Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Thoughts On Flacco

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    But how do you know this? Flacco was high enough on the Raven's board to go get him over everyone else except Ryan.

As for the other piece of this, look at the on-field action. Matt Ryan is the starter in Atlanta because he was the best looking QB between him, Redman, Harrington, and whoever the other guy was.

Joe Flacco in his pedestrian effort on Saturday STILL looked better than Troy Smith and Kyle Boller in their games, including throwing the only touchdown of the preseason.

So what is the difference exactly?
    But by that same token we clearly didn't have Flacco high enough on our board to stick and take him at 8. If we had him even in our top ten we'd have stayed put and taken him at 8. As it was, we didn't have him rated that highly and we were able to go down the draft board for him, so that should say all you need to know that Ryan and Flacco aren't on the same level.

In terms of upside, Flacco may be there with Ryan but he's more of unknown quantity and wasn't viewed (seemingly rightfully, he doesn't seem ready to go right know but due to our complete lack of anything else he's becoming an option) as an option to play immediately.

Yes they're both first round quarterbacks, but not all first rounders are equal, there are long term projects, there are low ceiling low bust guys, there are all sorts of picks in the first round and throughout.

Ryan and Flacco might both be first round QBs and in four or five years, far enough, compare them, but for right now you can't place your expectations from one off of what the other is doing. As Fanman said, apples and oranges.

To go alont with what Stockers is saying, there was at least RUMORS, that we were inquiring on the price to move up to STL's pick, seemingly for Ryan. The same rumor says they were looking for an embarrassingly large haul for the pick. Somehting along the lines of 5-6 of our top picks... or 1st 2nd and Suggs....

FWIW, I stick by the fact that Suggs and our first SHOULD have been enough and would have been worth it.

3. Re: Thoughts On Flacco

As far as Matt Ryan is concerned,I remember being quite excited when Atlanta won the early game and we only needed to lose to Pittsburgh to have the juice to go up and get Ryan.
    The Steelers sat Ben R.
    They certainly didn't want Matt Ryan coming at them for the next 10 years.
    He looked very impressive on NFL network.
    I do applaud the f.o. for taking Joe Flacco.
    Maybe we'll get lucky and Joe will develop into a special qb.
    However,Thursday night we'll get a look at what might have been.

1st rounders are 1st rounders. Flacco got a big payday just like Ryan.

In the 1st round, I would think all things are equal to a degree.
    Tell you what. I'll give you $8.75 million, and you give me $34 million, and you let me know what degree of equal you think that comes out to...

This of course says nothing of the fact that no one knows that Ryan will be any good for the Falcons.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    To go alont with what Stockers is saying, there was at least RUMORS, that we were inquiring on the price to move up to STL's pick, seemingly for Ryan. The same rumor says they were looking for an embarrassingly large haul for the pick. Somehting along the lines of 5-6 of our top picks... or 1st 2nd and Suggs....

FWIW, I stick by the fact that Suggs and our first SHOULD have been enough and would have been worth it.
    Matt Ryan > Flacco + Suggs? Seriously???

It wouldn't have been enough anyway...

- C -

Starting a rookie QB ruins their psyche.
    If the rookie is better, he should play.
    Blah, blah, blah.

I don't want Flacco out there because I don't want to see him get a career ending injury due to what is currently shaping up to be the worst starting OT tandem in the NFL.

Let Boller and Smith go out there and sacrifice their bodies to the football Gods. Let our offensive line get better before we toss away a first round pick so carelessly.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by darb72
    Let Boller and Smith go out there and sacrifice their bodies to the football Gods. Let our offensive line get better before we toss away a first round pick so carelessly.
    Although this sort of pessimism is usually not the direction I go in, I tend to agree with darb. Boller practically got killed by that one big hit in the second preseason game. I think Flacco would be better off watching this sorry pass protection from the safety of the sideline for a few games, so he can least realize what he's getting into. And remember that last season, neither McNair or Boller were able to finish the season due to hits they took -- is the pass protection really going to be any better this year?

Yes or no. Flacco is our 1st round pick because he expected to be our franchise QB.

Yes or no. Flacco looked better on Saturday than either either Boller or Smith has looked in preseason.

I don't care how much more money he got than Ryan. We didn't sit until the later rounds to get him like we did Troy Smith.

On Saturday he passed with about as high a completion has Boller has, but had zero turnovers. He's definately outplayed Troy Smith.

We will have to simply disagree. Since I only have us winning 5 games, I don't see why he can't play.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG
    On Saturday he passed with about as high a completion has Boller has, but had zero turnovers.
    Stinger, WTF? I don't recall off the top of my head what Boller's completion rate has been this preseason, but I know it's a lot higher than Flacco's 18 for 37 game this weekend. I'm happy he didn't have any INTs and he played much better in the second half than the first, so I'm encouraged, but 18 for 37 is nothing to get excited about.

I'd prefer to see Flacco not get crushed behind this line right away -- let him watch Smith or Boller run for their lives for a few games.

He can't play because it would destroy his confidence and probably his career. He will stink up the joint with our line and receivers. By week 3 our clueless, dumbass fans will be booing him, or worse yet cheering another injury. In Baltimore it's perceived to be all about the QB and the coach. I don't think our fans will ever see the reality.

Yes or no. Flacco looked better on Saturday than either either Boller or Smith has looked in preseason.

I don't care how much more money he got than Ryan. We didn't sit until the later rounds to get him like we did Troy Smith.

On Saturday he passed with about as high a completion has Boller has, but had zero turnovers. He's definately outplayed Troy Smith.
    Nevermind whether starting a rookie QB could or could not destroy his psyche if he gets killed...

This is simply not true. No, he hasn't outplayed either Smith or Boller...

49% <<< 70%
    Approximately as close as Flacco's signing bonus was to Ryan's.

My eyes are glazing over...

- C -

11. Re: Thoughts On Flacco

<<< I came away from this very encouraged and excited about our future with Joe Flacco.

Me also. Those reps will prove to be a blessing in disguise. He got better with every snap. I don't have any idea when he will get the job but I can not wait.

Quote Originally Posted by BertJonesMyHero View Post
    <<< I came away from this very encouraged and excited about our future with Joe Flacco.

Me also. Those reps will prove to be a blessing in disguise. He got better with every snap. I don't have any idea when he will get the job but I can not wait.
    :word :happyanim :ww:
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens