Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Could Decosta, Others, Go After Season?

It is a good possibility that in addition to losing Rex Ryan to a HC position, and Neuheisel to a college HC job, that we lose Eric Decosta to a GMs job. With jobs opening up potentially in Detroit and maybe even Cleveland, Decosta could become a hot commodity. He has had two stellar drafts in a row. The 2005 draft was good, but man, the 2006 draft is stickening great including the UDFA signings.

Looks like our staff once again will be pillaged after the season as it always is. Oh well, there is a price to pay for sucess.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Re: Could Decosta, Others, Go After Season?

I don't see that DeCosta will be given a GM position, that's not his strong suit. That said, who knows, anything is possible. With success leads to raids of the winning teams FO & coaching ranks. The NFL is a copy league & winning brings this type of thing on.
    Last edited by PARavensJeff; 12-18-2006 at 01:03 AM.

My youngest son Kyle w/ Michael Phelps after the Browms game 12/24/11

Season Ticket Holder Since 96,
    Loud, Proud & Purple in Section 504. GO RAVENS, all the way to Indy for the Lombardi!!!

Why can't he be our named GM. Ozzie is a VP. Different thing really. If a title is all he wants give it to him.

Yes, SF did want to talk to him, but DeCosta has also saw what has happened to Savage & his troubles in Cleveland. From all accounts I have tead, Savage is not happy in his current position & wants to do more of the scouting side than the management side. There have been rumblings out of Cleveland for a while that they may split the position & have someone take the parts of his job he doesn't want. DeCosta is cut from the same mold, more scouting than GM. I don't think he'll make the same mistake as Savage.

Loud, Proud & Purple in Section 504. GO RAVENS, all the way to Indy for the Lombardi!!!

Detroit might change their GM????

Phil Savage's experience is a good lesson

Sometimes its not worth being promoted to the prestige job if you like exactly what you're doing

Biscotti should just pay DeCosta more and make up a title if necessary --there are no salary caps on the management side!

Detriot has a GM? O yea, that buffoon idiot Matt Millen. :bag:

I have personally talked to Eric DeCosta about the possibility of him leaving the Ravens and he assured me that won't happen. He told me the only way he would leave the Ravens is if he was asked to leave. Eric and his wife started their family while in Baltimore and plan to stay here and raise their children.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Great news, SRF. Thanks.

Why can't he be our named GM. Ozzie is a VP.
    Ozzie is the General Manager, he was given that title a few years ago. And though it might not sound like it, GM is the most prestigious title one can hold for an NFL team, outside of owner. General Manager means you manage the whole thing. The team president, if there is one, doesn't outrank a GM.

Great relief SRF!! I personally think Eric DeCosta is a better draft person than Phil Savage. Also, probably in 10 years or so, Ozzie may retire and the position would be his for the asking.

The Ravens are a first class organization which cannot be duplicated. I bet all of the players and personnel that left us to work for the Browns are less than happy. The Cleveland curse lives on!!

Eric is a wonderful person and a terrific guest speaker. He has attended Ravens Nest 14 meetings every year since he was a regional scout. It has been a pleasure to see him advance his position in the Ravens organization and I can honestly say it couldn't happen to a more deserving person. Eric attends every Ravens Nest 14 May meeting to address the draft choices of the Ravens and to give us the inside scoop on what happened in the war room during the draft each year. If anyone is interested in attending next year, Ravens Nest 14 meets at Meiklejohn's Pub on Liberty Road in Eldersburg, MD on the first Tuesday of each month, starting at 7PM. Eric will be there for the May 2007 meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by SykesvilleRavensFan View Post
    I have personally talked to Eric DeCosta about the possibility of him leaving the Ravens and he assured me that won't happen. He told me the only way he would leave the Ravens is if he was asked to leave. Eric and his wife started their family while in Baltimore and plan to stay here and raise their children.

This is good news, however things can change especially if he gets an offer of a lifetime. For example, I would not leave the Ravens for a GM job in Detroit, Cleveland, or Arizona. That would be career suicide.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!