're a better person than that.

You can say Boller is never going to be starter again, and I understand your arguement for it. It's an easy arguement to make. But I can tell you if he left here today there are at least three teams right now that would love to have his arm and mobility and think they could break him of his fumbling problem. Oakland, Detroit, Minnesota. That's just if he left today.

It doesn't make his APPEAR better. It simply makes him better.

I don't hate Boller or anything. I just do not view him as our future starter. I could be wrong and if so, have a bucket of crow waiting for me.

As for the other snap, it wasn't a snap that he fumbled, but the ball was snapped back to Boller and Boller was not ready to receive it. That could have been a simple miscommunication between Boller and the center.

All of this said, Boller deserves a fresh start with another club, because Boller's best opportunity here would be as a backup. Again, I could be wrong.
    Last edited by PurpleRulz; 12-22-2006 at 12:35 AM.

Wink Re: Boller's Deep Ball

Quote Originally Posted by Tex Ritter View Post
    Before all of you join hands and sing KyleBollerYa, did the thought ever occur to you that the converse is also true in that a calm, poised, veteran QB like say, Steve McNair also makes his offensive line look better because he is able to properly react and maneuver (adjust on the fly) to pressure as it invariably comes on most all passing plays?
    What a joke. The OL provides pass protection like never before, and some confused fans want to credit the QB. Watch the pass protection closely on tape next time.

Funny, in two games Boller has but 3 sacks, one which was a fumble, not a true sack. That extrapolates to 16 to 24 sacks a season, depending on how you want to interpret the fumble. I assume that some who have their noses up in McNair's jockstrap would credit the OL for Boller's performance, but credit McNair for the minimal sacks in the other games. Right?

Also, please explain to an idiot like me who has only been watching NFL football religiously since the early 1960's what the OL has to do with Boller tripping over air totally untouched? (I am not talking about being stepped on by Flynn either). Explain that one please?
    I, too have been watching NFL football since the 1960s, and I cannot understand how one fan could get so, so obsessed with such an average QB. :insane: And, yes, I have also witnessed McNair tripping, fumbling, and bumbling this year as well.

And finally as much as you love Kyle Boller and ooh and ah over his big arm, if it was fourth and goal from the 10 yard line with 3 seconds remaining and the Ravens were down 6 in the superbowl, would you all really feel supreme confidence that Boller would somehow make the game winning play and not just trip over air and fall down? Or would you much rather have Steve McNair in that situation?

As long as there were a preceding 2 week rest period, from the 10, I'd go along with McNair because he's a vet. Anything beyond that, I'd question that his weak arm could get it there.:grbac:
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    What a joke. The OL provides pass protection like never before, and some confused fans want to credit the QB. Watch the pass protection closely on tape next time.

Funny, in two games Boller has but 3 sacks, one which was a fumble, not a true sack. That extrapolates to 16 to 24 sacks a season, depending on how you want to interpret the fumble. I assume that some who have their noses up in McNair's jockstrap would credit the OL for Boller's performance, but credit McNair for the minimal sacks in the other games. Right?

I, too have been watching NFL football since the 1960s, and I cannot understand how one fan could get so, so obsessed with such an average QB. :insane: And, yes, I have also witnessed McNair tripping, fumbling, and bumbling this year as well.

As long as there were a preceding 2 week rest period, from the 10, I'd go along with McNair because he's a vet. Anything beyond that, I'd question that his weak arm could get it there.:grbac:

I think you guys are underestimating McNair's arm strength. It is not what it once was, but McNair, on a pass that overshot a wide open DWill, showed me that he has more than a "weak arm."

And finally as much as you love Kyle Boller and ooh and ah over his big arm, if it was fourth and goal from the 10 yard line with 3 seconds remaining and the Ravens were down 6 in the superbowl,
    Oh like he did in his only SB trip?

I too have been watching football since before the 60's and have seen many great QB's come and go. Steve McNoodle is not one of them. McNoodle was nothing but a tease and heartbreaker in Tennessee and he will eventually break our hearts too. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think so. I only hope BB can find another excuse to bench his rag armed ass like he did sunday when we need some offense in the playoffs.

Of course this is just my opinion, yours may differ.

Quote Originally Posted by POPSinPA View Post
    Oh like he did in his only SB trip?

I too have been watching football since before the 60's and have seen many great QB's come and go. Steve McNoodle is not one of them. McNoodle was nothing but a tease and heartbreaker in Tennessee and he will eventually break our hearts too. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think so. I only hope BB can find another excuse to bench his rag armed ass like he did sunday when we need some offense in the playoffs.

Of course this is just my opinion, yours may differ.
    Wow, with all of the Kyle Boller haters around, I did'nt know there were many Steve McNair haters.

Bench McNair? For What? He has led this team to its best ever record, he has had the best QB rating of any Ravens QB since Vinny T.

We should bench him for Kyle Boller because he lit up the Cleveland Browns Secondary? What a smart move

Boller seems to be finally making progress and thats great, but the notion of benching the guy who has led us to our great record is absurd.

Thank God people like you do not run this team.
    Last edited by Heap86; 12-22-2006 at 01:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heap86 View Post
    Wow, with all of the Kyle Boller haters around, I did'nt know there were many Steve McNair haters.

Bench McNair? For What? He has led this team to its best ever record, he has had the best QB rating of any Ravens QB since Vinny T.

We should bench him for Kyle Boller because he lit up the Cleveland Browns Secondary? What a smart move

Boller seems to be finally making progress and thats great, but the notion of benching the guy who has led us to our great record is absurd.

Thank God people like you do not run this team.

You didn't know that? If you like McNair, then you "hate Boller." If you support Boller, then you "hate McNair." That's why we are called fans: short for fanatic. (Motivated by extreme and unreasoning enthusiam).

All of this said, Boller deserves a fresh start with another club, because Boller's best opportunity here would be as a backup. Again, I could be wrong.
    I agree. There has to be a massive shift for that to change here, and I think both Boller and the club have to know that. I think he goes somewhere else when his contract is up.

BTW, who's calling for McNair to get benched now?

11. Re: Boller's Deep Ball

Sorry, I meant this post to be it's own thread. I have corrected that mistake.

/Emily Letella "Nevermind"

BTW, who's calling for McNair to get benched now?
    Here ya go!

I only hope BB can find another excuse to bench his rag armed ass like he did sunday when we need some offense in the playoffs.

PopsinPA